Sci-Fi Halloween party ideas

pyxl

So,
My wife and I have decided to do a "different" halloween party. We want to do a "sci-fi" theme.
I'm looking for ideas and suggestions that would be cool.
I'm thinking about projects that are realistic for the time frame (i.e. not 200 hours to construct).

I was considering using a small wooden frame and blue and/or pink 2" insulation foam from the local do-it yourself store to construct a reduced scale x-wing to hang in the trees. Maybe 10' long.

I'm also going to do some "down and dirty" decorations...like converting an old bbq smoker into R2-D2...

Any other great (even just ok) ideas out there?

Anybody done this already and has suggestions or better yet pictures?

Many thanks

If your interested in the alien egg thing, try this.

Party stores sell those HUGE ballons. They blow up to about 3 feet
high. As said above, paper mache over the ballon and let dry. Once
done, you can grab yourself a small jar of latex rubber from a craft store.

Take and tear up sheets of those bumpy patterned papaer towels. I used to
rip all the edges off to make some oblong round paterns. Lay the towel pieces
in various parts of the egg and stipple a good amount of latex onto the towel,
letting it soak in. This gives you cool pattern on your egg when dry. You dont
need to do the whole thing. (inless your feeling creative) You can even go as far
as rolling up toilet tissue (or yarn) into small stringy lengths and latex them on
the egg for veins. Once you get it done, paint it up as you see fit.

Next grab yourself a can of GreatStuff spray foam. You can do it in the yard or
display the egg on a good sized piece of cardboard. Use the spray foam around
the base of the egg and make random runs of vines (or what ever you call them)
This will give you the look they had in the film of the egg base. When they dry and
expand, they give you a cool routed tree effect and can be painted to match.

Waa Laa. Instant alien egg for under $20.00 A little time consuming but look
excellent in the proper dark lighting. man, I wanna go build one now that I
brought it up again. LOL.................... :lol

Check into corrugated vinyl sheets- Comes in various colors (including duct tape silver)- We built a 25 foot Martian death robot on our house for a Halloween party last year. If you have a pool, you can do stuff with it. We used cyalume sticks and the pool sweeper to make a seamonster of sorts- Working a bit with the pool lighting, it can look pretty cool-

Doc

I'm not sure whay you mean by "corrugated vinyl sheets"..any pictures of your big death robot? I'm curious.

Thanks.

Originally posted by pyxl@Sep 24 2005, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure whay you mean by "corrugated vinyl sheets"..any pictures of your big death robot? I'm curious.

Thanks.
[snapback]1083230[/snapback]​
I'm sure I can dig them up (already cleaned up my fotoheap account)- Corrugated vinyl/plastic is plastic cardboard- It has the same feel as plastic army guys but is constructed of thin sheets like carboard- It is light, cheap. and weather resistant- The local plastics guys have them (If you're near Dallas, I still have my contact here)- Best thing is it's relatively cheap and breaks down easily into sheets-

It is this stuff but the sheets get as big as 8' by 4' ($8 a sheet from a supplier but had to be in cash)-
http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merchant.m...uct_Code=750100

This came up for suppliers-
http://www.globalspec.com/ProductFinder/Qu...ggka&setag=AHDS

It comes in different colors so I think an X-wing would be pretty doable- Just do a paper model to scale, a trashcan top or bowl for R2, and you have it-

Doc

Here is the death robot- Head was on straight but wind (and I and 24ft ladders are not close friends)- Still turned out very impressive- Done in one weekend for about $200 total (not including the martian head)

[image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=25594&t=i[/image]
[image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=25595&t=i[/image]

Doc

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back