Wizard of Oz - witch remover - Finished

MAKE BELIEVE

Master Member
New Project - the witch remover from the Wizard of Oz

Thought about having it made in brass and then paint and age it but when I found out about the price I decided to do it myself (heavy cardboard and PVC will do)

Description from the 2000 Christie’s auction:

"Bert Lahr “Cowardly Lion” prop “Witch Remover” from The Wizard of Oz. (MGM, 1939) This instantly recognizable prop is wielded by the Cowardly Lion as he, Dorothy, theTin Man and the Scarecrow enter the Haunted Forest and read aloud the signstating, “Haunted Forest…Witches Castle one mile…I’d turn back if I were you.”So visually important is this scene that MGM chose the image of this sequencefor one of their eight promotional lobby cards. This vintage hand pumpexterminator sprayer is constructed of steel and wood measuring 32.5 in. long x8.25 in. wide. Painted gray with red trim and hand lettered “WITCH REMOVER”along both sides of the cylinder."

First steps:

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Wizard of Oz - witch remover - WIP

Wow! What a cool and unique project! Can't wait to see how it turns out, man. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup

Wow! What a cool and unique project! Can't wait to see how it turns out, man. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup

Thank you my friend. Always good to read your kind comments. I hope it turns out ok to go along with my "Ruby Slippers" and my "Witch Hat". Next project will have to be the "Broomstick" :D

What a fun project! Can't wait to see more.
Thank you. As I said - hope it turns out ok.

I didn't realize that you had the "Witch" hat? That should make for a pretty cool display when you're all done! Other than the "Ruby Slippers", the only other WIZARD OF OZ related item that I ended up getting was one of the cheapie, animatronic full-sized "Wicked Witches" that they usually sell around Halloween time. (I got it on a Clearance Sale after Halloween a couple of years ago for $50 bucks, so for that price, I'm overall pretty happy with it. DEFINITELY not a 'screen-accurate' representation at all.) :D

Like I said man, can't wait to see how you progress with this. :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I didn't realize that you had the "Witch" hat? That should make for a pretty cool display when you're all done! Other than the "Ruby Slippers", the only other WIZARD OF OZ related item that I ended up getting was one of the cheapie, animatronic full-sized "Wicked Witches" that they usually sell around Halloween time. (I got it on a Clearance Sale after Halloween a couple of years ago for $50 bucks, so for that price, I'm overall pretty happy with it. DEFINITELY not a 'screen-accurate' representation at all.) :D
Like I said man, can't wait to see how you progress with this. :)

Accurate or not, that witch display looks great! I said it before and say it again - your prop room turned out great

Here's a pic of the hat I made:

pic14.jpg

"making of" thread:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=253203

pic14.jpg

I first considered doing this prop with a "new like" look as it is seen in the movie but then decided it would be more challenging to do it as it is today (scratched and rusted)
The "pipes" are now ready. First stage of the "aging" process;

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg pic5.jpg

Love it! You've inspired me to start on some Wizard of Oz props I've been meaning to get to. Awesome work!

Love it! You've inspired me to start on some Wizard of Oz props I've been meaning to get to. Awesome work!

Thank you chris for your kind words. Glad I've somehow inspired you to start working on some Oz props. What's on your mind? The witch hat? The broom? The rubby slippers? If you go for the slippers, you'll need a lot of time and a lot of patience (the rubby slippers are so far the prop that I've spent more time with... But it's a great prop ! )

That's really nice! I should watch Oz again, I didn't even remember this prop, it must be 20 years since I've seen the movie.

It turned out perfectly! Wow! How are you going to display it? Would love to see how you might use it. Thanks so much for sharing your progress. It's so unique!

Thank you very much for all your kind comments, gentlemen.
Haven't figured out yet how I'm going to display it (it's a bit big and I'm running out of space in my prop room :D )
To complete the set I now really have to start working on the broom ... I hope

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back