Bad plot holes in good movies...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought it was the bullet ricocheting off of the gauges that caused Napier's facial trauma, not glass from the gauges; i.e. Napier shoots, Batman deflects the projectile, it ricochets off of the panel and pierces both of Napier's cheeks. I know this doesn't explain the miraculous healing powers of a low-rent underworld doctor, but bullet wounds would be more likely to cause the type and degree of facial trauma Napier experienced than shards of glass.
Yeah, that's how i always saw it. It never once occured to me to think it was glass shards....

Rich

How did the Joker take over a TV broadcast? Why was it on all the monitors of the control room of the TV station? If he somehow stole use of their broadcast tower, he could broadcast on their signal, but it wouldn't replace all the live feeds via cable from the TV studio to the control room.

Okay, regarding Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

The knight says you can't take the grail and cross the seal. So, when did this happen? Did the knights, after roaming around the Middle East for years suddenly God said "Okay boys, this is it. Go carve out a temple in that cliff face and when you're done, you can't move it anymore."

Why suddenly could you not move the grail?

Always struck me as odd.

The whole moon-lander still sitting on the moon in Transformers 3 is a pretty big plot hole. How did buzz and the other get back to earth?

In Aliens, why don't they leave someone on the "Sulaco"?

It seems a pretty expensive bit of kit, surely worth having someone on board keeping an eye on things from orbit?

In Aliens, why don't they leave someone on the "Sulaco"?

It seems a pretty expensive bit of kit, surely worth having someone on board keeping an eye on things from orbit?

Because Riker wasn't there to tell them that the CO's place is on the bridge.

And why have this giant ship that only carries one platoon? Why only send one platoon in the first place?

How is it that in Jurassic Park the T-Rex who we see earlier causing a mini-quake, with water sloshing around in puddle can at the end sneek up and chomp a raptor in half? Suddenly he became Ninja stealth Rex.

ok, the modern Time Machine

His girlfriend gets splatted twice, so he goes all emo and sits in his time machine. The usual comedy mishaps and he's flung into the far future, we watch everything change from his point of view before it stops and some woman going to work dressed in gym clothes (the fashion of the future) mistakes his time machine for a Starbucks......

........at no point does someone point to the blue light in the corner of the house and say "oh look, there's that bloke from LA Confidential siting perfectly motionless and his espresso machine is omitting a blue hue while we just get on with our day for the next 400 years........that seems weird, ho hum, on with the vacuuming"

Okay, regarding Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

The knight says you can't take the grail and cross the seal. So, when did this happen? Did the knights, after roaming around the Middle East for years suddenly God said "Okay boys, this is it. Go carve out a temple in that cliff face and when you're done, you can't move it anymore."

Why suddenly could you not move the grail?

Always struck me as odd.
I was always under the impression that they found the Grail there, too, that they never left. And when they did, they died.

And why have this giant ship that only carries one platoon? Why only send one platoon in the first place?

They thought it was just a downed transmitter. The marines, obviously didn't believe Ripley's story was true. So, why send more than one squad to LV-426 when it could have simply been a downed transmitter?

Seriously, the audience knows its not a downed transmitter. It's like the whole "Why didn't he wait?" question that people ask about the ending of The Mist at the IMDb. People forget that you have to put yourself in the mindset of the characters. So, putting yourself in the mindset of the marines, why would you need more than one squad if it could just only be a downed transmitter?

Plus, there's also the possibility that the company only funded the trip to allow for only one squad to be sent so that if they get killed, the company can send a retrieval squad for a specimen and have an excuse to go out.

Another one that I always think of when I watch the film: In Return of the Jedi, when Luke is fighting the Rancor, he sees the button on the wall, picks up a skull from the floor, and throws it to push the button and close the door. Hello.. you're a Jedi.. Use the frikkin' FORCE to push the button, you idiot.

This always bugged me as well, but while re-watching it recently a possible explanation occurred to me:

Simply pushing the button would probably just lower the gate at the same slow, measured speed that it opens- which probably wouldn't be fast enough to drop and catch the rancor unawares and kill it. So he needed to actually destroy/short out the control so that it malfunctions and drops the gate at a dangerous speed at just the right moment.

That said you could still argue he should have been able to do that with the Force.

Or, as a newb Jedi, maybe in the stress of the moment he just couldn't calm down and focus enough to actually use his Jedi powers effectively.

A lot of what I'm about to say is nothing more than supposition but here goes... ;)

All (the "suits" at Weyland Yutani) knew was that the colony stopped transmitting signals. It could very well have been a downed transmitter.

But they had a survivor who had been there 57 years ago, describing a hostile alien and the possibilty that there may be many more. Unfortunately she is suffering from PTSD and there is nothing to coroborate her story.

There "might" be an indigenous hostile organism on LV-426 that the Company did not know about, so they send in a platoon of Marines. Nothing too large so as not to attract too much attention.

The simple possiblity is that the Company grossly underestimated the situation on LV-426. They merely believed communications had been lost, and the colonists may have encountered "large termites" that needed to be cleared out. More of an annoyance than a serious threat.

The Marines complain about having to do "another bug hunt." This probably means that they have done this kind of "house clearing" before, and absolutely hate it as it beneath them (they are Marines, not exterminators). So it is "just another bug hunt." No big deal and they will be back home in no time.

It isn't until it is far too late that they realize they should have brought more men.

--------

The "complex conspiracy" possibility is that Weyland Yutani DID know how serious the situation could be, and knew they were responsible for all the of the lives of the colonists if the worst case scenario was that they were ALL dead.

So they send in a "small" team of Marines. The smaller the size, the easier they would be to control, and the better off the Company would be should they have to "eliminate" the Marines (and anyone else involved such as Burke and Ripley) to cover the whole mess up.

Remember this is the same company in "ALIEN" who put the profit of collecting the lifeform specimen above the lives of the Nostromo crew.

My 2 cents. ;)

EDIT- Man I hate not having learned how to type quickly. :lol

Kevin

Last edited:
They thought it was just a downed transmitter. The marines, obviously didn't believe Ripley's story was true. So, why send more than one squad to LV-426 when it could have simply been a downed transmitter?

Seriously, the audience knows its not a downed transmitter. It's like the whole "Why didn't he wait?" question that people ask about the ending of The Mist at the IMDb. People forget that you have to put yourself in the mindset of the characters. So, putting yourself in the mindset of the marines, why would you need more than one squad if it could just only be a downed transmitter?

Plus, there's also the possibility that the company only funded the trip to allow for only one squad to be sent so that if they get killed, the company can send a retrieval squad for a specimen and have an excuse to go out.

Not really a plot hole but those Marines didn't seem shocked at the mention of an alien life form which leads you to wonder what else they found crawling around the Aliens universe. Plot holes aren't just part of live action films, the 1986 Transformers movie has some due to rewrites where things just don't make sense like the robotic fish/squid on one of the planets.

...Another one that I always think of when I watch the film: In Return of the Jedi, when Luke is fighting the Rancor, he sees the button on the wall, picks up a skull from the floor, and throws it to push the button and close the door. Hello.. you're a Jedi.. Use the frikkin' FORCE to push the button, you idiot.

...he should have been able to do that with the Force...

By that logic a Jedi wouldn't need weapons of any kind. Use the Force, just think your opponent dead and down he goes :lol

In TPM, Darth Maul used the Force to hurl a piece of debris at the door controls to open it. In TESB Darth Vader used the Force to flip the carbon freeze lever directly. Not so much a plot hole as a lack of continuity. Or maybe the Force just doesn't work on buttons.

Not really a plot hole but those Marines didn't seem shocked at the mention of an alien life form which leads you to wonder what else they found crawling around the Aliens universe.

That's possible. Or, they've been sent chasing after aliens that ended up in dead ends. Besides, I don't think they really did believe Ripley when she was explaining what happened to her and her crew. Seriously, if you had just met Ripley and knew nothing about her and her past, would you really believe anything she said or her report? For all they knew, it was going to be another dead end like many times before (Hudson's and Hick's responses reflect that they've been sent out before to search and possibly kill aliens, and have been disappointed from the many times were they didn't find it). But, then again, you're possibly right. They probably have killed other and less dangerous aliens to the point where they consider this a cakewalk.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back