1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Hi Gang,

A quick morning update... This is what I'm working to have laser cut next! I'm working on the 2D files and hope to have something cut and "functional" by the weekend :)

ConsoleLever_zps624b35a8.jpg

Stay Tuned!

Wow I had not thought of laser cutting MDF for the beds. That would make it really easy to produce the inner panels (with perfect holes..). Will be investigating that now!!

Man, those laser cut pieces are AWESOME!!

I need to get my hands on one of those. I can only imagine the time that is saving you!

Great greeblie weeblies! The new (old) console is looking cool!

Hi P,

Thanks! The laser cutter is an AMAZING time saver. I actually find "myself" waiting for a change! Nearly everything from this point forward will be done on the CNC and Laser Cutter. I'm slowly building my collection of 2D files to be printed. I'm having too much fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow I had not thought of laser cutting MDF for the beds. That would make it really easy to produce the inner panels (with perfect holes..). Will be investigating that now!!

Hey C,

If you have access - do it! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I love seeing how this has evolved.. Keep up the great work..

Thanks so much! It's going to get real interesting in the next few weeks! Hang on!

Hey C,

If you have access - do it! :)

I have found many companies who will produce it over here from vector files, that seems like a neat way to effectively get a "pre-cut" ready to build model. I am thinking that things like the centre console could be built as a sectional build, delivered to me with all the holes pre-cut for LEDs, switches, lights, knobs, etc.

I have found many companies who will produce it over here from vector files, that seems like a neat way to effectively get a "pre-cut" ready to build model. I am thinking that things like the centre console could be built as a sectional build, delivered to me with all the holes pre-cut for LEDs, switches, lights, knobs, etc.

That's exactly what we're doing now. Starkiller is getting the console panels ready for the CNC. All the holes will be predilled. I'm also attempting to dissect the lever greeblie I posted this morning. There appears to be at least 5 main pieces.

Another question: How close are the dimensions of those big rocker switch-looking greeblies to the kind of rocker-type light switches one gets at Home Depot?

TiA,
Harv

Another question: How close are the dimensions of those big rocker switch-looking greeblies to the kind of rocker-type light switches one gets at Home Depot?

TiA,
Harv

I don't think anybody has been able to correctly identify what those rocker knobs are so people have been fabricating their own. The interesting thing is that many of them had a spacer underneath. Look bottom left side - black and silver rockers:

Shadow of Reflection: Movie Screencaps R-S: Click image to close this window

http://ladymanson.com/galleries/movies/MoviesRS/displayimage.php?pid=110156&fullsize=1

How big are those switches that you reproduced. BTW my gf has now agreed to my ideas, of course I didn't explain about the whole thing……. I just said a spaceship...

My understanding was that the prop dept fabbed them out of wood, which would make sense, for a number of reasons. Not the least of which being that sliding rocker switches (as seen in the MF cockpit etc) are not a thing in the real world. I was just curious about the dimensions (Length and width) for purposes of possibly making the non-sliding ones functional, not that you guys are going in that direction. Just doing my own head scratching.

- - - Updated - - -

Figuring out how to make sliding rocker switches both slide and rock is a headscratcher I'll save for later. :)

My understanding was that the prop dept fabbed them out of wood, which would make sense, for a number of reasons. Not the least of which being that sliding rocker switches (as seen in the MF cockpit etc) are not a thing in the real world. I was just curious about the dimensions (Length and width) for purposes of possibly making the non-sliding ones functional, not that you guys are going in that direction. Just doing my own head scratching.

- - - Updated - - -

Figuring out how to make sliding rocker switches both slide and rock is a headscratcher I'll save for later. :)

I always assumed the sliders were not meant to be rockers. I kind of figure the varied shapes were "indicators" for what they are meant to do. Seeing as there are no labels

How big are those switches that you reproduced. BTW my gf has now agreed to my ideas, of course I didn't explain about the whole thing……. I just said a spaceship...

I'm pretty sure the rockers varied in sizes. The rockers of the chest packs and within the XWing look a bit bigger than the ones on the MF. I could be wrong.

And since the GF has agreed - go full force and don't look back! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi H,

That's exactly right. The sliders are a very interesting greeblie - edge connectors with rockers. The original Vector edge connectors are approx 175mm by 8mm. I can give you exact measurements if you want. I don't think the movie sliders were ever meant to rock (they never moved). They are very similar to sound mixing sliders. I'm attempting to make ours slide up and down. I'll leave it to our tech guys to make the even more functional! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I always assumed the sliders were not meant to be rockers. I kind of figure the varied shapes were "indicators" for what they are meant to do. Seeing as there are no labels

The sliders controlled something. I'm going to chat with our tech guys and see what they can come up with. Note: the sliders are positioned above the vertical guages. For all intent and purposes - they may have controlled whatever was associated with those gauges.

From what I can tell, nothing had a label in the ANH cockpit. A few labels popped up here and there on the ESB / RotJ cockpit - but there wasn't much.

- - - Updated - - -

It's been interesting for the last two years!

Thank you, Sir. Just hoping to keep the interest up. :)

Hi DJ,

Good News: Chris Lee and I had a quick chat regarding the current center console. The reason for all the changes and my saving the signatures is because this particular console has become a "standalone console" - it will not be part of the cockpit. It will be a separate piece with seats and working lights and sound. This is where we will get people to sign.

We're working on the newer console that will be more ESB and signature free. We're working the final dimensions to have the CNC cut all the panels for easy assembly. More on that later!

Stay Tuned!
Really impressive!!:eek

Wow. I miss logging into the RPF for a couple days and all hell breaks lose. Amazing progress SK. The tweaks to the console are looking great.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back