Peter Capaldi to step down as the DR after the latest season

...Don't time lords have a total of 12 bodies? The first plus 11 regenerations? Not counting the weirdness with the "war doctor" and Tennant's hand/clone, how does Capaldi get to regenerate? Hasn't the cat used all of its lives at this point?
Come on, nobody seriously thinks they will ever stop regenerating the Doctor so long as the concept makes money. They'll make up an excuse.
Will and have.

Twelve regenerations, so thirteen incarnations (not bodies, they're all the same body, according to the Fourth Doctor). Smith was the thirteenth (yes, Tennant's hand counts, as does the War Doctor), but at the end of The Time of the Doctor, he was granted a new set of regenerations. However, it's unclear (and has been questioned by both Twelve and Rassilon) how many regenerations he still has.

Personally, here's my thoughts on the new Doctor:

1) Not female. I don't trust them to pull off a female Doctor well. They can't pull off a male Doctor without throwing romance into it, or making him appear 2-3 times his Companions' age, so all I can see with a female Doctor is sexytimes.

2) British. It's a British show, not anything else. I don't mind the occasional Companion or guest who's not British, but it's inherently a British show for British audiences.

3) In the 35-50 age range. While I do enjoy the cranky grandfather Doctor, the age of the actor does limit what the character can do. Likewise, I'm not a fan of the younger Doctors like Smith or Tennant (I loved Tennant, but I do prefer a bit older).

4) Relatively unknown. I don't mean "brand new," but someone who's not hugely famous. I don't want the Doctor to be a "big name" actor. Let him become well known because of his performance, not people watching it because of him.

Twelve regenerations, so thirteen incarnations (not bodies, they're all the same body, according to the Fourth Doctor). Smith was the thirteenth (yes, Tennant's hand counts, as does the War Doctor), but at the end of The Time of the Doctor, he was granted a new set of regenerations. However, it's unclear (and has been questioned by both Twelve and Rassilon) how many regenerations he still has.

Personally, here's my thoughts on the new Doctor:

1) Not female. I don't trust them to pull off a female Doctor well. They can't pull off a male Doctor without throwing romance into it, or making him appear 2-3 times his Companions' age, so all I can see with a female Doctor is sexytimes.

2) British. It's a British show, not anything else. I don't mind the occasional Companion or guest who's not British, but it's inherently a British show for British audiences.

3) In the 35-50 age range. While I do enjoy the cranky grandfather Doctor, the age of the actor does limit what the character can do. Likewise, I'm not a fan of the younger Doctors like Smith or Tennant (I loved Tennant, but I do prefer a bit older).

4) Relatively unknown. I don't mean "brand new," but someone who's not hugely famous. I don't want the Doctor to be a "big name" actor. Let him become well known because of his performance, not people watching it because of him.

well as for thought no1 Capaldi has Tippet Francis De la tour as the next Doctor
IMG_5605.PNGIMG_5606.PNG
They have talked about it for years female Doctor maybe this is the year or Capaldi is just being a spin Doctor

I enjoyed Capaldi's Doctor, while still feeling let down by much of his run. Much of that is because I grew tired of Clara, especially after they brought her back for S9.
But I thought Capaldi has a nice take on the Doctor, and some of his episodes were really good. Flatline, After the Flood, and Heaven Sent were great. Hell Bent was bollux, to borrow a term from over there, and a terrible followup to the previous episode. Overall, I liked the 2 parters of S9, as they felt more like Classic Who, giving the story time to unravel to a conclusion, rather than setting up a lot of atmosphere and cranking out a finale in the last 5 minutes.

I've enjoyed all of the Doctors, though some more than others, so I have the usual; sad and excited anticipation for a new one. Here's hoping the new show runner brings us some good times, some companions that AREN'T from modern day London, and a female archetype that's not just quirky-sassy-sexy, as all of Moffat's women are. (I know they're fun in real life, but not all fun women are like this) Sigh, I miss Donna...

Three years seems about right for a good run. Except for Eccleston, that's the average.
I really like Capaldi and blame Moffat for lazy stories. His predecessor's stories were full of pomp and mostly awful, except for the stories Moffat contributed which were brilliant. But when Moffat took over he couldn't keep up the pace of the stories he's known for, and it shows. Capaldi has had more bad stories than the rest, unfortunately.

After all that moaning about how old he is I'm sure they'll cave and go back younger. Or worse, bow to political correctness.
And please dump Matt Lucas. He's great in Little Britain but doesn't seem to fit in Who. Then again, Clara started getting on my nerves too so what do I know.

I don't mind the idea of a female Doctor or a black Doctor or whatever, so long as that's not the reason they were picked to be the Doctor. Way too often today, actors are picked for roles, not because they are the best candidate, but because they fit some political agenda. If whoever is the best choice for the Doctor just so happens to be female or black or whatever, fine. But if they are looking for female candidates or black candidates specifically, screw that. And they need to permanently end this sexytime crap. The Doctor is not human. The idea of the Doctor romantically involved with their companions is like screwing your Chihuahua. It's disgusting.

Absolutely agree. It may have international appeal, but it is a production of the BBC.

I don't really care about age so long as the actor is really good in the role. I really didn't like Matt Smith's take on the Doctor at all. How much of that was Smith and how much was Moffat, I don't know, but it just didn't appeal to me. They keep making the Doctor moody and that's not what I want to watch.

Unfortunately, Doctor Who, like lots of iconic roles, tends to ruin acting careers because they typecast whoever winds up in the role. James Bond does the same thing. Nobody who ever played Doctor Who, at least so far, has gone on to be a huge actor following their stint. I think that any "big name" actors wouldn't want to tie themselves down to a TV show like Doctor Who anyhow.

I've enjoyed all of the Doctors, though some more than others, so I have the usual; sad and excited anticipation for a new one. Here's hoping the new show runner brings us some good times, some companions that AREN'T from modern day London, and a female archetype that's not just quirky-sassy-sexy, as all of Moffat's women are. (I know they're fun in real life, but not all fun women are like this) Sigh, I miss Donna...

I really didn't like Donna all that much, except for her "you're not getting in my pants, mister!" attitude that was refreshing after Rose. My favorite so far has been Martha, who after a misguided attempt at love (thanks Davies), she realizes not only is she better than that, that the TARDIS isn't where she ought to be, she gets off voluntarily and becomes a much better person thereafter, finding love with Mickey Smith and becoming a high ranking official in UNIT. Rose stayed a pathetic loser the whole time, she never improved as a person, Donna, perhaps worst of all, never became anything better than she started and she even lost all of her memories of her time on the TARDIS. And Clara... can someone shoot that obnoxious cow please?

This show needs to lose Moffat and any of his yes men. Capaldi is a great actor, too bad the writing never matched. I gave up on the show a bit ago. Deleted a bunch I had waiting on DVR. Sometimes you just need to throw out a bad product. I'm a bit sick of the show revolving around "Look how clever I am and special" companions.

I'm getting a big laugh at all of the people complaining about Steven Moffat as just as many if not more complained about RTD when he was in charge.

As for people saying the Doctor has to be British because this is a British show there have been a lot of American shows and movies that had British/Australian/Canadian actors portraying Americans with fake accents no one complaining about them. Christian Bale and Damien Lewis are a couple of them that come to mind.

I really didn't like Donna all that much, except for her "you're not getting in my pants, mister!" attitude that was refreshing after Rose. My favorite so far has been Martha, who after a misguided attempt at love (thanks Davies), she realizes not only is she better than that, that the TARDIS isn't where she ought to be, she gets off voluntarily and becomes a much better person thereafter, finding love with Mickey Smith and becoming a high ranking official in UNIT. Rose stayed a pathetic loser the whole time, she never improved as a person, Donna, perhaps worst of all, never became anything better than she started and she even lost all of her memories of her time on the TARDIS. And Clara... can someone shoot that obnoxious cow please?

Good point about Martha. The first time through, I was really irritated that ANOTHER companion comes along to be all swoony over 10nent. On my second run through of the series, I liked her much, much more.

The Doctor: Martha Jones, you saved the world.
Martha: Yes, I did. I spent a lot of time with you, thinking I was second best. But you know what? I am good!

Good point about Martha. The first time through, I was really irritated that ANOTHER companion comes along to be all swoony over 10nent. On my second run through of the series, I liked her much, much more.

The Doctor: Martha Jones, you saved the world.
Martha: Yes, I did. I spent a lot of time with you, thinking I was second best. But you know what? I am good!

I hated that too, but what can you expect, Davies sexualizes all of his characters in everything he does. But luckily, she outgrew that kind of immature puppy dog love nonsense and grew into her own woman, someone who is legitimately better than just a bout every character that's been on nu-Who so far.

I'm getting a big laugh at all of the people complaining about Steven Moffat as just as many if not more complained about RTD when he was in charge.

As for people saying the Doctor has to be British because this is a British show there have been a lot of American shows and movies that had British/Australian/Canadian actors portraying Americans with fake accents no one complaining about them. Christian Bale and Damien Lewis are a couple of them that come to mind.

I never complained about RTD. I really enjoyed his run. My only complaint about that period was the tendency to have the companions all seem to fall in love with the Doctor, but that changed with Donna, which I really enjoyed. Donna also properly challenged the Doctor and wasn't just some "Oh no, Doctor! What do we do?!" character.

Sean Pertwee
Sean Pertwee
Sean Pertwee
Sean Pertwee
Sean Pertwee
Sean Pertwee
Sean Pertwee
Sean Pertwee
Sean Pertwee
Sean Pertwee

Much as I love the idea, you know they'd just kill him midway through his first season.

Setting aside the Sharpe series, I'm actually curious as to who has more movie deaths: Pertwee or Bean.

RTD had his crap too, but at least the show focused around The Doctor most of the time, and didn't make him the Co-Star.

Yes. Very much this. But the other nice thing about the RTD era was how it handled story arcs most of the time. By that I mean it didn't constantly lampshade them and drop big hints that were supposed to tantalize the viewer at this grand mystery. Which meant that when the reveal of what had been going on behind the scenes all season came to pass, it felt a lot less like an ass-pull when it finally resolved, because there hadn't already been a ton of build-up to it.

Moreover, at least as well as I can recall, the RTD era generally played by the rules it established, although it did start to break those somewhat towards the end, especially with the "season of specials." By that I mean that if the show said something like "Oh, you can't ever reverse the polarity of the TARDIS' neutron flow, because XYZ," the show would either (A) respect that, or (B) explain why/how it was breaking that rule. It wouldn't just...do crap because it was expedient to the story in the moment.

And it stuck to its guns better, too. It mostly didn't undo consequences of its stories just because a given character was a fan favorite, or -- worse -- a showrunner favorite. The one exception to this, I suppose, is how Rose ultimately came back to this reality, albeit briefly, but again, that was towards the end of RTD's run where the quality of the show degenerated. For most of it, though, stuff didn't get fixed just because you liked a companion. Donna is still just run-of-the-mill Donna, living her run-of-the-mill life with no memory of having ever had amazing experiences, no matter how sad that is.

Compare that to Clara, who died multiple times, was shredded and scattered throughout the Doctor's continuity, watched her boyfriend die and left the TARDIS, died AGAIN from a death raven curse thing whatever who gives a crap, and still came back AGAIN just because bloody Moffat has a bloody crush on Jenna bloody Coleman.

While I hated the companion's crushes in the RTD era, I've hated Moffat and his dragging out of the Pond storyline, which could easily have been one series, Clara I did actually love at first, I guess because at times she had a bit of the Romana type of relationship going on with him, but that went away and yeah, she just won't go. Two seasons top is all she needed. I read she kept being wishy washy about leaving but seriously, at that point just tell her to go.

I felt like they were really trying to force us into seeing her as the new Sarah Jane or something.

I do hope eventually we see Jack again, but yeah River's last appearance should have been the first time she met the Doctor. That would have bookended her storyline perfectly, but nope.

River's last appearance should have been the first time she met the Doctor. That would have bookended her storyline perfectly, but nope.

Actually I have to say that I loved "The Husbands of River Song" and the fact that the Doctor showed up with a new suit and a haircut and took her to see the singing towers of darillium at the end; that to me was the perfect bookend for River's story line...

In all honesty my interest in Doctor Who is dead, Moffat effectively killed any enthusiasm I had for the show. It's really a shame because I loved both Smith's and Capaldi's take on the character, I just couldn't take any more of Moffat's craptacular writing deficiencies and totally disregard for consistency.

I started getting sick of the show when The 11th Doctor constantly insisted on giving huge speeches about how amazing he is and how afraid everyone should be of him and how everything was always solved in 3 seconds with a bs explaination and how everything was always so forced into trying to be "epic." Not every episode has to be some extravaganza. Make some stuff with a good story, moving characters and stop it with that "Love saved the day" crap. Love is amazing, but really, love stopping a cyborg from exploding? Ridiculous crap.

I think the biggest thing I want to see is less interconnect stories. The 9th Doctors season did it well, and the lead up to Clara as well, but all the other seasons it felt really forced and shoehorned in. I miss the randomness and standalone stories of the old days. There's been so few standalones in the new series. What I want to see more of is the episodes where the Doctor doesn't win. I think it does a better job of really showing the consequences of his travels.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back