Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

newv2.jpgnewv2b.jpg

Here's my first attempt at a new model

Ok.

NOOB (to the V2) question...

What paint do I need to paint the aluminum to get it to scrape off & weather like this?

Also, I'm hearing toothpicks & aluminum foil are the best tools for the scraping?

There does appear to be the slightest bit of a recess. Could be thinning at the edge like you say though.
v2cap1.jpg

v2cap2.jpg

v2newcompare.jpgv2newcompare2.jpgv2newcompare3.jpgv2newcompare4.jpg

Here are a couple comparison shots

So, here's how I developed this model.
I took my 3d model of the stunt saber (which was made from dimensions of an original ANH metal stunt casting) and I skimmed off about a quarter of a millimeter off the bottom, with the idea that what most likely happened was that they took the stunt casting and cleaned it up on a lathe. I then removed a little bit from the grip ridges to even them out a bit, with the idea that in the clean up, they most likely would have taken a standard size lathe tool and taken a bit off the grip ridges to remove the seam and as a result made the grips look a little more even. But I kept the constraints of the cleanup within the bounds of the original casting.

Given that Brandon thinks the pommel and emitter were machined from new stock, I drew up new models based off of the stunt saber, but with a bit more symmetry to them, trying to match the pictures as closely as I could.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks. Any feedback would be really appreciated. I'm really quite torn now between waiting until the day when new pictures of the original are made public and pulling the trigger on this thing and just doing a run now. I've really wanted to finish this prop off for quite some time now.

Thanks. Any feedback would be really appreciated. I'm really quite torn now between waiting until the day when new pictures of the original are made public and pulling the trigger on this thing and just doing a run now. I've really wanted to finish this prop off for quite some time now.

You've waited this long, best to make the run definitive.

Part of me feels that way. But it could be a month or it could be ten years before we see any better pictures. And we already know so much...
Anyone want to argue the other side :devil

Part of me feels that way. But it could be a month or it could be ten years before we see any better pictures. And we already know so much...
Anyone want to argue the other side :devil

I'd ere on the side of caution and say patience. Let's squeeze as much as we can from Brandon and when he's finally fed up, pull the trigger. He's not gonna post any more photos in future, as he mentioned earlier, but at least we can wring him dry of what he can say about the thing.

Also, are there two holes in the nipple? How many holes are there exactly, now, in this thing? There's one in the pommel, one on the base of the "grenade" body, think there may be one in the "windvane", maybe one in the emitter, and thought there was one in the nipple.

Brandon says there are two holes in the nipple. The holes on this saber line up with those on the shared stunt. I don't think this one has a hole in the widvain or emitter body. Where did you see a hole on the base of the grenade body?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back