SS Betty (Alien Resurrection)

The model shoot for this film was crazy the DP had this idea that because space was black he need to to use black bounce cards to light the models. It was insanely hot on set and we had huge lights on set to get enough light to see the models becuse of the balck bounce cards the models were literally smoking and melting. Bounce cards and draps were catching on fire becuse it was so hot. Tempers were on a hair tirger and fights between crew membrs and temper tantrams of all kinds were common. I was kind of glad that I was not on the shoot for the whole job.

I've heard that story from Ian, what a crazy idea. When's the last time you worked there?

I have not worked at New Deal for a very long time. I think the last thing I did for them was a commercial. I do not work in the industry much anymore. I did some work for a freinds short film called "The Mill At Calder's End". That was a lot of fun. I got to see a lot of freinds I had not seen in quite a while. I still do freelace work, just did some work for Disney for a theme park project.

Last edited:
Here is another story from that job. I came to HGI to do a bit of a side job the opening title sequence for" Men In Black" I was working on model cars and trucks to run down a miniature desert scape. I did a nice replica of the illegal alien van for that and everyone loved that thing. They would come by and go this is so cool and I would think, You guys are working on space ships that is cool. These are just car models. So after that job ended I got hired for AR.

One of my first projects was taking a vacuem formed shell of the closeup Betty and detailing it like the small ship. Matt decided to directly supervise me on this job. He would come out every hour or so and tell me well this is good but I needed to do less detail and speed it up. So I would do what he said. Then when he came out the next time he would say the exact opisoite thing more detail slow down. So I would do that. It went back and fourth like this for the whole ten hour day. By the end of the day I was really sick of it. So sick of it I was ready to pick up my tools and walk away form there forever. He came out and walked over to me. I looked at him put my tools down and steped away from the desk and said. "Yes Matt?" he looked at me he looked at the model and said" Nice job". and walked away. The next day he gave the job to another new model maker, and did the same thing to him all day. I'm not sure if it was his way of breaking in new model makers. It was not the last time he did that kind of thing to me.

I did lots of jobs for them. It is part of the reason I stopped working at HGI. The last job I did for them this kind of thing happed. I remember Adam Gilbart walked over to me and said "Did he just yell at you for doing a good job?" I said "Yep." Adam walked away saying " That is one of the craziest things I have ever seen." For years after I had this piece of paper with Adam's quote was taped in the top of my tool box. "Did he just yell at you for doing a good job?" It may still be there I do not use that box much anymore.

Adam was the first guy i met when i was at new deal. He showed me around and took me to lunch. Even gave me a ride to my hotel when i first got there. He was the nicest guy i ever met out there. Me and adam worked on the second betty for the studio back in 09. Last i heard hes not there any more.

We always got along very well. He is a great model maker. I think the last job we worked togther on was Reign of Fire. I did not know they did a second Betty for the studio. I guess that is why your assembly sequence follows the way the orignal was built. :)

Last edited:
Actually it just worked out that way. I had no idea the order of how the first one was built. I just built mine as to how i thought it should go together. When you start building you realize certain parts have to be built before you can move on. I guess its just luck that it worked out that way. Im molding some small parts now. Going to need alot more silicone for the wing and the tail

Yeah Adam's a good guy. He's doing mostly art dept model making now, although we did have him out for Interstellar, for a little while.

Somewhere I have scans of the WIP of the Betty than I used for the CGI version I created for the Special Edition DVD, I'll try and track them down. Lots of good detail shots of the miniature as it was being built.

Found them!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdecker/sets/72157651753685660/

I was mostly interested in the completed shots of the Betty at the time, but there are lots of good photos of the crew. That one of Adam wearing the nose cone as a Devo hat is priceless.

16639423754_ace870d727_z_d.jpg

Wow that brought back memories. You can see me in about 5 photos working on the docking arms and the that close up model that Matt gave such a hard time on.

Just have to say Thank you again for all the photos. After having a really close look at them. They are great. The elusive main engine thruster was there. Which is great. The studio didnt even have that pic when i went through all there reference

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back