Wachowskis’ Jupiter Ascending (Post-release)

Re: Wachowskis’ Jupiter Ascending

Well, I like the two leads, but without knowing anything about the plot, I'll wait and see. The Wachowski siblings did a fine job with V for Vendetta, but they also couldn't leave The Matrix well enough alone.

The reason why V for Vendetta was a fine job was because they were producing it, not directing it. The film was directed by James McTeigue, who was the first assistant director for The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. But its still a pretty good movie, and probably one of the better comic adaptations I've seen.

The Wachowskis have a very good record with me.

Does that include Speed Racer? I heard a lot of people having an issue with that one. I haven't seen it myself so I don't have an opinion on it yet.

Does that include Speed Racer? I heard a lot of people having an issue with that one. I haven't seen it myself so I don't have an opinion on it yet.

I actually REALLY liked Speed Racer. I think it is extremely underrated. If you go into it just expecting some fun entertainment, I think you will enjoy it.

I actually REALLY liked Speed Racer. I think it is extremely underrated. If you go into it just expecting some fun entertainment, I think you will enjoy it.

Agreed. I think it captured what it need to pretty well. When I really just want to watch a fun movie that's what I watch.

I just can't get too excited about this movie for some reason. It just isn't quite doing it for me. I really hope it's good though.

Yep, I am hoping that's the case.

Also February is not really a hot month to release movies, but I just realized they might end up riding on the potential success and Oscar buzz of Tatum's next film Foxcatcher during the year end.

Nope, not buying that at all. I think its more likely that Warner Bros have panicked over the "Edge of Tomorrows" very subdued box office, seen what they've got in competition and know they were going to have two huge budget films do very poorly in a very competitive summer market place,barely less than two months apart.
"Edge of Tomorrow" has had great critical reviews, a huge RT score ,strong word of mouth , a lead star with Cruise giving one of his more enjoyable performances in ages,great effects and a fairly original take on a familar storyline, but its hardly packing them in. I went yesterday afternoon and there were ten people in the showing.
Why???
Because it got stuffed previously by Godzillia, X men and arguably Maleficent. Alot of people can't afford to go to the cinema every weekend, particularly those with families and pay what they pay for tickets and snacks. I'm coming across this more often now, people I know who would have happily gone are now waiting just the three odd months after the cinema release date before they can stream it from all the legitimate pay and watch film sites , even at a tenner, and watching it on their wide screen TV 's in the comfort of their homes at a quarter of what it would cost them to go to the cinema. If you are not certain you will enjoy a film, you are not go to shell out the lolly to see it immediately on release now. You are going to wait.
And "Jupiter" wouldn't stand a chance in the on coming Box Office war.

4th July- How to Train Your Dragon 2- will be huge hit for families. Even I really liked the first and I'm hardly the demographic target.
11th July- Transformers: Age of Extinction- Every Father and his son(s) are going to see this together if they can. And all the teenagers by themselves.
18th July- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- Off the success of the first, this is going to draw every remaining grown up sci fi fan in to see it, and a few others I should guess.
And at the end of all these hugely popular realease comes "Jupiter- what????"- a toilet cleaning but pretty girl who happens to be a royal interplanetary princess ??? rescued by Tatum O'Neal??? It doesn't sound a real draw does it, particularly when I think the summers biggest potential box office release comes out a week later:

31st July "Guardians of the Galaxy". Who DOESN'T want to go see this!!!!!

We saw this happening last year where fairly descent films did poorly simply because there were too many "similar" deomographic films crowded into a tight sumer schedule. And its even worse in 2015.
So in my opinion Warners bailed because they know they would have taken a substantial hit with this. The effects work maybe a factor, but I bet, just less than a weekend after the release of "Edge of Tomorrow, its the competition factor thats done for it. And niether of these films were cheap to make. Just ask those sweating execs at WB.

NB. Actually this would have been an absolute disaster for Warner Brothers .If "Jupiter" had bombed, that would make it three in a row, as they have already taken a heavy knock with Johnny Depps "Transcendance" this year and its not even made its filming budget back yet .And as much as I want EOT to do well because, unlike Trans, it deserves to, I don't think the interest is out there for it, it seemed so similar to so many past other invasion flicks in the trailers , Battlefield Los Angeles for example, that people are just going to pass. Which is a shame because its actually such an entertainingly structured film and alot of fun.

Last edited:

I'm surprised many sites are running it as a new trailer. It's the exact same trailer as before, only change is the release date in the end. It's like they don't even remember watching the last one which was released on March 26.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back