Hobbit Sword LOTR Build

Popeanator

This sword build is no specific hobbit's sword.
This idea came form BFX on there video here

Pirates of the Caribbean : Sword Tutorial: DIY - YouTube

The main difference is that I used Mild Steel and not aluminium.
Mild steel is much cheaper and you can buy it by the meter, also It adds
some weight to the sword.

I used a 3mm thick piece by 40mm. The total length is 600mm, I cut it down a bit. It only cost me $1.65 for the entire piece of metal.

HOBBIT+SWORDS+(1).jpg

lotr-fellowship-hobbits.jpg

Is is the sword so far,

DSCN1309.JPG

DSCN1308.JPG

This is the sword compared with a 40cm ruler.

DSCN1311.JPG

As I have all the materials already from other builds it will be very cheap to make.

More to come soon. :)

Last edited:
Update

I cut out the craft foam the shape of the blade. To make it more safe I made the tip soft by adding a middle section of foam.

DSCN1312.JPG

DSCN1314.JPG

The handle is EVA foam **** in half length ways to make is thinner then warped that around the metal handle and used gaffer tape over the top. Going to paint it to look like leather.

DSCN1315.JPG

DSCN1317.JPG

This is the two halves of the foam glued onto the metal and the edge has been Dremeled to give is a sharp look.

DSCN1318.JPG

DSCN1320.JPG

Eva foam for the Hand guard in two pieces just shaped it a bit with the Dremel then hot glued it onto the handle. I made it over lap the blade to make them look more like one piece. added a small strip of craft foam bellow the hand grip.

DSCN1323.JPG

DSCN1326.JPG

DSCN1327.JPG

Painted the handle with black acrylic paint. Made a pummel section with 3 pieces of EVA deep and used the Dremel to shape it.

DSCN1330.JPG

DSCN1331.JPG

DSCN1332.JPG

That is the sword so far. Going to seal it with some PVA glue and then paint.
I'm very happy with it so far. Looks great and has a nice weight to it. Will be awesome when painted. I think it's great for my first sword build. :)

hey, cool build! This is my FAVORITE sword prop from the entire series...very sad that there isn't a metal official replica anywhere

Hobbit Sword Completed

Here is the hobbit sword done! Iost the other progress pictures but here you go. Sorry it took so long to post this.:facepalm

IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3304.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

Looks nice an old. This is a great sword. If I make a second one it will be 10x better.:)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back