The Walking Dead Ricks Silenced Pistol

An improvised silencer IRL is probably only going to work once, as in for one shot, especially for a semi auto. TWD is a fantasy show, so I can forgive maglights on the front of non gun glocks and berettas that don't cycle. Maybe ISS put those together with the their non gun flash caps, or heck the prop guys built them on airsoft guns and the rest is CGI.

Granted, someone with some knowledge, a lot of the proper sized washers and pipe and a tap and die set can make a suppressor/silencer at home. It would not be the whole maglight in that case though, just the battery tube/handle. Like the silencers used in Boondock Saints.

All we've seen so far are scattered ragtag groups of survivors; no organized military or police presence, no large well-organized gangs, nothing like that, even after a year has passed. Walkers don't use guns (well, not in this story, anyway), so many of those shops could still be intact.

I think a lot more happened prior to Rick waking up than we've seen on screen. FEMA, CDC, and National Guard units have all been deployed. We've seen the aftermath of major engagements in downtown ATL, at the CDC lab, and heard about the army fort (McPherson or Gillem?). IMO, people would start looting gun stores right away.

However, this group has missed a lot of great scrounging opportunities. Especially at the CDC. They could be fully loaded with M16s, M4s, M9s, grenades, and crew serve weapons. It's unlikely all the ammo dumps were empty.

I'd take a M16A2 or M4A1 over a hunting rifle any day. :love

I'd take a Ruger 10/22 rifle. You can carry A LOT of ammo, easy to find, more quiet (sub sonic ammo) and anyone can be taught to shoot it, like a child. But I digress.

This is all really simple.

Get your people to the nearest seaport and find a cruise ship (alternately, but not as good, a Navy ship)...take it a few miles off the coast and set it to "hover' in one place in the Atlantic ocean.

Zombies don't float.

Diesel turbines for power, food for 4000 people for a week, medical supplies, pools, a gym, movies, etc.

Wait until the Zombies burn out (they can't run forever, that would be "free energy" right?) and cruise back to port full of fatty food and those fruity exotic drinks with the little umbrellas...

DONE.

NO NEED TO MAKE FLASHLIGHT SUPRESSORS.

M16s aren't rocket science. They were built to be tough, reliable and simple. That's why we're still using (essentially) the same carrier since the Vietnam War. Plus the added benefit of using either 5.56mm or .223 Remington ammo interchangably without mods.

Back to suppressors ... If someone in the group had a working knowledge of how to make a suppressor. And they found a hardware store with the right supplies. And it didn't require any major machining. Then maybe, just maybe, they could. But most likely they'd have to hold it against the muzzle when firing. I doubt they could find a way to permanently attach it to normal semi-autos.

Anyhow, the show is riddled with firearm mistakes. So I won't let this one get me down, but it is hilarious to watch them use it now. :lol

Get your people to the nearest seaport and find a cruise ship (alternately, but not as good, a Navy ship)...take it a few miles off the coast and set it to "hover' in one place in the Atlantic ocean.

Zombies don't float.

Diesel turbines for power, food for 4000 people for a week, medical supplies, pools, a gym, movies, etc.

Wait until the Zombies burn out (they can't run forever, that would be "free energy" right?) and cruise back to port full of fatty food and those fruity exotic drinks with the little umbrellas...

DONE.

Great Plan! Oh wait, what happens when there's a zombie outbreak on the ship, or the food spoils, or the engines fail, or the water purifiers fail, or the crew dies and there's no one to operate the helm? :facepalm

These are just the scenerios off the top of my head.

I'll take dry land. Thank you very much.

Zombies don't float.

DONE.

You should read "World War Z" if you haven't already.

For those of you not familiar with the cities of Georgia, Lawrenceville is in the suburbs north eastish of Atlanta. They've headed south west, way down into the boonies near the Georgia/Alabama line. They said something about Newnan, and most things known as "West Georgia" are right near Alabama.

I'd take a Ruger 10/22 rifle. You can carry A LOT of ammo, easy to find, more quiet (sub sonic ammo) and anyone can be taught to shoot it, like a child. But I digress.

There was one of these in the Police armory that Rick raided in the first season. I have never understood why they aren't using .22 long rifle cartridge weapons. Easy to shoot, low recoil and you can carry hundreds of rounds easily. It has more than enough power to penetrate a human skull, just ask the O.S.S, C.I.A. or N.S.A.. Plus the .22 lr cartridge is much more quite than a .9mm, .357 or rifle cartridge. You could probably find them in many houses, the .22 is very popular.

Most Police departments will have at least a couple of suppressed firearms for animal control. They may only be .22 rifles, or pistols, but that would not be a bad thing.

They have shown that they are raiding houses, which is what they should have been doing from the beginning, so it is quite likely they found the silenced pistols in a house(s).

David.

There was one of these in the Police armory that Rick raided in the first season. I have never understood why they aren't using .22 long rifle cartridge weapons. Easy to shoot, low recoil and you can carry hundreds of rounds easily. It has more than enough power to penetrate a human skull, just ask the O.S.S, C.I.A. or N.S.A.. Plus the .22 lr cartridge is much more quite than a .9mm, .357 or rifle cartridge. You could probably find them in many houses, the .22 is very popular.

Most Police departments will have at least a couple of suppressed firearms for animal control. They may only be .22 rifles, or pistols, but that would not be a bad thing.

They have shown that they are raiding houses, which is what they should have been doing from the beginning, so it is quite likely they found the silenced pistols in a house(s).

David.
Quite true.New Orleans P.D. S.W.A.T. uses .22LR Ruger 10/22 rifles for pest control on Nutrias(Large imported rodents) I'm building an AR-15 .2LR rifle myself.If I had to hump a rifle it would have to be my Ar in .22 L R. Good ammo would not be that hard to find.

Last edited:
I also have no idea why they are not using 22lr guns. If a head shot is the only way to kill them. You dont need a 9mm Glock. 22 ammo is lighter to carry, its everywhere, and much easier to suppress.
I myself would still grab my Glock. But i would use my Tec-22 or Ruger 10/22 suppresed.
That being said. A Maglight suppressor will work. But i tried this years ago, with the light facing OUT. And on a Tec-22. But mounting it on the hard plastic lens cover not best idea. The back battery cap best.
The way this is done is only if the Glock has a 1/2 inch-28 threaded barrel, with an end cap(nut). You would have to drill a 7/16 hole in center of plastic lens. Place lens over the barrel, and screw on end cap over lens. Then replace lens on Maglight(after adding suppressing material inside). But im shure the lens would not last long before it cracks and suppressor "pops" off.
The Berreta would also have to be treaded. The pick looks like a hose clamp is holding it on to the longer barrel end. That would NOT work. It would pop off first round. It may work on a fixed barrel rifle, or fixed barrel hand gun (ex Colt/Ruger target).
I like the fact they started to use supressors in the show. But an aluminum sports bottle, or shampo bottle would do. But only if they even found threaded hand guns.

Last edited:
Good points about the .22LR ... If you're one of the few prepared enough to already own the right survival equipment, this AR-7 should be in your arsenal.

Good points about the .22LR ... If you're one of the few prepared enough to already own the right survival equipment, this AR-7 should be in your arsenal.
AR-7s are meant for emergency, not for long-term use. A regular old ruger 10-22 is better in every possible category other than stowage.

Not many rifles can handle full combat situations, but with the frequency we see the group on TWD using rifles I'll hazard to say the AR-7 would hold up just fine.

Also, don't miss understand me, I'm not saying just carry that one, but its a good rifle to keep in your go-bag.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back