Ghetto casting

juno

Sr Member
I'm all out of silicone and I want to do a casting of a non-hardening (non-sulphur) clay piece that I'm hot to finish. I want to cast it in resin. Any ideas?

Unless someone knows a shop in Cincinnati that consistently sells silicone. (The Hobbytown here sometimes has it, and sometimes doesn't.)

On another board I read somewhere, there is a recipe for silicone mold material made from hardware store silicone caulk. IIRC, water is added in a certain ratio to react the curing catalist, and the result is a silicone mold on the cheap. You might want to PM Starkids1990 for more details.

I've used it for small & quick projects. It's not as durable as the real thing, but works in a pinch. Here's the recipe...

10oz tube GE Silicone I or II Caulk
50 drops Glycerine per tube (catalyst)
1-5 drops acrylic paint (to aid checking mixing)

Sets up quick, but remains workable for about 10-15 minutes. Smooth with icecube while setting (water will not effect the curing).

Hope that helps.

is Glycerine something you can get separate at a hardware store? Im not familiar with what it is

Never had it fail, but have had it stick to the piece like a mushy gummi bear if the mixture was not mixed properly. A little soap and water cleans it right up.

You can get glycerine from any drug store (doubt you'll find it in a hardware store). Women use it for a base for hand-made lotions.

Please only use this knowledge for your own work, not to rip others off. People work too hard for months to have someone whip up a little silicone for a few bucks and rip them off.

also, baby enemas.

ive used the quick/dirty way to mold before. the only thing i can say is dear sweet god it reeks, but it does pick up a lot of detail. make sure you are wearing gloves, and make triple sure you check the seals and make sure there are no air pockets.

chris

Agreed. Use it only in a very well ventilated area - or your garage or workshop will reek for weeks. It's probably poisinous as well.

nah, its just vinegar/acetic acid from what i can tell. that or a close relative of it.

it just reeks horribly. use a fan, use .... febreeze, use something. this stuff reeks worse than castincraft resin does when its curing.

chris

Is the Glycerine needed?
I thought Thorston James said that one could use silicon silicone as a mold in a pinch. I'd have to check again, but I don't recall him mentioning have to mix it with anything.

That said, I haven't tried it yet.

David

It acts as a catalyst to cure it faster, otherwise you'd have to wait several days for a thick layer to fully dry. Plus it makes it tougher than plain caulk, which you could rip with your hands. This ensures it's a little tougher.

Juno... if it's truely something you don't want to ruin, wouldn't it better to wait than to have to resculpt the piece? Unless it only took you a short time to sculpt it in the first place. ;)

Gosh SurferGeek, kill me with logic ;)

Well, I asked, and Buddha provided. But I'm definitely going to try the silicone caulk method on SOMETHING.

<div class='quotetop'>(juno @ Jul 31 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]1291458[/snapback]</div>
Well, I asked, and Buddha provided. [/b]

Hey I know I've probably gained a few, but Buddha?...Come on. :cry

I have indeed provided and am prepared to do the same if called upon again for any of my brothers and sisters.
I enjoy making things for people and raking in the piles of delicious money from the fruits of my labor... :rolleyes ...but my truest joy is being able to empower my people to find their own way.

M

I have done the caulk method - buy 100% clear, silicone caulk.... coat the item in petrolium jelly, squirt caulk all over it. Done. But, yes, it does take a long time to cure. I'll have to try the glycerine thing.

Silicone sticks to EVERYTHING (almost). The petrolium jelly on the project will release it when the silicone mold has cured.

Use clear acrylic spraypaint, and Babylax is the brand name for the Glycerine.

I use to do the water method, but the Glycerine and latex works alot better.

I live in Covington, and if you want to see how it works I can show you how I just done one :)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back