another Blade Runner blaster rip-off VERY GOOD!!!

I'm spending the holidays with my family here in Spain and due to my previous triumphs in the little chinese junk shops, I thought I'd see what's on offer this time...last shop, as everything is closing up tonight..all hope gone of uncovering any gems and lo and behold what do I find.....not the now famous and fairly easily found rip off that I previously modded here Blade Runner Toy Gun Mod

but this fabulously authentic(ish) knock off....bar the obvious hand grips and the triggers/trigger guard, to my nieve eyes it's got to have been a cast from one or another of the previous "authentic(ish)" styled PKD's?

Image0583.jpg

Image0587.jpg

Image0588.jpg

Image0586.jpg

Image0584.jpg

not a bad little find I think! I bough the last 3 in the shop and if I get time tommorrow before I fly home I'll pass by and see if they re-stocked.

This one should present a lot less work to mod (in theory...will post my work on it here)

Any clues from you PKD experts as to which version it may have been ripped off from? or do you think it's been painstakingly resculpted by a chinese BR fan working for acme cheapo toys?

Respect
P.

Nice find! I want one! It looks like a standard pkd blaster copy, but what do I know!

Is that some kind of airsoft gun? Or just a noise maker?

Last edited:
Mike, you may be on to something there. Actually looking at the snubnose photo's and this toy it looks like they may have taken a cast from it and stretched the barrel area somewhat...still sounds like a BR fan working at acme toys!!

Jason - it's just a sparky noisemaker old school style

If I can pick up any more I'll definately pass them on, let me hack at em first for a mod and maybe there'll even be some left intact after my hamfisted butchery!

Respect
P.

Last edited:
So I have begun the first tentative steps to mod this plastic brute...

First job was to sand the rough edges cut the upper barrel out and build the wierd greeblie that's on the real deal. Using my trusty tap washer kit and the tip of a paintbrush the results are thusly..

Image0591.jpg

sorry for crappy mobile phone pics..but better ones will come as the build progresses. Next job was to replace the plastic 'weaver' screw effort and add the other screw that aligns with the barrel. for the latter I used the head of a pocket led torch..it has the elements of the screw from the side and as an added bonus has a cool little lens in the tip...I also cut open the ejection port on the upper reciever ready to be filled with a real metal, or metal effect inner...

Image0594.jpg

finally, for this episode I added the two screws to the mag housing and again, using the tiniest tap washers to effect the allen heads on the revolver case...

Image0595.jpg

more to come...

Respect
P.

Well after a trip to the local toy gun dealer I found 2 potential candidates for extending the grips. please note this is just experimenting at this stage and still now I have no idea which route I'll be taking with this part of the build...

Image0610.jpg

Image0607.jpg

***edit***
well...the grip is off..time to get the thinking cap on...

Image0612.jpg

other than these ideas I've considered using translucent sculpting clay to create a grip from scratch using this stuff - Fimo Soft Effect Polymer Clay Translucent Orange any thoughts? anyone use this clay before?

Respect
P.

Last edited:
I know you're out there watching from the shadows...

Had a eureka moment earlier and decided to cut out the plastic barrel and replace it with some metal piping...

not bad for a rush job I think. (the masking tape is to mark where the bottom screw will go)

Image0613.jpg

Image0614.jpg

Image0615.jpg

and now a glass of wine..it is friday!

Respect
P.

Nice!

Why can't we have knock-offs like these available in the states? And if they are, why are they always in a place nowhere near me?

a little more progress...

With help from some great folks over at Propsummit I've tentatively drafted the frame for the grip. It's potentially a goer in some 1/2" wood but until I've decided on material for the actual grips themselves I'm holding fire on cutting it.

Untitled-1.jpg

So in the meantime, to not lose momentum/excitement I've been busy with some minor beautification.
The double trigger is an iconic part of the design so I got that sorted fairly easily by cannibalising a trigger from the mini blaster.

Image0636.jpg

They won't function as such but are pretty sturdy against the attack of curious fingers..
My mini pipe cutter arrived today too so I set about cutting down the barrel insert I've already started on..

Image0633.jpg

Image0634.jpg

The issue here is that the pipe is barely 1mm thick so needs to be fattened up somehow to look more badass..two options present themselves now the first is my trusty rubber washers...

Image0637.jpg

or this cheeky little leftover from a mini scope..it has a lens so looks quite cool, if not screen accurate (so what?) not sure which to go for yet though....

Image0638.jpg

With the backup blasters sitting in thier packaging still it struck me that I could cut out the half laser sight on it and also on my hero I'm working on and by carefully sanding and cutting could put the two halves together to create a more 'standout' rod...

Image0630.jpg

Image0632.jpg

and lastly for now, the two halves after a few coats of primer...much better...

Image0640.jpg

Respect
P.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back