Skyrim: WabbaJack

Yodajammies

Sr Member
"And as for you, my little mortal minion... Feel free to keep the Wabbajack. As a symbol of my... Oh, just take the damn thing."
―Sheogorath

The Wabbajack is a Daedric Artifact of Sheogorath, given to the Dragonborn during the quest The Mind of Madness. The mysterious staff that casts an unpredictable spell which ranges from transforming enemies into other creatures or items to casting a random Destruction spell to even healing your enemies.

Sounds like fun, let's build it!

7186854087_6974de0350_b.jpg

Again with the junkless naked scaling guy. Eesh.
7186853869_8c89070b82_b.jpg

The original idea was to sculpt on top of this armature and make a silicone plug for the void in the headpiece. Turns out the pvc was way too flimsy in those thin sections and kept cracking the clay. I went ahead and filled in the core, and decided to just deal with it after casting.

7161952639_61fbb3e419_c.jpg

7161953701_f9fe2c9e6e_c.jpg

7372077010_2cd5a0f45f_c.jpg

The finished sculpt -

7186891175_08874cbb2e_c.jpg

One quick Rebound25 mold with plaster bandage jacket later -

7166845845_80f66c96a3_b.jpg

7360118930_63078b9db4_b.jpg

Cold cast with Aluminum powder -

7360124598_16d669bdd4_c.jpg

And here's that "we will deal with it later problem" coming back to bite me in the butt. I used a hole saw to remove most of the core, but wow there was a lot of dremeling left to do on the rest of it.

7183741585_69c2e80ac9_c.jpg

Feels like deja vu after doing such a write up on my facebook page, but here's the long and short of it -

So for this progression I did a stippled acrylic wash with a standard throwaway chip brush, then noted the color in the photo as seen in the upper left. For the shots with no color swatch, I did your basic charcoal black wash and feathered things out with isopropyl alcohol.

7369271098_32b438067d_h.jpg

any plans on making these available? also, did you cast this solid? a hollow slush cast would have made for quicker dremmeling. says Captain Hindsight. :)

WABBAJACK!!!

WABBAJACK!!!!!!

WABBAJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol

Looking awesome man! Been thinking of making a magic staff myself, but haven't figured out which one is in my talent range.

Chris

a hollow slush cast would have made for quicker dremmeling. says Captain Hindsight

Yes, these were slush cast to the best of my ability. I'm not THAT much of a glutton for punishment to try and carve out a solid brick of resin.

As for doing a run of these, I'll tell you what I told the guy on facespace -

"You must not be familiar with the lore of this artifact. There can be ONLY one WabbaJack in existence at any one time, else the entire universe may unravel into chaos.

That said, yes, I'll probably make more."

Not sure if/when I'll do a run, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble to make 4 or 5 of these.

Following the KISS rule - For the staff body I'm planning on using a simple replacement rake handle from Home Depot.

heh, i said it mostly in jest. how are you planning on making their goatees down the rake handle? epoxy putty? bondo?

So we've come to the point now where all the parts and pieces are molded and cast. Now it's just a matter of sanding and sanding and sanding and sanding, then a little paint and viola.

I put the cart before the horse and cast the end of the staff onto the final piece BEFORE I got the beards on, so I ended up having to gut the "neck" portion to install it after the fact. It's always something with these builds.

7450277920_dbce15652e_b.jpg

It's surprisingly not a leadweight, yet once I've got it painted up to look like metal it will feel substantial in your hands. I unknowingly got pretty darn close with the counter weighted base, so it actually has a decent balance.

As of last night, everything is assembled and epoxied onto the staff. Now just a couple hours of elbow grease, sandpaper and spit, and we'll be ready to paint it up and call it a day.

7454202832_6b55671098_b.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back