Cthulhu Idol Build

You know, Nick, once the Cthulhu Idols are done and put to bed, I'd love to see your take on some of HPL's related artifacts: The Black Stone from The Whisperer in Darkness, the curiously angled box & the Shining Trapezohedron from The Haunter of The Dark and the related artefacts Ixaxar from The Novel of the Black Seal and "The Black Heaven" from The Red Hand. Did you see that Shining Trapezohedron & Box that one guy just did on Propnomicon? It was exquisite.

-MJ

Yes! :devil

Prentiss made the Robert Bloch award too. I saw that he would be making a very limited run of his recent Shining Trapezohedrons in their box once he gets his new website up and running.

You know, Nick, once the Cthulhu Idols are done and put to bed, I'd love to see your take on some of HPL's related artifacts: The Black Stone from The Whisperer in Darkness, the curiously angled box & the Shining Trapezohedron from The Haunter of The Dark and the related artefacts Ixaxar from The Novel of the Black Seal and "The Black Heaven" from The Red Hand. Did you see that Shining Trapezohedron & Box that one guy just did on Propnomicon? It was exquisite.

-MJ

If you really want one I wouldn't wait for his website - seems that it keeps getting pushed back. You need to contact him directly, and I think half of the run is already spoken for.

I saw that he would be making a very limited run of his recent Shining Trapezohedrons in their box once he gets his new website up and running.

Oh wow...at $1,100 I don't think that would be a purchase I could justify, and I consider that one of the holy grails of Lovecraft props in my book.

If you really want one I wouldn't wait for his website - seems that it keeps getting pushed back. You need to contact him directly, and I think half of the run is already spoken for.

Almost there. Been a crazy month of distractions, sidelining and emergencies.

I'll do a nice big update post when I get back home on Tuesday. All the elements are pretty much in place. Super excited with how how everything is coming out dispute this months trials and tribulations.

Bad ass pics coming SOON!

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

I had bad computer troubles for a while but got everything back in order today. I also just picked the last piece of the puzzle from the printers today.

Some really cool photos tomorrow (today technically) and a big post(s) with proper explanation of the whole scope of the project!

Thanks for your patience everybody!

So a couple of weeks ago I finally sent the artwork to my friend Tim Doyle to have it printed at his screen printshop Nakatomi Inc. here in beautiful Austin, TX.

Below are the results!

The image is first burned into a stretched screen-
screen.jpg

Printed onto to the unfolded boxes-

photo-3.jpg

And then set onto the drying rack-
photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

And all folded up-
12328598173_5e3e8a656c_b.jpg

12328782774_dc58876513_b.jpg

And when you open the box you get to read the opening lines from the story-
12328329325_84f4515576_b.jpg

And here is the little beastie in his box with his base and bag-
12328315755_f06e35efaf_b.jpg

This was the first time my buddy's shop had printed onto a thick box material like this and we were all happy with how well it all came out. Please visit his website and buy stuff here- Nakatomi Inc - HOME

He's also got an art show opening in San Fransisco this week. Current Exhibitions | Spoke Art

So I wanted the statue to be protected while in his little box so I found a cool shipping bag that fit the overall style I was going for but I wanted to spice it up a bit. I figured an Arkham Artifacts logo stamped right in the middle would be the best solution.

Instead of just ordering a custom stamp online, I decided to go the hand made route with this part as well.

The art supply store stocks little chunks of rubber for just this kind of thing. An old linoleum block carving set i had laying around came in handy. I felt like I was in 8th grade again!

12328914994_aa2158c6d7_b.jpg

12328919294_f8e21460b3_b.jpg

I tranfered a printout of the design onto the rubber with some rubbing alcohol and an inkjet print. The transfer was kinda crappy so I tightened it up by hand and started in with the sharp tools. After about a half hour of carving away all the negative spaces, I glued the completed rubber slab onto a chunk of 2x4 I had laying around.

This resulted wonderfully rough hand-carved version of the original design. I'm glad I didn't just have a machine make it.

The first attempt on a real bag-
12328757124_47efa9680f_b.jpg

And the bag is a perfect fit for the statue.

12328271575_8a8261b62a_b.jpg

I'm very pleased to say the least.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back