Tron: Legacy, "The Digital Frontier" Book

Are you sure? Because if you look back on page 1, post #21, the screencap does have Kevin's name on the bottom.

bildschirmfototronlegac.png

Well what do you know. His name is on the book on the tv in the film. My POV must have been focused on the middle of the screen when watching the film, because I did not see it. The camera is zooming in on the books, as the virtual camera slowly zooms towards the tv in the movie. Damn I was so sure... I guess the D23 book was in the movie then. So what does that make the 42e book? Since that one has no review quote on the back, and it's the same art we see on the viral website for the book.

Hehe, it's okay. Trust me, those books were shown so fast, I would have barely noticed them if they weren't used as featured props elsewhere.

One piece I wont have to make, I was one of the 16 lucky folks to snag the ARG version of the book (Picture on page 1 is mine!).

Great work here, you guys have pretty much nailed it. Don't know if anyone has pointed this out (or if it's helpful info or not), but the ARG book itself actually has the title and author printed on the spine (i.e. they didn't go out and pick up a book in a book store and hollow it out, Disney/42E had these custom made) and the pages in the book are blank save for the first two which have the book info on page one and a dedication to Kev's family on page 2.

Should be able to, what resolution are you folks looking for?

600 dpi or higher - you can do it in sections and later paste them together with a editor... thank you for your courtesy and time, very very appreciated - oh and don't forget to calibrate your scanner to get the best out of your scan :thumbsup

600 dpi or higher - you can do it in sections and later paste them together with a editor... thank you for your courtesy and time, very very appreciated - oh and don't forget to calibrate your scanner to get the best out of your scan :thumbsup

No worries, it shouldn't take long and stitching it together in Photoshop will only take a few minutes. I will try and get to it tonight when I get off work.

If I have a high enough rez graphic, I might be able to make a small run of ARG version, along with cut-out inside to act as a safe, or to put small props inside. Not sure yet.

I have a 42e one near done as well . It just needs the faint colored stripes on the back cover. I dont need any help with the line count- I didn't get to it yet because I spent most of today working on the D23 version.

All I need to get both of these books done is a better scan image of Flynn's photo and the Binary Sunset code image on the front. I tried to clean up the flynn and binary images from the huge scan that was posted here, but I'm not happy with the results I got. Need better images.
24g9534.jpg

Hey folks, sorry I wasn't able to get the scan up last night. I did get the cover scanned but I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet or setup the print bleeds. I should be able to get it done by Friday at the latest. If Gerald's scan works for everyone just let me know and I will save myself the grunt work!

I also sat down with the book and measured some things out and made scans of the interior pages for you all. I couldn't scan the page at the bottom of the hollow portion without destroying the book but it was a page that was found during the ARG so I have included it in the file below. It's not as high res as my scans are, but it should be good enough to work.

If the following info has already been posted by someone else, my apologies for repeating it, if not hopefully it will come in handy. The only thing that would be difficult to reproduce is the actual hard cover of the book as it is literally the same art as the dust jacket. I wonder how much it cost to have those custom made? Anyways...I have attached the interior pages as they are pretty much ready to rock, hopefully the cover wont take long either.

Here are the specs of the ARG Digital Frontier book (in inches):

Total Cover Height: 9.125"
Total Cover Width: 21"

Cover/Back Cover: 6.125" x 9.125"
Spine: 1.25" x 9.125"
Flaps: 3.75" x 9.125"

Total Book Height: 9.125"
Total Book Width: 6.125"
Total Book Depth: 1.4375" (1 7/16ths)

Page Height: 8.8125" (8 13/16ths)
Page Width: 5.75"
Page Depth: 1.1875"

Hollow Portion Height: 8.3125" (8 5/16ths)
Hollow Portion Width: 5"
Hollow Portion Depth: .6875"
Hollow Portion Border (distance between edge of page and beginning of cut):
.25" on top, right side and bottom

Number of pages/order:
2 Blank Pages
1 Title Page
1 Dedication Page
3 Blank Pages
Hollow Portion (Page at bottom of hollow portion is Digital Frontier, page 75)
1 Blank Page
1 Puzzle Key Page (Sorry guys, want to keep it to myself)

In addition to the book the hollow portion contained 4 pages that had been torn out of the Tron arcade game cabinet manual (the punched holes were literally torn). I didn't have time to scan them but you can view a PDF of the manual here:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/T/Tron.pdf

If scans are needed I can get them. My book contained the following pages:
3-12/3-13
4-7/4-8
5-27/5-28 (5-28 was the key for the puzzle page)
5-29/Blank

Hope that helps you guys, it should be enough info to recreate a pretty accurate replica (sans the printed hardcover anyways, unless you are really good). I will try and have the cover tonight but I teach in the evenings so it might be tomorrow. Like I said, if Gerald's is good to go I will just let everyone run with his so let me know if I should move forward with my cover or not.

Good luck!

Link to download Interior Pages (Title, Dedication and DF p.75), good for 7 days only :
https://www.yousendit.com/download/bFlGSXQySytHa094dnc9PQ

Preview Images:
5373000224_e9c0c83f8e.png

5373000030_f82a1eb306.png

book.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'd love to have the option to choose. Please scan the cover when you have a chance. Thanks

I would love better scans of Jeff's picture and the binary part. I'd prefer that they not be cleaned up or tweaked. Hardcover or Jacket. Does not matter to me as long as they are high res and raw. Any cleaning might remove some of what was there.
There are purple and white streaks on the other scan and a bleeding scanner head lightband on the sides of binary part of the cover where the jacket curved over the hardcover. I removed them, but not as well as I would have liked. With a big enough picture I could probably split the image into 3 rgb layers- vectorize these 3 b&w layers and then combine them again in photoshop to get a really crisp clean image of that binary art, and clonebrush patch out the areas where the vector conversion layers failed.

Thanks

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back