Hellboy Rasputin Mecha Glove project?

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

I'm trying to find GOOD photos of Rasputin's steampunk Mecha Glove from the first movie. I've scoured the net already and found a couple teeny tiny shots. The art book wasn't much help and screencaps from the movie aren't super due to the heavy color tinting.

So... are there any good high rez shots of the prop out there?

Last edited:
Re: Hellboy Rasputin Mecha Glove photos?

I have some great pics- I'll see if I can upload them later tonight. I started making the Mecha Glove last year but other projects took priority so it got put on the back burner for a bit.

Here you go- I don't remember where I found these pics but I believe the glove was built at Spectral Motion and the guy in the pics is Mark Setrakian.
mechaglove6.jpg

mechaglove4.jpg

mechaglove3.jpg

mechaglove8.jpg

mechaglove9.jpg

mechaglove7.jpg

mechaglove5.jpg

mechaglove2.jpg

mechaglove1.jpg

Thank you THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

The detail on that thing is insane. Probably one of the most detailed props in the film and it's only on screen for a few seconds. Damn, I do love those movies.

Those are some frikkin' great pics!
I never knew about all those hidden details.
The most amazing bit is seeing the dial with Lovecraft references.
Thanks for posting those.

Built by the guy who made those killer 'bots from Battlebots?! Awesome... his snake robot was amazing, as was Mechadon.

Mechadon4.0.jpg

It's probably one of my all time favorite movie props- I really need to start working on it again. There's also some great video of its construction on the behind the scenes bits on the DVD set.

I started working on mine using ABS plumbing pipe and I hand cut a large ring gear from plastic sheet to see how I could make the large rotating "slip ring" assembly. It works pretty well using a 55 rpm servo to drive it. The original one was made from large aluminum tubing and in this photo of the underside you can see what looks like a geared motor to drive it. The motor should turn around 60- 70 rpm or so. The PVC pipe I used for a prototype is a bit small- I think the aluminum tubing used on the real one was probably between 7" to 8" diameter.

Mark is a very, very sharp guy. I remember watching the behind scenes and seeing him using MAX/MSP to control Kronen's hand- very cool.

Jerome

MechaGlove9e.jpg

MechaGloveGearDrive1.jpg

MechaGloveGearDrive2.jpg

Fact: The main arm tube is 6" diameter. You can take that to the bank. I'm making one of these puppies. I'll find out if I can post more of my research. I'm pretty far along.

Adam, I think you're in the running for Hellboy Prop King or something! Thanks so much for the measurement. Now... how 'bout some WIP photos? :)

/Joe

Fact: The main arm tube is 6" diameter. You can take that to the bank. I'm making one of these puppies. I'll find out if I can post more of my research. I'm pretty far along.

Honus,

Which DVD has the "Making of" segment on the arm? I searched both of the Hellboy editions I have and it doesn't seem to be on either.

Here's my in-progress templates for the leatherwork, and my aluminum tube with a stand-in ring from foamcore.

You can also view all the glove mechanisms in action in this video starting at around the 5:36 mark.
YouTube - HellBoy - Bastidores

I do have a slightly better quality copy of the video if anyone would like it emailed to them, please PM me.

Hope it helps!

Amazing prop!

This is just another perfect example that not all prop makers take the easy way out when building. That much detail for such a brief view... Over the top? I think not! ;)

Honus,

Which DVD has the "Making of" segment on the arm? I searched both of the Hellboy editions I have and it doesn't seem to be on either.

Here's my in-progress templates for the leatherwork, and my aluminum tube with a stand-in ring from foamcore.

Looks awesome so far- can't wait to see more! I just measured the plastic pipe I used on mine and it is 4" ID (4.5" OD) and I originally thought it was 5" ID- Doh! No wonder it looks so small- figured I was going to have to start over but now 6" diameter does look right. I'll have to get some 6" OD Aluminum tubing... Mine is stalled anyway until I finish building my 3D printer/CNC mill.

The little bit on the glove is on the second disc of the 2 disc special edition. It's listed in the Principal Photography section as Day 35: Constructing the Mecha-Glove.

Well, it looks like this might be turning into a multiple project thread, so I changed the title. Thanks to everyone so far for the help, now lets see if we can't get some of these made. :love

I just contacted a leatherwork supply place for some quotes and started breaking down the components. Hopefully Adam will be allowed to chime in with more info if he has the time but using 6" as a guide I've been trying to gauge the sizes of the different components. I'm kinda stumped as to which parts might be found items or custom built.

Some components I'm looking at solving follows. Tips, theories and ideas are welcome!

Fingertips:
These look like spools of red-tinted wire. On the tip, you can see a star-shaped object that looks very much like part of the electric motors that spin CD and DVD-Rom drives (I used to use them when building cutaway lightsabers... I've got a photo somewhere...). Fingertips, assuming they weren't custom vac-formed, could be plastic test tubes or florist tubes maybe?

Vacuum tubes:
It sure looks like the glove has a bunch of standard tubes on it but since finding the correct types is nigh-impossible with the available reference I'll be aiming for "close enough" until any new info surfaces. I count about 15 overall.

"Scorpion box and pressure gauge":
The box with the scorpion at least looks like a found part- maybe something from a ship or boat? Looks like the housing of an exterior barometer or something.

Aluminum "knobs" on the ring:
I count six of these (four on the main ring and two on the glove). They look almost identical. Found part or machined? Who knows... but if it's the latter we could get a bunch of them done if a few people wanted to.

Big glass dome:
Looks like a suitable snow globe could be used...

Bevels and tube rings:
Again... found parts or custom made? Don't know how I will tackle these yet. Styrene? Rapid prototyped in metal maybe? We'll see.

This is an awesome project... wish I had the time an money to join in. I will be following this thread with much enthusiasm. Good luck finding all the components and assembling the prop glove.

Honestly, from what I understand, almost all of the parts are custom. I think the nazi gauge is found, but I don't know from where. You can see little stamped numbers around the perimeter.

Fingertips.
These are machined, and you can see they're not perfectly cylindrical. they're tapered. The wire is standard magnetic winding wire. Used for motor windings. I've blown the thing up to what I believe is full size and the wire is .035" diameter
This is what I got from Amazon.
[SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] "Magnet Wire, Enameled Copper Wire, 1lb Spool, 20 AWG, 0.0334" Diameter, 320' Length (Pack of 1)"
Unknown Binding; $22.71[/SIZE]

Tubes

There are 6 of the aluminum cages

There are 12 glass tubes
5 fingertips
3 along the back of the thumb
1 further along, behind the hand
1 big snow globe one
1 at the wrist above the spinner ring
1 below that next to what I'm calling the concertina (the thing with the oscillating knobs at the base.

Inside some of the tubes can be seen some etched brass screen (and some incandescent bulbs) to approximate old radio tubes.

I ordered a few test tubes, and the bigger version, known as centrifuge tubes, but it also turns out that all the tubing is custom done.

So: I've ordered a full set of tubes for myself from a local scientific glass place here in the bay area. It's not cheap but it's less than I though it would be.

Scorpion box:
Again, Custom. Look at TyRuben Ellingson's original drawing. They matched it exactly.

The Aluminum Cage
The cage is repeated 6 times. 4 with short bases on the spinner ring, 1 with a short base on the hand and one with a long base on the hand.

Snow Globe for the big wrist dome is a great idea.
Maybe these guys could help:
Clear Acrylic Plastic Display Domes.

Tube base rings are all machined. Sorry to say that everything's custom on this baby.

Things to still search for:
The correct military connector that is used to connect the hand. It's a big'un. I've attached a pic for all you part-searchers out there. I'm reasonably positive that the connectors at the other end, the ones going into the concertina, are 1/4"NPT air fittings with a barb. I believe the "wire" to be black latex tubing. In the film, I think that they may be covered with a "chinese finger cuff" black mesh type housing. I bought some that hasn't arrived yet and I can't find the order right now.

The real part that the Nazi gauge might have been made from. The stamped numbers might be a clue. Then again it's likely only the face that's found. the cylinder it's on looks so consistent with the other glass tube bases that I've concluded that it's original.

Inexpensive 6"ID ring bearings (they are HUNDREDS of bucks each).
Where to get a 7" diameter brass gear that seems to be 1/8" thick with 480-500 teeth all around (my best guess). This might be out of the realm of reasonable. There are plenty of simpler ways to do it. Even using skateboard bearings in a guide could work fine.

Motor for spinning ring
I'm guessing that the drive motor for the spinner ring is a stripped down servo motor. Not sure what make and model

A good source for the braided wire. there's a lot of it on this thing, running all over the place, and the stuff is harder to locate than I though it would be.

The open spade connectors are this kind:
[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] "Non-Insulated Spade Connectors for 12-10 x #10 Stud, 100 pack"
$5.00[/SIZE]Again from Amazon.

I believe all the "bus bars" around the thing are also custom, likely black delrin, which can be bought pretty cheap on eBay in nice sized chunks.

I've been setting up my shop with a ton of good brass screws as well. I'll post the sizes I think are correct as I go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back