DrWho Eccleston Jacket

Cardiff 2011? I guess thats when the owner bought it from the Beeb. I saw the (or one) original when the exhibition was in London. The replacement they have at the moment isnt great is it. yeah I read there were two coats in a DWM interview years ago, I wonder if they were the same make?

Is the original cowhide or horsehide? Wested make theirs out of horsehide now and if the original is too I’m tempted to get one and re-line it in beige linen/striped satin. I know there were some inaccuracies in the pattern as of a few years ago but can anyone shed some light on what their more recent jackets are like?

Wested jackets still suck, the one in the experience is fairly new as I understand it, and it looks exactly like the one I bought and immediately sold on years ago. Keep in mind, the Wested jacket is actually the one they made for the movie Das Boot (or so Peter told me when I was in his shop). They just label it the "Dr Who" jacket because that's what makes it sell.

As for type of leather, I'm no expert on horsehide, but I've asked a couple people and they think it's not. It definitely isn't very thick leather on the stunt jacket. Somewhere around 1.75-2 ounces judging by the spot where there's a hole worn through. It's very soft leather.

I managed to find a recent picture from the exhibition and I was expecting a lot better, the proportions are very off. It looks more like one of the cheap Chinese ones on eBay. The one you got a few years ago (to my eyes) looked a lot more accurate in terms of pattern and, although not a perfect replica, worth the money.

I might take a trip to their shop one day and check them out for myself rather than risk buying online and not fully knowing what I’ll get until it arrives. If the one at the exhibition really is a Wested it unnerves me how their pattern seems to be getting worse with time. Thanks for the info, I guess if I decide to get one from them I can always ask them to make one in cowhide instead.

I feel like the soft leather Risu's describing might be goatskin or sheepskin. If its vegetable tanned it'd match the color people think is horsehide or cowhide

It's not goat or sheep, I can say that for sure. It almost definitely is vegetable tanned, though, which makes getting an accurate replica nearly impossible these days.

You have to stop making so many tempting things Indy ;)

Little bit of trivia, Paul McGann wore a very similar jacket in 'If I Had You':

Here's one we're just finishing up know with Eccleston style distressing (brown leather, overdyed black, then distressed to reveal the brown underneath):

010-distressed_zpsigrxu8ny.jpg

The leather looks great and the lapels are reasonable for the hero coat, but the collar should be smaller.

I was re-watching Series 1 and I noticed that the hero coat has a collar tab hidden under the left lapel, but it doesn’t seem to be present in some of the promo photos; instead there’s what appears to be another button. As far as I can tell none of the replicas out there have a collar tab, is it that the hero coat has it but the stunt coat does not and was used for the photos?

Actually those collar tabs generally can be buttoned under the collar, thus hiding it. The button you see in the right hand photo is normally for the lapel to be buttoned up, but this seems to be on the wrong side of the jacket.

Are there any I options out there when hunting down a U-Boat Jacket?
They seem really rare and hard to find. So that why I'm asking. Also, some are expensive

Are there any I options out there when hunting down a U-Boat Jacket?
They seem really rare and hard to find. So that why I'm asking. Also, some are expensive

Probably a much too late response, but for others who have the same question in the future...
You can occasionally find them on eBay. I have so far collected 3. One that came with Kriegsmarine gold button (which I replaced), another black and one in brown. You should look for Kriegsmarine, German WWII, German Motorcycle jacket, etc. You never know how someone will list it. This one is almost stitch for stitch like my Bad Wold replica (who seem to be out of business at this time).

U3.JPG

U7.JPG

U5.JPG

Looks great, Indy. If I were to nit-pick I think the collar is a bit off. Not wide enough and a big space between the collar and lapel which should be tight.
It doesn't look it so much in thin nice pic as it does on your web page. It really does look like a great coat at a great price.

product-id-725.jpg

ecleston collar.jpg

This was my exact same nit-pick too. It really looks great but that was the main thing I noticed, the other isn't as obvious or noticeable but the center panel in the back seemed quite a bit (well within the space of the back lol) wider. Neither major though I wonder about the collar but again it looks great and a great price so though I haven't been in a rush to pick up an Eccleston jacket over some others this may be the way to go when I do because overall it looks great! :)

Looks great, Indy. If I were to nit-pick I think the collar is a bit off. Not wide enough and a big space between the collar and lapel which should be tight.
It doesn't look it so much in thin nice pic as it does on your web page. It really does look like a great coat at a great price.

View attachment 701820

View attachment 701819

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back