Question for Jurassic Park Raptor Sculpters

I have been waiting to see this done because I really want one. I imagine a couple of JP rangers chasing a raptor through a convention somewhere. It would be more epic then the real life pacman I saw at ComicCon last year.

I would be just fine if someone went a little further than a bust like this :

OH_NO_its_Jurassic_Park_by_LovelessAngel92.jpg

Just found the pic and prompted me to post my desires.. heh heh ;)

That's a suit that is on my to do list... some day ;-)

You can find some info in the Stan Winston book "The Winston Effect"

There are some pics in it of a person in a Velociraptor suit, maybe that could help you.

I'd check out any footage you can find of the LA County Natural History Museum's Dinosaur Encounter, in it they have an actor wearing a baby T-Rex "costume" which is pretty convincing. In addition to having a convincing suit and a good dinosaur act I think they also have a small speaker in the suit so that the baby T-Rex makes so low, rumbling/growling noises; adding that to a raptor suit would really help with the simulation and freak people out.

Almost everyone that saw the raptor sculpt I was working on asked if I was going to do a full suit. It would be really cool and super epic, but WAY expensive. I wouldn't be able to afford to do a full body raptor costume.

This would be a possible solution for a live animatronic dinosaur park, but it's hard to imagine actors keeping up a 'perfect' performance for long periods of time. I'm wondering if 100% animatronics would be the way to go... although the technology needs a lot of improvement first of course. ;) I was however still impressed by the Youtube vid , if only there was a way to hide the actors legs. I thought maybe in a dark environment, they could be wearing black leg gear, but these would become highly visible as they passed across the Raptors lighter coloured legs.

One of those suits would be totally awesome. I think probably the most affordable way to make it is like how you would make a fursuit using Upholstery foam.I am thinking about trying to make a raptor suit.

Got inspired by this - Velociraptor Fullsuit - YouTube

I really hope to tackle this and make my own raptor costume. I have a tiny bit more experience when it comes to fursuits but not much though. I'd like to get high quality Raptor sounds from JP and but some kind of sound box in it so it can growl.

Last edited:
One of those suits would be totally awesome. I think probably the most affordable way to make it is like how you would make a fursuit using Upholstery foam.I am thinking about trying to make a raptor suit.

Got inspired by this - Velociraptor Fullsuit - YouTube

I really hope to tackle this and make my own raptor costume. I have a tiny bit more experience when it comes to fursuits but not much though. I'd like to get high quality Raptor sounds from JP and but some kind of sound box in it so it can growl.

Monoyasha made that Raptor. You can buy a head base from her for $250.
Raptor head blank by *Monoyasha on deviantART

I am in the beginning stages of making a Utahraptor costume like the Walking with Dinosaurs one :D. I actually just registered with this forum to maybe open a thread and document my progress for anyone who would like to follow along.

I've obsessed over Halloween costumes in the past (Buzz Lightyear and Iron Man most recently) and spent months on months making them. But now I'm ready to tackle something with a little more bite. :/ I'm setting my deadline for Halloween 2013 to give myself time to do this right. I don't want it to look shoddy.
I'm in the prototype/thinking/designing stage right now. I have to figure out how to start a thread or something and document it.

This would be a possible solution for a live animatronic dinosaur park, but it's hard to imagine actors keeping up a 'perfect' performance for long periods of time. I'm wondering if 100% animatronics would be the way to go... although the technology needs a lot of improvement first of course. ;) I was however still impressed by the Youtube vid , if only there was a way to hide the actors legs. I thought maybe in a dark environment, they could be wearing black leg gear, but these would become highly visible as they passed across the Raptors lighter coloured legs.

You get some speakers to pipe some "raptor noises" and you practice your walk people won't really notice the legs, trust me on this. It's one thing to see pics or to see it from a great distance on a stage but a realistic dino suit with a good act and sounds up close is something else entirely. I saw the baby T-Rex performance at the Natural History Museum in LA and even though I knew it was just a performer in a suit and I could see the legs I still got a little unnerved by it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back