"Mad Max - Road Warrior" Grappling Hook Buggy

Hi folks

This is a model of the grappling hook buggy from the Mad Max sequel Road Warrior. The buggy is seen in the final chase scene with the big tanker truck. Some of the bad guys show up behind the truck and the passenger throws a grappling hook onto the trailer. Then the driver loses control and the buggy rolls over several times, still being towed by the truck...:facepalm:lol

The model is mostly built from scratch, using parts from various kits. The chassis is from an old Revell VW Bug, the wheels came from Revell´s Trabant and the Corvair engine is from AMT´s blueprinter parts pack. Everything else was done with some stuff from the spare parts box, styrene rods and heated and stretched sprue. Additionally the engine was upgraded with a scratchbuilt turbocharger setup.

Sadly I only have the following indoor pics. The model was sold to a collector before I could take some better outdoor pics. Here´s an extensive walkaround (in case somebody want to do the same...:rolleyes). It should be roughly 85% screen correct. There are zero references available for this particular vehicle, just a few scenes from the movie.

6630336530626439.jpg

3931656530373634.jpg

6430343866626564.jpg

3633616134633661.jpg

3530393965306130.jpg

3466383962376466.jpg

6330633734353864.jpg

6232363964663837.jpg

3936366363363438.jpg

6331346163363062.jpg

6636356164616431.jpg

3661376233646365.jpg

6130316234376131.jpg

3966656365303635.jpg

3132313761343234.jpg

3935316664643465.jpg

6264613734353861.jpg

3163303934363961.jpg

3561653462376666.jpg

6433663965313239.jpg

3666386263653961.jpg

3662653438373864.jpg

3930663136633434.jpg

6163376231656431.jpg

3065623765663735.jpg

6234353463306461.jpg

That´s it. The buggy was another experimental build. Just like the International Scout, which is shown in my Fall Guy WIP. I used this model to learn how to paint rusted surfaces. I needed that technique for the chassis of my Death Proof Nova build. It took me about three weeks to get this model done.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Best regards,
Kevin

as a big Road Warrior fan (I built a diorama with the semi, the gyro copter and several of the vehicles) all I can say is

nice work. beautiful weathering

Thats just amazing! It screams Mad Max... Very well done!

Id like to do the Escape from NY cab some day. Youve done that one?

Your weathering techniques are awesome! What media and tools ( airbrush, brush )
are you using to achieve this?

Very nice work. The paint/weathering is very subtle and "scale". Great subject, too. Not enough Mad Max around here! Well done.

I second what jasonw2112 said- can you give us a lesson on your technique(s)?

Thanks for the feedback, glad you like it.

@NAZGÜL:
No, haven´t done anything from the Snake Plissken flicks yet. I´m not aware of a model for the Checker Cab. Is there a resin kit available? Would be interesting.

@All:
Somebody asked the same question about the rust on a different forum, where I have posted my Death Proof Nova. The technique is basically the same. All was done with a brush, the buggy has never seen an airbrush. For the rust I only used 3 colors, all Revell enamels. Here is my "copy and paste description" from the Nova WIP on the other forum.

First step:
I did little covering spots with flat brown (85) in various corners where the rust is naturally growing stronger. While the brown was still a little wet, I added flat yellow (15) with the smallest brush and mixed it partially into the brown. Then I added tiny spots of flat rust (83) here and there and also mixed it with the other colors while still wet. Then I did let it dry over night. When step one is done, it looks really crappy as it is a heavy contrast to the semigloss black which was applied first.

Second step:
Use the three colors for several light coats of drybrushing. Only drybrush the areas that are still clean black. Use the same order with the colors as in step one. Drybrush everything with brown first, then use yellow for low-lying surfaces and rust for the raised areas. Now it will start to look better. Let it dry again over night.

Third step:
You look at your previous work and figure out where you have to add additional coats to make it look more realistic. You can use the steps 1 & 2 as needed now. Again let it dry over night.

Fourth step:
On the rear axle and everything else behind the exhaust outlet I drybrushed flat black to simulate the mess from exhaust gases. You can also use black for the areas where the rust turned out to be too much. But use it very careful as it will eliminate the rusted areas very fast.. Time to dry again...

Fifth and last step:
Use a medium grey to simulate road dirt on the whole chassis. A light drybrush will damp the rust effect and make the whole chassis look quite good. That´s it. Not difficult but a little time consuming. I hope it is described comprehensible, I´m German...

The different steps in the description can be understood as a more careful version of what was done on the buggy. The base color of the buggy was gunship grey, which is barely recognizable after the rust was added. It´s just a rusty mess on the model, the Nova is accomplished much finer.
I hope the steps are a little help.

Best regards,
Kevin

PS:
There will be another re-release of the Interceptor kit from Aoshima available in mid-october. This time with some photo-etched parts. I´ve already pre-ordered it from a guy in Australia.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips!:thumbsup

Thanks for the feedback, glad you like it.

@NAZGÜL:
No, haven´t done anything from the Snake Plissken flicks yet. I´m not aware of a model for the Checker Cab. Is there a resin kit available? Would be interesting.

@All:
Somebody asked the same question about the rust on a different forum, where I have posted my Death Proof Nova. The technique is basically the same. All was done with a brush, the buggy has never seen an airbrush. For the rust I only used 3 colors, all Revell enamels. Here is my "copy and paste description" from the Nova WIP on the other forum.

First step:
I did little covering spots with flat brown (85) in various corners where the rust is naturally growing stronger. While the brown was still a little wet, I added flat yellow (15) with the smallest brush and mixed it partially into the brown. Then I added tiny spots of flat rust (83) here and there and also mixed it with the other colors while still wet. Then I did let it dry over night. When step one is done, it looks really crappy as it is a heavy contrast to the semigloss black which was applied first.

Second step:
Use the three colors for several light coats of drybrushing. Only drybrush the areas that are still clean black. Use the same order with the colors as in step one. Drybrush everything with brown first, then use yellow for low-lying surfaces and rust for the raised areas. Now it will start to look better. Let it dry again over night.

Third step:
You look at your previous work and figure out where you have to add additional coats to make it look more realistic. You can use the steps 1 & 2 as needed now. Again let it dry over night.

Fourth step:
On the rear axle and everything else behind the exhaust outlet I drybrushed flat black to simulate the mess from exhaust gases. You can also use black for the areas where the rust turned out to be too much. But use it very careful as it will eliminate the rusted areas very fast.. Time to dry again...

Fifth and last step:
Use a medium grey to simulate road dirt on the whole chassis. A light drybrush will damp the rust effect and make the whole chassis look quite good. That´s it. Not difficult but a little time consuming. I hope it is described comprehensible, I´m German...

The different steps in the description can be understood as a more careful version of what was done on the buggy. The base color of the buggy was gunship grey, which is barely recognizable after the rust was added. It´s just a rusty mess on the model, the Nova is accomplished much finer.
I hope the steps are a little help.

Best regards,
Kevin

PS:
There will be another re-release of the Interceptor kit from Aoshima available in mid-october. This time with some photo-etched parts. I´ve already pre-ordered it from a guy in Australia.

@NAZGÜL:

I havent heard of any. I dont have any knowledge about car models, but shouldnt some maker do a cab?

Thanks alot for your comments guys.:thumbsup

@NAZGÙL:
I´m pretty sure that there is someone out there who makes the Cabs in resin. I´ll stick to the distinctive movie cars before going on the hunt for rare stuff. Still need to find a kit of the A-Team van...and a ****load of other kits...:rolleyes

Thanks guys

I grew up with Revell´s enamels and for a long time there was nothing else available in my area. They are great for models like this buggy, but when it comes to nice glossy paintjobs they can be hard to work with. Another bad thing is that they take forever to cure. Tamiya paints are now my favorite for painting car bodies as it is much easier to get pleasing results.

Cheers,
Kevin

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back