Bad plot holes in good movies...

One I HATE is Jurassic Park III. No, it isn't a great movie to begin with but I went along for the ride until the satellite phone antics.

My memory is a bit muddy but they didn't hear the Spinosaurus or whatever it was, but it had managed to eat one of the people who had the satellite phone. Not only did the phone survive being eaten..it rings nice and loud through a huge dinosaur's stomach and is clearly audible. Not only that..it happens to ring at the exact right time!!! What are the odds?!

Then later..the spinosaur travels upstream of our heroes and drops a dino load. The phone, still in working condition waits along the river edge for the exact right time to ring. Not only does it happen to be in the exact right spot the heroes pass..it also happens to ring at the exact right moment!!!!!! WHAT LUCK!!!!!

They're also lucky anyone would want to touch that phone after the adventure it had.

Up until this very moment I had not thought of this^^

Am I ever glad Arnie wanted to play the Terminator and changed Cameron's mind! :lol

(Can you imagine? I don't even want to picture it! :sick :lol)

Kevin

arnold_schwarzenegger_screaming_kindergarten_cop.jpg

RRRRROMANCE!

Have not seen it, so dont know if its good or not, but in the new Apollo 18, if its found footage, and no one lived after the mission, how did the footage get back to Earth?

my question exactly after watching this. That's a major plot hole.

Which will be answered in Apollo 19 no doubt... ;)

As for TWOK, why bother looking for a lifeless planet at all, when there are plenty of nebulae (guaranteed to be lifeless) that will magically transform into planets when hit by the Genesis device?

Marty and Jennifer are about to go take a drive. That is the trip in which Marty races Needles and hits the Rolls Royce, landing him in the Hospital. If they don't go right then, Doc will have to wait until Marty is fully recovered (and with a bad hand) to try to impersonate his son, and he probably won't be as good of a match any more.

Nope. Doc comes back to pick up Marty and Jennifer the morning of Saturday, October 26th, 1985. Marty returns to 1985 from 1885 on Sunday at 11am. The DeLorean is destroyed, Marty gets his truck and picks up Jennifer, then encounters Needles, who narrowly avoids hitting a Rolls Royce.

When Doc arrives to pick up Marty and Jennifer, the accident is still 24+ hours away.

Last edited:
In the baseball film, The Natural, there is a huge plot hole, that I only recently caught.

At the end of the film, The Knights are playing the Pirates in the final game for the pennant. The Knights are down 2-0 in the last inning. Two men are on base with Roy Hobbs(Redford) up to the plate. He hits a home run to bring three runs in to win the pennant.

YAAAAAAAYY, right? Nope. Thing is, the Knights were away, in Pittsburgh for that final game. The Pirates would have had the last "at bat". Nope,...Knights win, and Roy Hobbs is forever immortalized.

Still love that movie.
Mike

Stage 2 was deep underground. Stage 3 was on the surface. I don't see the problem. (And I'm a fully qualified 23rd Century terraforming scientist. ;) )

There's nothing to suggest that stage 2 would be surface only, it looked to me like it would be a rework of the entire planet. And Regula was described as a planetoid, I figure they wanted a larger body for the big test.

Fifth Element...why did the Diva put a bomb in with her luggage? How did Leeloo know it was a bomb?

did diva bring a bomb on the ship. i remeber zorg broght the little door mounted one which he deactivated but then the last surviving Mangalore detinated his own bomb (which was coincidentally at exactly the samw time as zogs)

ok in limitless he hires a scientist to replicate the drug but through his own monolog he states he is able to learn new skills in a matter of days, why not just study chemestry and cut out the middle man

There's nothing to suggest that stage 2 would be surface only, it looked to me like it would be a rework of the entire planet. And Regula was described as a planetoid, I figure they wanted a larger body for the big test.

Either way it doesn't matter. Any scientist I know would start with a fresh, non-modified base material. The fact that it had been modified by a previous experiment made it a non-viable test site, no matter if it was on the surface or not. If something unexpected happened, they'd have no way of knowing if it was from the previous test "mixing" with the new test.

Like your chem teacher says, start with a clean beaker. :D

In the baseball film, The Natural, there is a huge plot hole, that I only recently caught.

At the end of the film, The Knights are playing the Pirates in the final game for the pennant. The Knights are down 2-0 in the last inning. Two men are on base with Roy Hobbs(Redford) up to the plate. He hits a home run to bring three runs in to win the pennant.

YAAAAAAAYY, right? Nope. Thing is, the Knights were away, in Pittsburgh for that final game. The Pirates would have had the last "at bat". Nope,...Knights win, and Roy Hobbs is forever immortalized.

Still love that movie.
Mike

It actually could have happened that way. Home team getting last at bat wasn't an official rule until 1950. Before that it was decided by a coin flip.

Nope. Doc comes back to pick up Marty and Jennifer the morning of Saturday, October 26th, 1985. Marty returns from to 1985 from 1885 on Sunday at 11am. The DeLorean is destroyed, Marty gets his truck and picks up Jennifer, then encounters Needles, who narrowly avoids hitting a Rolls Royce.

When Doc arrives to pick up Marty and Jennifer, the accident is still 24+ hours away.

Damn, I was afraid of that. Didn't double check my dates before hand. Still though, its the last day before the accident. They needed to go that day, even though they didn't have to leave at that very minute. Stll enough of a compressed timescale to cause Doc to get flustered.

Yeah, what did happen to him[The Mondochiwan]? Obviously, he must've died being stuck there for 300 years. But, did like David move his body or something before Korben and the gang showed up? lol
I thought of that, too, but then I remembered that David was sent there ahead of the team, he's the one that set up all the lights and stuff. I always assumed he moved whatever was left of the body.

Back to the Terminator and "they all look like Arnie", they didn't. There's a T-800 in the first film (during one of the future war segments) that clearly isn't Arnold. There were quite a few like him, obviously, but he wasn't the only model. There was supposed to be a scene in T2 showing the future segment where they send back Kyle and the second terminator, and John has to look through the ranks of deactivated Terminators until he finds a Model 101 (Arnold) to reprogram and send back. A lot of the problems in the first two films aren't so much plot holes as they were actually thought out ahead of time, they just didn't bother to explain them on-screen.

Having the very first production T-800 in Terminator: Salvation just happen to be a 101 was pure fan service (but pretty damn cool nonetheless). I seem to recall that film had quite a few holes in it, too.

Another one that I always think of when I watch the film: In Return of the Jedi, when Luke is fighting the Rancor, he sees the button on the wall, picks up a skull from the floor, and throws it to push the button and close the door. Hello.. you're a Jedi.. Use the frikkin' FORCE to push the button, you idiot.

Jack Napier shoots at Batman in the chemical plant, which Batman deflects (I’m willing to suspend disbelief for this) towards a panel that causes a gauge to explode and send shards of glass into Napier’s cheeks.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought it was the bullet ricocheting off of the gauges that caused Napier's facial trauma, not glass from the gauges; i.e. Napier shoots, Batman deflects the projectile, it ricochets off of the panel and pierces both of Napier's cheeks. I know this doesn't explain the miraculous healing powers of a low-rent underworld doctor, but bullet wounds would be more likely to cause the type and degree of facial trauma Napier experienced than shards of glass.

Except that it was a single bullet that somehow damaged just his cheeks. Both cheeks were damaged... and the damage looked more like his cheeks were shredded than a bullet hole.

Btmn_0195.jpg

It was probably more than just shards of glass though... all sorts of shrapnel would be coming out of those gauges.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back