Peter Capaldi to step down as the DR after the latest season

Bengrim09

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Peter Capaldi has announced he is to step down as the DR after this season, his last appearance will be at Christmas 2017

This has to be one of the shortest terms as the DR so far in the show's history. My folks watch it all the time but they're just not into his DR as much as they were the 10th and even 11th doctors. They need to bring back the 4th Doctor since he told the 11th doctor that he'd be revisiting old faces.

I wonder if they would be bringing back some old "sidekicks" for lack of better word. Like Rose to Eccleston.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Whatever. It's a shame to see Capaldi go, but I kind of expected that he wouldn't outlast Moffat.

I'm ready for a new era of the show. Capaldi's run has been a very mixed bag, trending towards disappointment. He's great in the role, but the episodes and story arcs have been a lot of crap with a few gems scattered within.

I love Capaldi as the Doctor. That being said I am not a 14 year old girl who I believe is their target audience ie. Smith and Tenant. I really hate that Capaldi had so many limited opportunities to really show what he could do. When he did he was brilliant.

Whatever. It's a shame to see Capaldi go, but I kind of expected that he wouldn't outlast Moffat.

I'm ready for a new era of the show. Capaldi's run has been a very mixed bag, trending towards disappointment. He's great in the role, but the episodes and story arcs have been a lot of crap with a few gems scattered within.

Totally agree with this, however I wish he could have a season with chibnall to show what he can really do. A chance to really shine.

For anyone curious on tenure...

Note: Multi-part episodes are counted as a single story

First Doctor: 1963-1966, 29 stories
Second Doctor: 1966-1969, 21 stories
Third Doctor: 1970-1974, 24 stories
Fourth Doctor: 1974-1981, 41 stories
Fifth Doctor: 1981-1984, 19 stories (20 if you include The Five Doctors)
Sixth Doctor: 1984-1986, 8 stories (11 if you count Trial of a Time Lord as separate stories)
Seventh Doctor: 1987-1989 (and a brief appearance in 1996), 12 stories (13 if you include the TV movie)
Eighth Doctor: 1996 (and 2013), 1 story (2 if you include the Night of the Doctor short)
Ninth Doctor: 2005, 10 stories
Tenth Doctor: 2005-2010, 36 stories
Eleventh Doctor: 2010-2013, 38 stories
Twelfth Doctor: 2013-2017, 22/35 stories (current vs projected)

So, with 4 years and 35 (as of the 2017 Christmas special, projected), that puts Capaldi in line with Tennant and Smith. To rank all of the Doctors, by time and by number of stories...

Time (rounded, and counting first full-to-last episode airing)
1. Fourth Doctor: 6 years
2. Tenth Doctor: 4 years (tie)
2. Eleventh Doctor: 4 years (tie)
4. Third Doctor: 3.5 years
5. First Doctor: 3 years (tie)
5. Second Doctor: 3 years (tie)
5. Sixth Doctor: 3 years (tie)
5. Twelfth Doctor: 3 years (discounting no non-Christmas episodes in 2016, which would've made it 4) (tie)
9. Fifth Doctor: 2.5 years
10. Seventh Doctor: 2 years
11. Ninth Doctor: 1 year
12. Eighth Doctor: 1 movie

Number of stories
1. Fourth Doctor: 41 stories
2. Eleventh Doctor: 38 stories
3. Tenth Doctor: 36 stories
4. Twelfth Doctor: 35 stories (projected)
5. First Doctor: 29 stories
6. Third Doctor: 24 stories
7. Second Doctor: 21 stories
8. Fifth Doctor: 19 stories (20 if you include The Five Doctors)
9. Seventh Doctor: 12 stories (13 if you include the TV movie)
10. Sixth Doctor: 8 stories (11 if you count Trial of a Time Lord as separate stories)
11. Ninth Doctor: 10 stories
12. Eighth Doctor: 1 story (2 if you include the Night of the Doctor short)
(Sixth and Ninth can be switched depending on how you count Trial of a Time Lord)

So, in number of stories, he's near the top, and in amount of time, he's in the middle.

For anyone curious on tenure...

Note: Multi-part episodes are counted as a single story

First Doctor: 1963-1966, 29 stories
Second Doctor: 1966-1969, 21 stories
Third Doctor: 1970-1974, 24 stories
Fourth Doctor: 1974-1981, 41 stories
Fifth Doctor: 1981-1984, 19 stories (20 if you include The Five Doctors)
Sixth Doctor: 1984-1986, 8 stories (11 if you count Trial of a Time Lord as separate stories)
Seventh Doctor: 1987-1989 (and a brief appearance in 1996), 12 stories (13 if you include the TV movie)
Eighth Doctor: 1996 (and 2013), 1 story (2 if you include the Night of the Doctor short)
Ninth Doctor: 2005, 10 stories
Tenth Doctor: 2005-2010, 36 stories
Eleventh Doctor: 2010-2013, 38 stories
Twelfth Doctor: 2013-2017, 22/35 stories (current vs projected)

So, with 4 years and 35 (as of the 2017 Christmas special, projected), that puts Capaldi in line with Tennant and Smith. To rank all of the Doctors, by time and by number of stories...

Time (rounded, and counting first full-to-last episode airing)
1. Fourth Doctor: 6 years
2. Tenth Doctor: 4 years (tie)
2. Eleventh Doctor: 4 years (tie)
4. Third Doctor: 3.5 years
5. First Doctor: 3 years (tie)
5. Second Doctor: 3 years (tie)
5. Sixth Doctor: 3 years (tie)
5. Twelfth Doctor: 3 years (discounting no non-Christmas episodes in 2016, which would've made it 4) (tie)
9. Fifth Doctor: 2.5 years
10. Seventh Doctor: 2 years
11. Ninth Doctor: 1 year
12. Eighth Doctor: 1 movie

Number of stories
1. Fourth Doctor: 41 stories
2. Eleventh Doctor: 38 stories
3. Tenth Doctor: 36 stories
4. Twelfth Doctor: 35 stories (projected)
5. First Doctor: 29 stories
6. Third Doctor: 24 stories
7. Second Doctor: 21 stories
8. Fifth Doctor: 19 stories (20 if you include The Five Doctors)
9. Seventh Doctor: 12 stories (13 if you include the TV movie)
10. Sixth Doctor: 8 stories (11 if you count Trial of a Time Lord as separate stories)
11. Ninth Doctor: 10 stories
12. Eighth Doctor: 1 story (2 if you include the Night of the Doctor short)
(Sixth and Ninth can be switched depending on how you count Trial of a Time Lord)

So, in number of stories, he's near the top, and in amount of time, he's in the middle.

So you know your Dr Who then
my nephew is exactly the same and always has to rummage through my 5" action figure collection hopefully one day I will let him open the packages ( hell will freeze over first )

Who would you like to see as the next Doctor ?
i would love to see an older more mature Doctor with an English accent sir Ian Mcellan or Micheal Gambon I just think we need more acting with style than action and running with some bloody good storylines back to the style of peter Cushing in the movies or Troughton or Hartnell just for one season
just my age I think ( nostalgia ) aaahhhhh

Jude Law or Guy Pearce..

I agree Capaldi was given a lot of crap to work with. What I did like was that When he got angry, truly angry there was absolute menace, as in "I've burned my world what do you think I'll do to you?"

Jude Law or Guy Pearce..

I agree Capaldi was given a lot of crap to work with. What I did like was that When he got angry, truly angry there was absolute menace, as in "I've burned my world what do you think I'll do to you?"
totally agree I felt Capaldi had so much more in him to give but just didn't have ........... a decent storyline, script, it wasn't tense enough it was just plod plod plod and explain the whole storyline as fast as possible then plod again with a quick solution at the end to solve the problem

I agree, a lot of the issues with this version of the Doctor are much like the last few: the scripts. They need to clean house of the writers and get the show back on track.

OK, haven't watched in quite a while, but....

...Don't time lords have a total of 12 bodies? The first plus 11 regenerations? Not counting the weirdness with the "war doctor" and Tennant's hand/clone, how does Capaldi get to regenerate? Hasn't the cat used all of its lives at this point?

(And yes, The Master has stolen bodies and cheated, of course)

OK, haven't watched in quite a while, but....

...Don't time lords have a total of 12 bodies? The first plus 11 regenerations? Not counting the weirdness with the "war doctor" and Tennant's hand/clone, how does Capaldi get to regenerate? Hasn't the cat used all of its lives at this point?

(And yes, The Master has stolen bodies and cheated, of course)

Come on, nobody seriously thinks they will ever stop regenerating the Doctor so long as the concept makes money. They'll make up an excuse.

I didn't like the last Doctor's episodes, at all. I just don't like the "dark" genre. I wish this trend would end real soon. As far as the regenerations, I suspect he can now have many more because of Gallifrey infused the Doctor with more lives in the episode where he was to die.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back