GOOD LORD...I Just watched the Star Wars Holiday Special for the first time

p.s. Happy Life Day. :lol

Darn it! I was reading through the whole thread before posting that.

Actually you can eventually forget the show, but it takes a very long time. I saw it on tv when I was young and I only remember brief flashes of it. So give it 35 years or so and you will be ok.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

When did this come out? 78? Somewhere around that time? I was about 12 years old and the only two things I cared about was Star Wars and KISS. To me those were the two best things in the entire world!! Then the Holiday Special came out, then KISS Meets the Phantom came out. Since I was THE Star Wars/KISS guy at my school, my life was ruined......I have never recovered.........

When did this come out? 78? Somewhere around that time? I was about 12 years old and the only two things I cared about was Star Wars and KISS. To me those were the two best things in the entire world!! Then the Holiday Special came out, then KISS Meets the Phantom came out. Since I was THE Star Wars/KISS guy at my school, my life was ruined......I have never recovered.........

I think we were separated at birth. Star Wars and KISS were my 2 favorite things in life then too(although I was quite a bit younger at the time) and those 2 specials were indeed the most horrific events that could have happened to either franchise.

Must have been a late seventies guy thing...Star Wars and KISS were huge to me as well. KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park, holy crap was that awful. I no longer thought Ace Frehley was cool after that.

Last edited:
I've seen most of it thanks to a copy on disc a friend lent me years ago. It actually crapped out around the Bea Arthur bit so I invested all that time to not even see the whole thing. I've repressed most of the memory of the thing, but part of me still wants to see the rest of it given how much I'd previously sat through. So rough though.

Seen it once ten years ago. That's enough. We were supposed to have a drinking game.. but when we got around to watch it there were kids present.

I still wonder if it is better if you watch it when drunk ... but I don't want to try to find that out for myself.

I saw it as a kid and, as a kid, I LOVED it. To me it was more Luke, more Han, more Leia and Chewbacca- plus a Star Wars cartoon !!

But I was 4 years old in 78. I was the target audience.

For me, I grew up in the era of the Ewok Adventure films, and as bad as those were, they didn't dissuade me from my love of Star Wars. It was really the prequels that did that (although I got a taste of what was to come when Greedo shot first...)

God the Ewok films were pretty bad too...

The prequels were all about expectation, anticipation. It had been 25 years. NEW SW films were coming out. The Ben/Darth fight was on the horizon...

Then Jake Lloyd hits the screen. And midichlorians. And dialogue like "What is he - brain dead...!?".

And we were hosed.

It taught me to never EVER get my hopes up for quality in a film ever again. And it allowed me to begin to realize that GL is not as creatively talented as we thought he was.

God the Ewok films were pretty bad too...

The prequels were all about expectation, anticipation. It had been 25 years. NEW SW films were coming out. The Ben/Darth fight was on the horizon...

Then Jake Lloyd hits the screen. And midichlorians. And dialogue like "What is he - brain dead...!?".

And we were hosed.

It taught me to never EVER get my hopes up for quality in a film ever again. And it allowed me to begin to realize that GL is not as creatively talented as we thought he was.

Yup. Or at least not quiet the creative monolithic genius we though him to be -- he had a LOT of help and a LOT of luck.

Yup. Or at least not quiet the creative monolithic genius we though him to be -- he had a LOT of help and a LOT of luck.

I think he thrived off of the people who were around him at the time. Especially, during ESB. On his own, I think he is over-rated, and a bit of an egomaniac.

I think he thrived off of the people who were around him at the time. Especially, during ESB. On his own, I think he is over-rated, and a bit of an egomaniac.

I don't know that I'd say he's an egomaniac, but I think that, left unchecked, his ideas function in a range between "brilliant" and "godawful."

I figured hey, this looks like something for me and the kids to watch today. I made it twenty minutes into it before I realized the kids had left. I think I was hypnotized by the awefullness. I quickly found the Christmas Story marathon.

When a man's sat down to watch the Holiday Special, he's given a pistol with a single shot. After he's done watching that show, that pistol starts to look real friendly.

Hahahahaha I almost just spit ice cream all over my ipad! (Yes, ice cream for breakfast, because it's Christmas!)

I feel like I watched it on youtube maybe, if anyone wants to roll the dice. It's astonishingly bad, but definitely gave me a mildly pleasant crack like hit of 70s nostalgia, even if for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back