HELP!: Pattern Drafting

Revari

So I've scoured all my resources to find a premade pattern to replicate this top:

christian-dior-farfetchcom-shortsleeve-tops-dior-gingham-offtheshoulder-top.jpg

I found one pattern that could be modified, but I'm so terrible at pattern drafting. Puffed, circle sleeves gave me grief on one of my other costumes. << So I was curious if anyone could help me with drafting this pattern. Or, if anyone wants to be SO kind as to draft the pattern for me. I'd be will to shell out an equivalent price of a regular pattern for their effort. ; )

THIS WEBSITE has more angles of the top and you can zoom in to see the seams a little better.

Thanks!!!

So, I just sketched some stuff up for this. I would have to drape some fabric to get more accurate shapes. But seriously, this is a great project for a beginning drafter. What makes this easy is that you can follow the print for grain lines. I printed out the photos and did a quick sketch of the lines of the top. As you can see, the main body of the top is nice and straight on the grain lines. The front pattern pieces are not going to be symmetrical, as the left front connects to the bias sleeve and helps form the twist. There are going to be 2 fronts, a side, back and lower back, because the back below the belt is one piece. I would assume that the belt is attached to the shirt at the back.

The sleeves are cut on the bias and extended in strips toward the front, tucked at the ends and then twisted and sewn to the horizontal collar line. I would make the top first, and substitute some simple spaghetti straps in place of the bias cut sleeves. Get that to fit just right, then start experimenting with the sleeves and twist. As far as closure goes, I'm guessing that it is a center front closure, maybe an upside-down zipper to keep the twist at the top in place. However, I would do a back zipper for ease.

If I have time, I'll drape this and see what happens.

Oh, my goodness!!! This is incredible!!! Thank you so very much! *_*

I am so dreadful at pattern drafting, that this is amazing to me. Everything seems relatively easy to piece together, too. Only the sleeves and draping may give me issues. but your trick with the straps is a great idea. Thanks! So I take it the draping pattern piece connects to the... front left? (my reference point is if I was wearing the top)

I was also thinking of putting the zipper in the back anyway. It's easiest and my personal preference.

Even if you don't have time to drape, these drawings are still amazing! I am so grateful. Thanks so much!

I think I'll pull out one of my old patterns for sizing to make sure I draw out the right sized pieces.

Revari, here's some basic info on pattern drafting and draping...something I do daily:

Pattern drafting is one of those things that you usually learn best just by playing with it, making lots of mistakes and then realizing where it went wrong. You sound like you have done a little of this before...and you are going in the right direction! Some people can learn from cobbling commercial patterns together, reading how-to books or online tutorials. Some are more visual and need an actual class to see it done. My opinion is that the best way is to do all of those, so you can really get a sense of it. A lot of cosplayers learn by cobbling patterns, but they don't get the benefit of understanding some of the basic theory or rules that help you make better patterns.

If you are book kind of person, I recommend looking for some Flat Pattern Drafting books online, especially used ones on Buy.com and the like...because they can be very expensive! I personally love Principals of Flat Pattern Design. It's a textbook developed for college students studying Fashion Design & Sewing Construction, but it was my text in my pattern drafting course during my Theatrical Costume Design study. Truthfully, I find it much easier to learn visually but this book was very clear and concise. It's also very easy to find cheaply because it's widely used! :) It teaches you all the basic rules in half scale for bodices, necklines, sleeves, collars, skirts, etc.

If you like to learn as you go...say during a costume project...then it's important for you to learn how to build a custom body block or sloper. They are the basic shapes used to make different types of garments. Most pattern drafting books will explain them to you or even give you instructions how to make your own. Some just provide basic size slopers to you like dress size 6,8,10,12, etc. and you modify those. It's a personal choice but the closer the pattern being drafted is in size to you...then the better the first fitting will go! Commercial pattern companies like McCall's have "Learn to Fit" patterns that are basic shells that you customize and can use as a sloper.

And about draping...There are lots of different ways to develop patterns. Flat patterning has the most books and information because it's very mathematical with lots of rules. Draping has some basic rules that are important but you are mostly sculpting your garment. Flat patterning works from nothing to a garment and draping starts out already as that garment...if that makes any sense? There are books out for draping as well, though I found it easier to be shown at first...then it grew on me tremendously. It's a great way to play with costume ideas!

Draping is natural for visual people...and flat patterning is great for math heads. But certain methods are better for certain types of garments or applications. You certainly can drape a pleated skirt on a dress form...but it's a huge hassle that can be easily done flat on the table with a ruler and paper!

I hope this helps! I always encourage cosplayers and home sewers to take a flat patterning and draping course if they have one available to them...it makes a world of difference and opens lots of doors to them.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back