So what DO you want to see in a movie?

Yeah, the issue isn't the tool. The issue is how the tool is used. Used effectively, CGI is fantastic. Used ineffectively, CGI is a distraction. I think the real problem is ineffective CGI. But to be honest, you could say the same thing about stop-motion photography, or models, back in the day.

When I reference CGI, I mean as a main means of telling the story. I have no problem with it if it is used effectively, so that it's not as noticable. I've seen alot of advances in CGI over the years. For example, they have pretty much nailed water displacement (eg: Finding Nemo, Pacific Rim, Perfect Storm)... They have really gotten good with plants (eg: Avatar, Epic) but the algorythyms they are using for fire still needs alot of work (eg: Beowulf). I realize that CGI has been coming a long way since it first started (eg: Tron, Last Starfighter). But these days it seems to me as if every time they think they've figured something out in CGI they have to make a movie to showcase it and it mostly falls short (eg: Final Fantasy). But for some reason, no matter how many times they have tried, they fail at two certain aspects in CGI... that tends to be in faces (took me awhile, but you could tell in Tron Legacy so they are getting better) and space ships. If you look back at the movies we grew up with, you'll notice that the most believeable ships you're ever seen are those they actually built in miniture and shot against a green/blue screen (eg: Star Wars, Black Hole, Star Trek, the list goes on). But if you look at ships in movies today they fall flat and you can tell they are CGI faked (eg: Superman (reboot), Star Wars prequels, new Star Trek movies, etc). I am seriously believing the reason why is that no matter how hard they try to detail the CGI rendered models, they still cannot get the nuiaces that a real pshychally built ship would produce if shot under real lighting. They are still lacking alot of algorythyms to handle those little nuiaces.

I want...

1.) A movie that is not aimed at the teenager-set.

Honestly you should never "Aim" a movie at anyone. This is a mistake made by people who either never studied how good stories actually work, or did, but didn't really learn anything, they just did the work and got through.

But people do it all the time, in every venue, and it usually yields crappy results...but some just keep trying it anyway.

But does anyone really think seafood is better when made by someone allergic to shellfish?

Tell a story that YOU would like, and someone will agree with you. Take out the **** and foul language and make the colors bright and you can show it to kids, but even they will pretty much always like it more if its a good story. But no matter how often kids and teenagers end up listing, as their favorites, movies and cartoons that are just good, at any age...there will always be idiots who think that kids will like it more if they make it stupid.

When I reference CGI, I mean as a main means of telling the story. I have no problem with it if it is used effectively, so that it's not as noticable. I've seen alot of advances in CGI over the years. For example, they have pretty much nailed water displacement (eg: Finding Nemo, Pacific Rim, Perfect Storm)... They have really gotten good with plants (eg: Avatar, Epic) but the algorythyms they are using for fire still needs alot of work (eg: Beowulf). I realize that CGI has been coming a long way since it first started (eg: Tron, Last Starfighter). But these days it seems to me as if every time they think they've figured something out in CGI they have to make a movie to showcase it and it mostly falls short (eg: Final Fantasy). But for some reason, no matter how many times they have tried, they fail at two certain aspects in CGI... that tends to be in faces (took me awhile, but you could tell in Tron Legacy so they are getting better) and space ships. If you look back at the movies we grew up with, you'll notice that the most believeable ships you're ever seen are those they actually built in miniture and shot against a green/blue screen (eg: Star Wars, Black Hole, Star Trek, the list goes on). But if you look at ships in movies today they fall flat and you can tell they are CGI faked (eg: Superman (reboot), Star Wars prequels, new Star Trek movies, etc). I am seriously believing the reason why is that no matter how hard they try to detail the CGI rendered models, they still cannot get the nuiaces that a real pshychally built ship would produce if shot under real lighting. They are still lacking alot of algorythyms to handle those little nuiaces.

I don't think that the nuances that you feel are missing are necessarily a result of the tech necessarily, or at least not on the modeling and rendering end, I feel that a lot of it has to do more with the compositing and animation ends. For some reason, as good as compositing has gotten tech wise the actual compositing a lot of times doesn't seem to be that much better than the old days of optical compositing, they still look like comps. The animation end of the equation can also be responsible for something not looking convincing, for spaceships you have to animate it so that the ships feel like that they have weight and mass to them and that's not always an easy thing to do, especially if you aren't given a lot of time to do it right.

I think that ultimately a lot of the faults in digital effects lies not in the tech or the artists behind that use the tech, it's the directors, VFX supervisors, and/or the producers that are largely responsible for bad effects. They either don't understand the tech's strengths and limitations and thus use them wrong or they just simply don't have the time, patience, money, interest, or a combination of all of the above and simply accept good enough. Remember, at the end of the day it's the director that has final say over everything about a film and that includes the post work, so if you get a director who doesn't understand or care much about effects looking as good as they can then you're going to get bad effects.

I not only want to see good writing, I want to see movies where the characters act realistically, not just going through the motions so they can get from point A to point B. You still get the mustache-twirling villains who stop to explain their plot to the good guys before they kill them. There are all kinds of really absurd plot devices that are nothing more than lazy writing. Villains have to act rationally, they have to perform to the best of their "ability" at all times. The other thing I hate, and this goes for TV shows more often than not, is that you get super-intelligent serial killers who are always a dozen steps ahead of the good guys and never make mistakes and always have a dozen outs planned at all times... until they make a single really idiotic mistake and that becomes their downfall. They've already set up that these guys never make mistakes, right up until they have to make a really obvious one to resolve the plotline. Instead of coming up for a plausible explanation for why this can reasonably happen, they just get lazy and I'm sick of it.

the guys that cancelled SGU shot. :p

getting people on a ship so far away from earth and they did not see the potential, or used the potential of the concept very well.

To see the millennium falcon destroyed with Han & Chewie. Sorry but I'm sick and tired of them. Let the bad guys win once agin. The story needs to move past skywalkers & solo's. Too many other things out there that started and will end the story than them. Don't get me wrong, I loved them from the start, but it's just time to move on.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back