Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Yeah I think most people who hate on JJ are just jealous. He's making sure this movie is done right. He's a great guy who knows what needs to be done.People hate on JJTrek because it wasn't like the original Trek but it wasn't meant to be from the get go. It was meant to be fresh and new and feel different. A total reboot and I my mind he succeeded.
No, I hate on JJ Trek because the stories make no sense, from a Trek or storyelling or science standpoint. And that, to me, is bad Trek. Trek was always supposed to make you think -- not be something you have to turn your brain off to enjoy. Red matter? Delta Vega suddenly not being on the fringe of explored space, but closer to Vulcan than our moon is to us? An Academy cadet on academic suspension being promoted directly to the rank of Captain? A supernova that will destroy the entire galaxy? And apparently propegating faster than light? The villain showing up in the past and not immediately warning his people/turning over his super-advanced spaceship so they can conquer the galaxy? And so on and so on.

He said at the time he was making Trek '09 that he wanted to make Star Trek more like Star Wars -- which is utterly missing the point of Star Trek. I have high hopes for him on Star Wars, though.

--Jonah

No, I hate on JJ Trek because the stories make no sense, from a Trek or storyelling or science standpoint. And that, to me, is bad Trek. Trek was always supposed to make you think -- not be something you have to turn your brain off to enjoy. Red matter? Delta Vega suddenly not being on the fringe of explored space, but closer to Vulcan than our moon is to us? An Academy cadet on academic suspension being promoted directly to the rank of Captain? A supernova that will destroy the entire galaxy? And apparently propegating faster than light? The villain showing up in the past and not immediately warning his people/turning over his super-advanced spaceship so they can conquer the galaxy? And so on and so on.

He said at the time he was making Trek '09 that he wanted to make Star Trek more like Star Wars -- which is utterly missing the point of Star Trek. I have high hopes for him on Star Wars, though.

--Jonah

I agree entirely. I think his approach was completely wrong for Star Trek because he was trying to turn it into a Star Wars movie, but that's exactly why I think he's perfect for a Star Wars movie. For a start, he actually respects the source material and the fans, and secondly, that action adventure approach fits what Star Wars is about.

I really disliked what he did with the Star Trek franchise, but Star Wars is a completely different animal, so that doesn't negatively affect how I feel about him being in charge of Star Wars. I have very high hopes for The Force Awakens, and am also glad he's away from my Trek. ;)

I personally loved JJ Trek because I wasn't a big original Trek fan and loved that he made it more like Star Wars. So I can definitely feel for those who are huge original Trek fans and do understand that side of the negativity. But that's why the JJ Trek films worked for ME personally.

There are plenty people who love the new trek and loved trek before the new movies, my husband and father-in-law included. And my father in law grew up watching the original series when it was first airing.

There are plenty people who love the new trek and loved trek before the new movies, my husband and father-in-law included. And my father in law grew up watching the original series when it was first airing.

Yep I am in for a penny in for a pound on all iterations of Trek.

Its easy to point fingers at JJA's ST movies for being too SW-like in hindsight. But remember where the ST franchise was at the time. Maybe JJA took it too far but it wasn't a bad idea and I think it was better overdone than underdone at that time. ST's mainstream appeal was in deep trouble at the time.

Also, people always say, "I wish the current ST was more traditional, just let SW be SW". But it's easy to say that today, now that we know there will ever be another SW movie! In 2008 the SW franchise had absolutely no foreseeable future. Whe first new ST movie came out in 2009 I remember saying, "well at least maybe ST can be our SW from now on."

I personally loved JJ Trek because I wasn't a big original Trek fan and loved that he made it more like Star Wars. So I can definitely feel for those who are huge original Trek fans and do understand that side of the negativity. But that's why the JJ Trek films worked for ME personally.
Yeah. I grew up with both. My take has been: When I'm in the mood for Trek, I'll watch Trek; and when I'm in the mood for Wars, I'll watch Wars. One is taut character drama, socio-political self-examination (with appropriate amounts of humor and action and romance mixed in, kinda like life)... and the other is High Concept operatic myth. They're each best when they remember that.

I was a huge star trek fan and loved the first JJ film, darkness wasn't that bad, but they should never have made it about Khan.
I loved moments in both. They're well-cast, well-acted, and there's a decent amount of good dialogue and visually stunning shots... But they both break down under the slightest examination. From the general to the specific -- characters having aborted arcs, or no motivation, or behaving in ways they shouldn't... Truly bad science in both, when Trek always strove to get it right (even allowing for conceits like subspace, FTL drive, transporters, and whatnot)... Things that make someone who knows the content of the Trek universe twitch, like this new Enterprise -- which masses about what the Enterprise-D in Next Generation did -- with its massive, massive warp engines... being built on the ground rather than in space. Never mind that every previous iteration of Trek had ship construction mostly or entirely in space. Building hat thing on the ground is putting unnecessary strain on the structural members and all that mass is going to have to boost out of Earth's gravity (putting more strain on the structural members), which is far more intensive than just building it in space... like they did the Vengeance.

The whole climax of Into Darkness fell flat. Either 1) the audience member(s) have seen TWOK and see what's going on with the reversed Kirk/Spock sacrifice to save the ship thing and are chuckling all throughout, or 2) the audience member(s) have not seen TWOK, but know nothing bad is going to happen to the captain, so they're not worried. Either way, the entire sequence doesn't have the emotional impact it's obviously supposed to. Spock yelling "KHAAAAAAAAN!!!" was just... yeah... :facepalm

And I had really, really wanted Benedict Cumberbatch to be playing Gary Mitchell, and Alice Eve to be playing Elizabeth Dehner. Benedict would have been lovely to have go from normal and Kirk's friend to scenery-chewing godling trying to kill his now-former friend. *shrug* Oh, well. Opportunity lost.

*nod* Everyone I know who grew up with TOS, or was part of the original viewing audience in the '60s (like my folks) have all commented on the same things being the reasons they liked these new ones -- the characters -- especially Spock and McCoy, with Chekov getting an honorable mention -- were quite close to the originals, and poked them hard in the nostalgia nerve, an effect amplified by fifty thousand "Look! We're Star Trek! See?!" elements liberally sprinkled throughought, from computer and equipment sound effects, to McCoy's "I'm a doctor, not a _______" cracks, to Spock's eyebrow lift, and so on. On second viewing, my mom started to notice the things that were off. Now she's hoping the next time they try rebooting Trek they "get it right". But, like me, she'd be happy watching two hours of Quinto's Spock and Urban's McCoy verbally sparring.

Ironically, a lot of this, inside-out, sums up my issues with the Prequels -- the people making the films not getting what made the original films click and, despite having good actors, great visuals, and a smattering of good character and dialogue moments... just didn't fit.

--Jonah

I hate JJ because trek was bad film making. The narrative didn't work. The logic didn't work. It was insulting to the genre and to the audience.

It was an emperors new clothes scenario. Everything was so ramped up to 11, that he hoped you didn't notice that he forgot how to tell a story that anyone would want to watch a second time.

As bad as the prequels were, I enjoy re-watching them

Animal abusers are hateworthy, domestic abusers are hateworthy, movie directors who make a movie are not deserving of hate just because you didn't like said movie. Hate the finished product all you want, all film is subjective and you are entitled to your opinion, but save your hatred for someone who deserves it, not someone just doing a job they were hired to do to put food on the table for their family.

I chuckle at the above notion.
I don't think you should "hate" a filmmaker based on the films they make. After all they could be a lovely person privately. But you certainly can hate their filmmaking.

I think it is generally understood that one means that as so few of us are personal with filmmakers.

The idea that J.J. Abrams made Star Trek to feed his family is pretty funny to me. Sure the man has got to eat but that doesn't mean he isn't motivated creatively.
It is not his diet of honestly earned food that one could hate. Just our diet of the crumby movies he makes.

Last edited:
I hate JJ because trek was bad film making. The narrative didn't work. The logic didn't work. It was insulting to the genre and to the audience.

It was an emperors new clothes scenario. Everything was so ramped up to 11, that he hoped you didn't notice that he forgot how to tell a story that anyone would want to watch a second time.

As bad as the prequels were, I enjoy re-watching them

Well this anyone did watch it a second time, and a third, and a fourth, and a fifth.

Just because you hate something, dont assume everyone else shares your opinion.

New image of the J.J. Abram's vision of the film has come out.... :lol

Love those lens flares
star wars.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back