Valley Forge Close-up panel build FINISHED :-)

Lee S

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, no I'm not going to rebuild the whole 8m long miniature!

But I always remembered this shot from the film and how I wanted to build a model with a mini TV inside to replicate the look.
8+silent+running.png

7+silent+running.png

Does anyone spot any kit pieces? I'm guessing this was a fairly big piece so I'm aiming to recreate it smaller .5m-.75m wide (2-2.5ft)

Thanks in advance.
L

Last edited:
Re: Valley Forge kit IDing

Hey Lee! Long time no chat. :)

They used a bunch of Plastruct on there including things like fence rails. They also bought a huge stash of Bandai tank kits. Sorry to say, every single one of them is now a collector's item. There are big 1/15 scale tanks and 1/30 scale tanks. Maybe 1/24, can't remember.

Ask Gene K., he knows more about it and ID'd a lot of the kit parts.

Absolutely swamped this week/weekend, so I don't know if i will be able to dig up kit scans. Off the top of my head, and subject to memory lapses, you will need multiples of:
- Bandai's 1/30 Hueschrecke ( a truely weird weapon)
- Bandai's 1/30 Panzer IV Lang L70 ( the one that has a fixed turret)
- Bandai's 1/15 Pz IV
- Plastruct ladder
- Plastruct plastic coated wire

Seriously, you will need to cast up multiples of a LOT of parts. The otagonal plates are from the Hueschrecke. The hulls on the left are from the Pz. IV Lang kit (trimmed). Then there are wheel hubs, hatches and brake hatch covers from the bigger Pz. IV kit.

Good luck. A couple of us gave up on this for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which was wall space.

Gene

Thanks Gene!!

I did wonder what size it was, especially as the camera starts so close. That's my reasoning for thinking of doing it 1/2 scale. Still cracks me up that it's a very obvious photo of the close up section stuck on the main miniature.

No super hurry on the other info, like everyone I have plenty to keep me busy :)

L

Seems if it might work if I started with

1/76th Hueschrecke (No chance :))
1/76th Panzer IV Lang L70 (Matchbox?)
1/35 Pz IV (Testors)

But I'll wait for any kit scans you have.

Thanks again,
L

Speaking of this ship, are their any clear images of that NASA style mission graphic to the upper left of the port?

Still cracks me up that it's a very obvious photo of the close up section stuck on the main miniature.

L

What? Why are you destroying my illusions!? That's like telling me that you were watching a Godzilla movie and you could see, I don't know, wires or something!

I never noticed that before. Now I'll never not notice it. :cry

Any news on this project? I'd like to have a half-scale wall hanging of this, either with a small digital frame or a backlit slide in the "kitchen window."

Tom

Hi, Lee. I trust you have a copy of the Cinefex #8. This is on the inside back cover.

I can get you Blu-ray screencaps, if that would help.

It is so great to see these parts identified. :thumbsup

-- Mark

NICE!
I do have that issue, but it's in storage right now.
Thanks for the offer, I do have high res screen caps. But photo is worth 1000 screen caps!

L

Hi Guys ,
Ive had a little experience with this ship .
I can help out with the vector files for the symbols and letters if you need them.
Contact me .
Tony

Thanks Tony!! I'll certainly give you a shout when the time comes.
I think this will be the next build for more after the Narcissus is completed (or atleast started). There's a couple of kits that might be a pain to get.

L

Thanks Tony!! I'll certainly give you a shout when the time comes.
I think this will be the next build for more after the Narcissus is completed (or atleast started). There's a couple of kits that might be a pain to get.

L
Look forward to it ...
Good luck with the kits.
T

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back