Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Since we're playing what-if's now....what if Ingruber was given the choice of Solo or Jones and he chose Jones? I mean, think about it. Han Solo is a one-off and LFL has been pretty clear that the stand alones are just one-offs, with no sequels (see the wiping out of the entire R1 crew). Raiders, meanwhile, could be endless. If you have the job, that could be anywhere from 1-5 flicks or even more.

That's an interesting question, cboath. IIRC, AI said in an interview that while he loved Star Wars and Han Solo, it was Ford's portrayal of Jones that he most closely identified with and admired.

Perhaps you're on to something. My gut tells me that is not the case. But it would be an explanation of AI's reticence on the Solo role, if true.

The Wook

I'm still waiting to hear what Alden has done to show he can handle a $150m movie/franchise better than any other schmoe off the street. A couple of supporting roles in quirky small movies?

The question is does he hate him more than Le Beouf ?

Well the rumors are they may continue with Indy V set right after IV. If thats the case then in theory they will have to bring back Indies lad.And I somehow doubt that they would want Shia again. Will Harrison be available or able to another INDY VI as an action hero in the future ?????
Doubtfull, he really does seemed to have reached the point where unless we see him being driven (or flown) around as he did with Sean Connery its unlikely. Given they have set the release date for 2019 its been suspiously quiet, certainly no casting rumors or such.
I know they can easily set release dates back, particularly if there is competition (I know "Ready Player One" has been moved back to March 2018 to avoid TLJ) but Steven Spielberg is well into post production with that and I'm assuming he's ready to shoot Indy V this summer/autumn.
So given that Disney say they want to keep the franchise going they will need somebody to take it over. Whether or not Anthony Ingruber is involved because he lacks the experience I don't know, but its odd there has been absolutely no comment from him about the Han Solo movie at all. You might (at the very least ) expect something.
Given that he would be in his thirties IF they ever do an Indy VI hes a bloody good fit.Whether or not he's got the ability with that maturity is another matter altogether and I don't know.
But as far as Lucasfilm and Disney is concerned getting Indy right is far more critical than Han Solo. The Han standalone (if it ends up being that) is a fair gamble, if it does well then there is plenty of time to squeeze more Solo films in between this one and ANH. If it bombs (doubtful) then Alden doesn't carry the problem of miscasting into the Jones franchise.
Anyway its all speculation on my part, my best guess is we will hear soonish anyway, its officailly the start of spring tomorrow so time is running short if they are to hit that release date

Anthony did a phenomenal job voicing the Joker for Batman: The Tell Tale Series if anyone has seen or played that. I didn't even know it was him until I stumbled upon it looking him up.
If you have any questions about his ability to perform.. go look up some of his Joker scenes. I realize it's a voice acting role, but he puts so much character and and life into his performance. There is not a single bit of doubt in my mind he could handle Han or Indy.. or any other main role for that matter.

He has also worked at WETA apparently..which is pretty damn cool.

Last edited:

That's pretty cool. Loved him on The Wire and Boardwalk Empire.

In terms of Ingruber not being able to carry a franchise, the same could've been said about Ford when casting SW. What had he done apart from good carpentry work and a bit part? It's called discovering or breaking new talent. I know few have the balls to do it anymore, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable. Maybe he is. He's no less qualified than Ford was once upon a time.

Except no-one (outside of the production) had expectations about Han Solo when they cast Ford, the movie itself had nowhere near the budget deployed for this one, and the stakes are not the same ! It's relatively easy to cast a nobody in a first, "low" budget film, it's something when a titan like Disney is producing the film as part of franchise...

In terms of Ingruber not being able to carry a franchise, the same could've been said about Ford when casting SW. What had he done apart from good carpentry work and a bit part? It's called discovering or breaking new talent. I know few have the balls to do it anymore, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable. Maybe he is. He's no less qualified than Ford was once upon a time.

Yeah, as teragon points out that's a false equivalency.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, Anthony Ingruber's solo impression is like having to sit through someone who can sing alright taking too many turns at karaeoke. They mostly hit the notes, but it's lacking the quality that made the song a hit. I'd much rather be subjected to a more raw, honest, looser take - even if it reads a bit further apart from the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, Anthony Ingruber's solo impression is like having to sit through someone who can sing alright taking too many turns at karaeoke. They mostly hit the notes, but it's lacking the quality that made the song a hit. I'd much rather be subjected to a more raw, honest, looser take - even if it reads a bit further apart from the original.

When someone's doing an impression of someone else, they're really doing a caricature of that person--incorporating the maximum number of the signature features of their style of speaking (voice, tone, cadence, etc.), and their facial expressions and body language, into the impression. They're invariably exaggerations, meant to make people laugh, or be otherwise awed. And that's exactly what Ingruber's Solo impressions on youtube are.

But you're making a terrible assumption that Ingruber, if cast as Han Solo in a two-hour movie, would deliver that same, over-the-top, caricature impression. He would not. No director worth his salt would utilize him that way, as it would sink the film. Ingruber would dial it back, and give a real-to-life performance in which elements of Ford's style of speaking, facial expressions and body language would come through. And given his ability to strike those chords with such true resonance, combined with his uncanny physical resemblance to a young Ford, he would've been perfect for the role.

It boggles my mind that they passed on him. He looks like Ford, he sounds like Ford, he's the same height as Ford, he's the perfect age for the character in the film--Anthony Ingruber was served up to Disney on a silver platter. But a man named Spielberg had other ideas, and with a single phone call to Kathleen Kennedy, the movie mogul secured the role for a lilliputian he met at a mutual friend's bat mitzvah.

Hollywood cronyism at its worst.

The Wook

Last edited:

When someone's doing an impression of someone else, they're really doing a caricature of that person--incorporating the maximum number of the signature features of their style of speaking (voice, tone, cadence, etc.), and their facial expressions and body language, into the impression. They're invariably exaggerations, meant to make people laugh, or be otherwise awed. And that's exactly what Ingruber's Solo impressions on youtube are.

But you're making a terrible assumption that Ingruber, if cast as Han Solo in a two-hour movie, would deliver that same, over-the-top, caricature impression. He would not. No director worth his salt would utilize him that way, as it would sink the film. Ingruber would dial it back, and give a real-to-life performance in which elements of Ford's style of speaking, facial expressions and body language would come through. And given his ability to strike those chords with such true resonance, combined with his uncanny physical resemblance to a young Ford, he would've been perfect for the role.

It boggles my mind that they passed on him. He looks like Ford, he sounds like Ford, he's the same height as Ford, he's the perfect age for the character in the film--Anthony Ingruber was served up to Disney on a silver platter. But a man named Spielberg had other ideas, and with a single phone call to Kathleen Kennedy, secured the role for a lilliputian he met at a mutual friend's bat mitzvah.

Hollywood cronyism at its worst.

The Wook

I get that you're impressed. I'm just not. And I do know what an impression is; I just think his is a bit strained - obnoxious, even - and no indicator of his own acting talent without having a roadmap for every moment and line. Characters like Indy and Han need to have a lot more personality than "young Harrison Ford in age of Adeline." It's why they're beloved, why they can carry a film. Ehrenreich showed what he could do as far back as Tetro. He's got a spark of his own.

I realize that it's again personal taste, and that I would rather they not retread Han or Indy with another actor, but I'd rather see a whole new take than some tacky uncanny valley attempt at recreating Ford - because that just isn't gonna happen. To me, Ingruber's videos are proof positive that they should never try. I'm beyond glad they had the good sense not to hire him. Maybe this bad idea of a film will end up being watchable instead of playing like an awkward fan flick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that you're impressed. I'm just not. And I do know what an impression is; I just think his is a bit strained - obnoxious, even - and no indicator of his own acting talent without having a roadmap for every moment and line. Characters like Indy and Han need to have a lot more personality than "young Harrison Ford in age of Adeline." It's why they're beloved, why they can carry a film. Ehrenreich showed what he could do as far back as Tetro. He's got a spark of his own.

I realize that it's again personal taste, and that I would rather they not retread Han or Indy with another actor, but I'd rather see a whole new take than some tacky uncanny valley attempt at recreating Ford - because that just isn't gonna happen. To me, Ingruber's videos are proof positive that they should never try. I'm beyond glad they had the good sense not to hire him. Maybe this bad idea of a film will end up being watchable instead of playing like an awkward fan flick.

His youtube impressions are over-the-top. They're supposed to be--they're youtube impressions. Besides, he did them when he was a teenager back in 2008. But he dialed it way back in the Age of Adeline, totally selling that he was a young Ford. I realize it was not a meaty role in that film, but I saw plenty to convince me he could pull of a young Han Solo better than anyone else I'm aware...especially a 5' 7" Spielberg beneficiary who looks and sounds nothing like him.

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back