Harry Potter free paper props - all movies and more!

So much talk about the Hogwarts composition notebooks I thought I would make a set using standard 7 1/2" x 9 3/4" composition notebooks from the local dollar store and the files I posted awhile back. Bit of a quick job but didn't turn out too bad. Probably very similar to the method used by the prop makers. I doubt they actually had composition notebooks printed with their graphics on the covers, they probably just cut the image to fit a standard composition notebook and glued it on as well..."on budget, on time"...

Here's a few pics.

DSCF6128 red.jpg DSCF6130 red.jpg

and why wouldn't you have your class schedule inside the cover of your notebook... DSCF6132 red.jpg

bfd

bfd,

Great job with your notebooks and I love the addition of the class schedule :) What type of glue do you use to apply your cover art? Do you use liquid glue or spray glue?

Thanks wooze. I usually use spray-on glue but today i used a glue stick which works okay but is kind of hard to work with cause it curls the paper and wants to dry out before you get the paper in place.

bfd

I would love to know what kind of rock is used for Instant Darkness Powder. Ive asked so many rock collectors and scientist and they have no idea. So here is a close of of Instant Darkness Powder from the picture above as seen in the movie just before harry picks it up

I am still looking forward and can't wait for the gringotts signs

View attachment 401013

I suspect this isn't a real rock at all, probably a creation. If I had to make it I might try spray painting pieces of pumice stone or similar glossy black then add highlights of iridescent and metallic nailpolish, subtle glitter and voila. :)

Grimstitch,

Great to see you on this thread :) I think you may be right about the rock. I am sure that it was a creation. I think a trip to the local craft shop may help come up with some ideas. The scrapbooking departments have loads of glitters and such.

Not too much going on so I thought I'd tide things over with this Butterbeer label. I know there have been a few Butterbeer labels posted over the years but this one is different than them.

Butterbeer Label bfd.jpg

bfd

ps Just noticed that there are more views of the shelf for and the rock for the Instant Peruvian Darkness Powder than for the label itself which seems a little odd to me. Maybe we just need to post pictures of what these props look like rather than a replica of the prop itself...:confused

Attachments

• Butterbeer Label bfd.pdf
    415.9 KB · Views: 318
@bluebird; i love your textbok cover. it is great. thanks for sharing with us. :love

@bfd, firstly thats a great label. I just had a quick print of this label and i turned out much better than universal's copy on butterbeer mugs. i really love it too much. thank you very much for it. and also your textbook covers had turned out great. i dont see any point to buy minalima textbooks after these :)

and your darkness powder is so awesome that we want to print it out and put on our shelves as quickly as possible but we didnt know what should we use it on. besides that, there are people here who are extremly grateful to you like myself. :)

thank you again :)

btw, has anyone bought minalima textbooks yet?.. i wonder do they have embossed covers?

bfd,

Thank you for the Butterbeer label :) I think it turned out better than the real deal also!!! As far as more hits on the Darkness Powder prop, I agree with Lynx. I think people are trying to figure out how to replicate the bottle and contents to put your label on. I know I am going to be looking for the Noxema bottles at the flea markets myself to have a go with this prop. I think I am going to go with black sand and different glitters/embossing powders myself instead of the "rocks" because they were selling the "powder". I will let you know if I have any luck finding bottle.

Thanks lynxx and wooze for the kind words and glad you enjoyed the Butterbeer label.

I appreciate your words of wisdom about more views for the shelf and rocks than the darkness powder label itself.

I reread my post and it definitely comes across like I've got a bruised ego or feel insulted somehow but that was never my intent and my skin is a lot thicker than that...:lol. I just thought people would have viewed the prop replica first and decided if they liked it or not and then viewed the suggestions as to what to do with it. And that just struck me as a little odd, so just me thinking out loud is all. Anyway, I will endeavor to keep my opinions to myself in the future...:lol

bfd

Last edited:
Hi! I'm new around here, I was just surfing through this thread, and there are so many cool things I wouldn't imagine!

Recently i was trying to make a howler, and after watching the scene over,and over, I found a way to fold a Origami like the one in the movie.
Not perfect, but it was fun to make. Now I share the tutorial with you :) Looks a bit complicated,but there is also a video of it..Hope you like it,

Vítor
foto berrador.jpg
origami_design___howler_by_vitorbravin-d85anl8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi bfd,

I didn't take your post as a bruised ego or a feeling of being insulted. I thought you were just posing a question. That is what we are all about here. Posing questions and getting different points of view and different creative takes on things so please don't think that you should keep your opinions to yourself (by the way, I know you were just joking when you said that LOL :lol) If I thought you meant it, you would be getting a Howler from me my friend LOL :lol I always value what you have to say :) and what anyone else has to say for that matter.

So, no worries my friend :)

Hi Vitor,
Thank you for the video of the folding of the Howler. It was very easy to follow and I will definitely have to give it a try :) I will let you know how I make out.

@wooze: Thanks for your rational view of things. I WAS just kidding about the image posts and unfortunately I'm sure I'll end up sharing my opinions here in the future, something always manages to burble out from time to time...:lol

Welcome vitor and thanks for the tutorial video.

@Kreacher: Hi there, have not heard from you in awhile, thanks for the tip.

bfd

I want to share one of my attempts of working with foil, I mess up a little bit on the bottom though :p (used an iron...too hot the ink melted!)
It's not a cover, just a (A4) poster. For the design I used Illustrator mainly.(some hand drawn for the dragons)
It's a Portuguese version.

Printed on toner (black for the gold foil parts) and later on inkjet (red)

Vítor

Historia da magia.jpg

historia1.jpghistoria2.jpghistoria3.jpghistoria4.jpg

Vitor,

Great job with the History of Magic!!! I have never worked with gold foil on paper before. You really did achieve a professional look :thumbsup

Vitor,

Great job with the History of Magic!!! I have never worked with gold foil on paper before. You really did achieve a professional look :thumbsup

Oh! Thanks woozelmon :)

I'm happy with the result, the hard part about the gold foil is getting the temperature right, and the right amount o pressure on the iron, take a little bit of practice, but the results are great, I also use this foil to make Daily Prophet's , Platform 9 3/4 tickets and Memos

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back