1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Hi Gang,

Sanding is not easy...
20140126_143909_zps6d6885fb.jpg

20140126_143914_zpsb10a88a3.jpg

20140126_143923_zps27c208ac.jpg

Quick layer of flat black. The inside will be sprayed with texture to help hide all the imperfections
20140126_144100_zps19267990.jpg

20140126_144106_zps638b98a4.jpg

Nice and smooth
20140126_144114_zpsa3a820c3.jpg

20140126_144118_zps2b08445b.jpg

20140126_144126_zpsaf0bf533.jpg

More to Follow!

Wow, I'm absent for a few days and you raided an electronic store:D Great hold-up by the way; all those greeblies for a song (well, almost). Liking that new box btw. Keep it up, it's making my day every time!

Out of curiosity, why are you redoing the Matte box?

Is this a found part?

Hey Y,

The matte box I created LONG ago was NOT accurate at all. It was during those first few months when SketchUp was giving horrible measurements. It never looked right. Mike did an amazing job and is much more true to the actual Mitchell Matte Box. He's creating 3 more along with several other cockpit greeblies so his work is definately cut out for him over the next few weeks.

But the good news... I now have 2 extra greeblies I can forward to a few RPFers... :)

Wow, I'm absent for a few days and you raided an electronic store:D Great hold-up by the way; all those greeblies for a song (well, almost). Liking that new box btw. Keep it up, it's making my day every time!

Hey J,

OH MAN... the electronics store was a gold mine. I was texting and sending pics to various team members. The biggest surprise was finding those green edge connectors. I saw them hanging from the wall and I actually said out loud "NO WAY!!!". I'm not sure how old those connectors are but they were still in their original package... Think about that... after all these years they have been waiting for me to collect them up and put them to good use! I'm going back Wed to see what else I can scoop up - hoping everything will be 75%+ off...

Mike did a great job on the matte box. I'm stopping by MGL this afternoon to discuss a few more projects with him. We're also creating 3 of the Racal Minilite Headsets (Starkiller is getting 1). I picked up 3 cheapo headsets from the dollar store and we'll be butchering them up to fit into the new fabricated headset. The best part... they will be fully operational. :)

http://www.yourprops.com/movieprops...pe-Han-Solo-s-Millennium-Falcon-Headset-1.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhh so many greeblies!!!!!!!!!!!

I love greeblies... and I have SO many more coming... As I mentioned above, I'm going back to the electronics store later in the week to scoop up anything else I can find. There will be a few goodies for you as well :)

In other news, after chatting with Chris, the new center console will be pure ESB (based on Starkiller's Renders - http://www.therpf.com/f11/screen-ac...kpit-cg-model-102451/index68.html#post3180429). I look at those renders and can't stop myself from drooling...

I have a Racal Minilite headset! It's 80% original pieces and 20% Spatcave resin, but it's an awesome piece with ties to Alien, Star Wars, James Bond etc. Fun stuff! Cool that yours will actually work!

I have a Racal Minilite headset! It's 80% original pieces and 20% Spatcave resin, but it's an awesome piece with ties to Alien, Star Wars, James Bond etc. Fun stuff! Cool that yours will actually work!

OH WOW! Hang on to it! They are imposible to find... We're going to make as screen accurate as possible using the cheapo headsets. I'm looking forward to what sounds we'll add that folks will hear. :)

Some great greeblies there, love the lamps. A question, the console and back parts of the cockpit have what I can only assume to be keyboard keys (the red, yellow, white, blue ones), are these on the ANH version of the cockpit but not on ESB? Also how are doing such a good job of the lines on the panels, are you masking them in?

Some great greeblies there, love the lamps. A question, the console and back parts of the cockpit have what I can only assume to be keyboard keys (the red, yellow, white, blue ones), are these on the ANH version of the cockpit but not on ESB? Also how are doing such a good job of the lines on the panels, are you masking them in?

Hey C,

Those square multicolored "buttons" are actually rubber frame bumpers that you adhere to the back of picture frames so they don't scrape / bump the wall. The design was based on the ANH version and there has never been a clear pic of those particular areas so Starkiller did his best - I just copied off of him. Those panel changed significantly for ESB. We'll be doing a sort of hybrid version.

The pinstriping is exactly that. I went to a local autoparts store and would clean them out of their white pinstripes on a regular basis. I followed the template created by Starkiller and marked the lines with a pencil. I very carefully applied in place and then sealed with a satin clear finish to ensure they wouldn't come off. However, I had to lay the pencil template down twice. Once before paint to mark where all the LED holes and swicthes would go then followed the same template after paint. Example:

Before Paint
http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...a-group-build-147319/index99.html#post2779373

After Paint
http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...-group-build-147319/index102.html#post2791461

Hope all this helps :)

If you guys have a plan for making them already that's cool, but both Spat and Nick-a-tron offer resin copies of the Racal. Hands down the best place to get a real one though is the PX section of Aliens Legacy. I've seen a couple pass through there in the last year besides the one I got.

Ah I never thought about pinstripes for cars, probably because my father did a lot of custom spraying and all by hand and masking!! Started the layout last night for the two beds, thinking I need two double beds though to get everything in!

Thinking my eldest's bed will have a turret over the feet end, with turnable turrets. The underneath will be around 1.3m by 1.6m. Thinking of using some mini photo frames for interactive displays (showing power feeds, problems, battle damage), possibly cheap tablets from china ( get my devs to put a custom app together)

Have you found any good blueprints for the MF?

Now I came across this tonight, whilst looking for something else entirely:

items in ARCADE WORLD UK store on eBay!

12V SUPER BRIGHT WEDGE BASE CLUSTER LED WHITE - 10MM items in ARCADE WORLD UK store on eBay!

You may get these cheaper elsewhere, but I never thought of arcade buttons, you can also get PCBs that handle the flashing, power, etc. I don't think you could do the whole thing with them, but as an additional they could be nice!

It also started me thinking could one of my drop down panels some how be built to include a tablet with the original star wars game in it (i.e. where you blow the tie fighter up in 3d vector)…...

Hi Gang,

I made another stop by the electronics store and picked up a few more goodies. Unfortunately they weren't willing to negotiate and 50% off was their bottom line... Oh well...

Found these smaller rotary switches for those tight spots on the back of the console
20140128_160047_zpscdccda1d.jpg

I must have 200+ knobs at this point...
20140128_160158_zpsa0120910.jpg

I might use these for the "nose" on the upcoming center console
20140128_160243_zps87ebcc4e.jpg

Sitting atop another greeblie
20140128_160301_zpsbf3c56c1.jpg

If anybody is interested in these pilot light covers (1") they have TONS of them. But you have to tell me now!
20140128_160322_zps380b53b2.jpg

Sprayed another coat of primer/filler on the new matte box
20140128_192124_zps1d0c92fd.jpg

20140128_192133_zps1d8de3c2.jpg

20140128_192200_zpsdbec4699.jpg

I figure a few more coats of the primer/filler with some light sanding and she'll be good to go. I kinda like all the imperfections :)
20140128_192207_zps3d515910.jpg

I'm picking up the console instrument panels and will begin disassembly - removing old wires, buttons, etc... and getting her ready to be transformed.

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:
If you guys have a plan for making them already that's cool, but both Spat and Nick-a-tron offer resin copies of the Racal. Hands down the best place to get a real one though is the PX section of Aliens Legacy. I've seen a couple pass through there in the last year besides the one I got.

Hi R,

Our newest team member, Mike, has already started and he's really excited. He's got the ball and I'm going to let him run with it. :)

Ah I never thought about pinstripes for cars, probably because my father did a lot of custom spraying and all by hand and masking!! Started the layout last night for the two beds, thinking I need two double beds though to get everything in!

Thinking my eldest's bed will have a turret over the feet end, with turnable turrets. The underneath will be around 1.3m by 1.6m. Thinking of using some mini photo frames for interactive displays (showing power feeds, problems, battle damage), possibly cheap tablets from china ( get my devs to put a custom app together)

Have you found any good blueprints for the MF?

Hi C,

The pinstriping has been awesome. Every now and then I'll get a bad roll but I've been very happy with the results.

You really need to take pics of your project - from concept to reality. We would love to see it!

There are a few blueprints of the MF. But our build is based on Starkiller's 3D model. He's our source...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back