Dirt cheap Display Stand for Helmets.

badmojo

I've been trying to come up with cheap & easy display base to use for all my helmets. I don't have a source for cheap Paper Towel holders around here and didn't want to pay for shipping. Spent yet another lunch walking around Home Depot and I think I came up with a pretty damn cool alternative. In the Plumbing section I found a "Quad Drain" that fits onto 2" PVC. $4.97 each. 2" Schedule 40 PVC from electrical is $3.97 for 10'. Cut off a 12" piece and here you go. I intended to spray them all Satin Black, maybe with a hammered metal undercoat for texture, But i think the Grey & White looks pretty sharp on the Storm Trooper. Not bad for around $5

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Last edited:
Any ideas for something to pad the top? The helmet I'm working on now is going to have a piece of foam at the top and I don't want to make a ring-shaped dent in it permanently. Very cool idea though, definitely going to go get this stuff on my next trip over there.

You could always continue the plumbing theme and put an endcap on it. I picked up some cheap $1 Store cereal bowls with the intention of inverting them on the top, but found the the helmets sat just fine without them.

half a huge polystyrene ball from the craft section would work ok I think. or even half a tennis ball lol

Best
TAZ
You can get wig stand heads for around $4 at most beauty supply stores.

They are shapped like a human head and have a hole in them so they can be placed on a pipe or stand.

The shape allows the helmet to sit in a position that looks like it's on a real person.

Here is a link showing what you can find:
http://www.hairdirect.com/store/styro-heads-hairpiece-mounts.aspx?gclid=CNvI2bbSv6gCFQgEbAodLxgDrg

Last edited:
Wow, that quad drain was a pain to track down. I had to go to multiple Home Depots, and then when I got to the biggest one in the area they didn't have any on the shelves, but I spotted a sealed box of them way up at the top. Cool thing is, the one I got was shiny and black, as was the PVC, which means I don't have to paint mine, either. Yay!

Last edited:
In the spirit of how most of the OT props were made with found items, I love this stand! I'd leave it white & gray...totally fits with the TK lid!

Well done!:thumbsup

It's not very heavy, but I don't think it would be hard to just mix up a big batch of rondo and pour it in, especially if you leave the label stuck over the drain. There are probably loads of other ways to make it heavier, too. The base is 6.5" wide, so it's not exactly inclined to tip over.

Wow, cool that they stocked the Black. We did a little digging on their website a couple of weeks ago and I noticed they showed other colors. This "Quad" drain is causing a bit of a stir at work. No one can figure out where the "Quad" or "4-Way" factors in. It will fit 2" & 3", but what are the other 2 uses? Our Master Plumber has no idea.

And I love that my random sales must be messing with the sales numbers. Untill I bought my 5 over the last couple of weeks we hadn't sold a single one in the last 12 months. I can just imagine someone sitting in an office at Corporate in Atlanta, sending out Memos about the recent increase in Quad Drains. :lol

badmojo,

Thanks for the tip about an alternative inexpensive Helmet Display Stand. I'll have to give this a try and look for those parts the next time I'm at Home Depot.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back