ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

No, no, no...

Today was HORRIBLE. First, my mother almost broke one of my fingers when she accidentally slammed the clothes dryer door on it. Ugh. Then, she cost me $100 when she sent me shopping for her groceries; the cashier couldn't put her Amex through for some reason, so I had to buy her food for her. FINALLY, a Master Replicas ANH Elite Edition had previously come up for sale, and I tried to but it, but was outbidded at the last second. NO!!! I've been looking for one of those for close to two years now, and this unicorn has STILL managed to elude me - The previous one before this sold for $2500, and the one before that, $1800. I wouldn't touch one for that much. The next four before those the guys ALL wimped out halfway through, and decided that they wanted to keep them for themselves.

At Rebelscum forums, one guy contacted me a couple of months ago, telling me he had one for sale, and I made him a reasonable offer after he asked me to make one. Never heard from him again, so he was probably full of BS.

Sorry for the venting, but I REALLY needed it, and still do. :angry

Why are you hunting the MR? For the collectibility? Or just that clean look?

Kinda both, to be honest. I know its inaccurate due to the barrel issue, but I really want it to round out my collection, similar to how Adam Savage has tried to collect every aspect and form of the Blade Runner blaster. And since I'm too young to own a real Mauser, the Elite Edition IS modeled off a real Mauser for the base frame, so getting that is, in a sense, the closest I can come to a real Mauser, at the time. I was planning on replacing the scope and Flash Hider anyways too.

Well, I WAS... Ugh. :cry :facepalm

No, no, no...

Today was HORRIBLE. First, my mother almost broke one of my fingers when she accidentally slammed the clothes dryer door on it. Ugh. Then, she cost me $100 when she sent me shopping for her groceries; the cashier couldn't put her Amex through for some reason, so I had to buy her food for her. FINALLY, a Master Replicas ANH Elite Edition had previously come up for sale, and I tried to but it, but was outbidded at the last second. NO!!! I've been looking for one of those for close to two years now, and this unicorn has STILL managed to elude me - The previous one before this sold for $2500, and the one before that, $1800. I wouldn't touch one for that much. The next four before those the guys ALL wimped out halfway through, and decided that they wanted to keep them for themselves.

At Rebelscum forums, one guy contacted me a couple of months ago, telling me he had one for sale, and I made him a reasonable offer after he asked me to make one. Never heard from him again, so he was probably full of BS.

Sorry for the venting, but I REALLY needed it, and still do. :angry

Patience my friend patience!!!

regards,

Alberto

The good news: I just bought a MR Han ANH EE! :D The bad news: Insured shipping and handling from the UK to the US made me wanna :sick, though I ploughed ahead regardless. I've yet to get it, but I'll be sure to post a loud and obnoxiously annoying comment when I do.

BTW, does anybody here have a spare Denix Mauser trigger? My last one broke when I was reshaping it due to a large air pocket that was smack dab in the center of the trigger. I'm still convinced that it was bad juju. Please anyone, PM me if you would like to sell one to me! :angel

Last edited:
Two things. First, so I don't dilute things here with a build that isn't a DL-44, here's a link to my Merr-Sonn build, if anyone wants to chart how insane I am. :p

Second, in working on that I ran into an issue with the Imperial disc. I initially was going to go with one of Elvistrooper's replicas, but it was way too big on the frame. I went back and double-checked my photoscaling on both the Merr-Sonns and the various high-res chest-up shots of various Imperial officers and... ET is correct in his scaling. The real discs on the uniform caps and belt buckles are as close to an inch in diameter as makes no difference. But triple-checking the disc on the Merr-Sonns, it keeps coming out to about an eighth of an inch smaller. Not a lot, but a difference that would have shown up with the real discs had they been that small. I replicated the smaller one on the blaster out of PVC conduit and brass tubing.

Here they are, side by side:

DSC00301_zps9e5e76d4.jpg

And here's mine on the gun frame:

04c-Discgreeblie_zps51bed5ba.jpg

The reference measurements are all pretty much dead-on with that scaled-down disc. I have a theory... What if they put an un-notched disc on Han's blaster, but the glue didn't hold and it fell off. And around the same time, they were greebling the Imperial versions that were cast from one of the other Bapty-modded Mausers (since the scope mounts were on the other side of the receiver, it's not the frame they used for Han's gun). And to avoid the same problem, they cast a notched disc, but the mould-making materials they used weren't the inert ones that don't shrink as they cure, and so it did shrink, resulting in a slightly smaller resin disc that they glued to these cast blasters. And that would be why the discs on the Imperial blasters are smaller than the mystery circle in the same place on Han's blaster. I'm pretty sure I remember the circle being an inch across, same as the real pulleys...

--Jonah

Just got my MR Han ANH Elite Edition in today - it's NICE. The only things I wanna do now is replace the flash hider and scope with better DEC ones that I have, but the internal diameter of the DEC flash hider is too large to fit the Elite Edition's supplied booster. Do I need to have a custom booster made to replace the flash hider?

nope... just shim it. Use aluminum tape... (the cheap easy method), or have an adapter ring machined. Or try thin gauge PVC pipe... cut it, and fit. Use your imagination on something to shim the gap.

nope... just shim it. Use aluminum tape... (the cheap easy method), or have an adapter ring machined. Or try thin gauge PVC pipe... cut it, and fit. Use your imagination on something to shim the gap.

Ah, ok. Thanks Scott... I never was very good as using PVC and stacking piping like that, but I guess I could give it a try. A couple of things I never noticed is that the Elite Edition's scope mount is cast in two different pieces and screwed together - I imagine to help keep the cost of it down, and the upper claw that holds the dovetail isn't complete across the entire thing, it has only the two little ones at each end. (I already completely took it apart once and put it back together, just to understand how it works.)

It might have been, but I don't think so - I like how the pic shows just how subtle the bull barrel's taper is, which is good proof (to me) that the base Mauser that appeared in the deleted Bunker Scene in ROTJ was the HERO prop in a different configuration. It was definitely a real Mauser in that scene anyways.

Thanks for the photo! :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back