STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Sooner than you think ;)
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Oh man, I just noticed that the second episode after the break is called "Idiot's Array"! I think i know where that one's going! :D

I don't like Yoda being in this. They already muddied the water with the whole "last of the Jedi will you be" thing with Starkiller in TFU2. Now Yoda is in contact with half the surviving Jedi!.

I don't like Yoda being in this. They already muddied the water with the whole "last of the Jedi will you be" thing with Starkiller in TFU2. Now Yoda is in contact with half the surviving Jedi!.

I think when it comes to Yoda, everyone is pretty much dead to him anyways. He's not the kind of character who cares about the well being of others after all.

I think when it comes to Yoda, everyone is pretty much dead to him anyways. He's not the kind of character who cares about the well being of others after all.
I'm not challenging you but what makes you think that? I'm just curious because I kind of feel that way too though I'm not sure why he would be that way other than to totally detach himself from the physical world.

I never got that vibe from him, not even in the Prequels, where everyone had the personality of drywall. In Clone Wars he even took time to tell Thire, Jek, and Hevy that they're more than just meat-droids, that even though they have the same face, they're unique individuals in the Force, and that they should be aware of their own special strengths and gifts. He worried about Anakin's state of mind (and I still have no idea why no one thought to give a jacket to a kid who'd grown up on a hot desert), worried that training someone so troubled would be problematic... He was pretty much always concerned with the well-being of others.

At the same time, I don't know how much he'd be doing to draw attention to himself there on Dagobah.

--Jonah

I'm not challenging you but what makes you think that? I'm just curious because I kind of feel that way too though I'm not sure why he would be that way other than to totally detach himself from the physical world.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe it was that scene where Anakin talks about the potential death of someone who is obviously very close to him. Keep in mind, Anakin doesn't say who this person is or how this person dies. This person could be murdered or die in a horrible accident. It's obvious that it's not from old age since Anakin brings up the words PAIN AND SUFFERING. Yoda's diagnosis?

Yoda: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not.

So according to Yoda, pain and suffering are things that don't matter as long as you die in the end. Which by the way should be a thing to be rejoiced! Surely Yoda sensing all the death and suffering from all the Jedi during the Purge would change Yoda's outlook on how precious and vulnerable life is, right?

Yoda: Received a coded signal we have.
Organa: It requests all Jedi to return to the temple. Says the war is over.
Obi-Wan: Well than we must go back. If there are any stragglers they will fall into the trap and be killed.
Yoda: Suggest dismantling the coded signal, do you?

Yoda knew about this signal and didn't think to do anything about it? Why does Yoda need to be told that a trap laid by the Empire with the intent to murder more Jedi is something that's bad? What did Yoda think the Empire was going to do when Jedi showed up at the temple? Why is Yoda so passive about a galactic wide hunt of his own people?

Mm. This is because the Prequels were badly written. :unsure Basically, George would have us believe Anakin went to the Dark Side because the Jedi were dicks to him. *sigh* Very deep.

--Jonah

Mm. This is because the Prequels were badly written. :unsure Basically, George would have us believe Anakin went to the Dark Side because the Jedi were dicks to him. *sigh* Very deep.

--Jonah

Well, I would argue it was far more nuanced then that. Although his eventual turn does seem abrupt, a thorough watching of the PT, especially 2 and 3, there are a lot of moments where Anakin reaches out to the world around him and many people in his life fail him, even his wife. Only Palpatine was a constant source of support and security. We can knock GL for lots of things, and Lord knows there is way too much of that on any given forum that it's getting seriously old, but he did a pretty good job with this aspect of the story. Now Anakin and Padme's romance, that was thin at best.

That's kind of what I mean, though. His motivations were contrived. Originally, he just turned his back on his life as Anakin when he went Dark Side -- Padmé was still alive and (unbeknownst to him) pregnant. He was a hero of the Clone Wars and a powerful Jedi. But then the Prequels happened. Just throw out the mom-dying-Padmé-dying-premonition-dreams-forbidden-love stuff. He's not supposed to be a central focus anyway, but his fall should be more motivated by watching people die in a messy series of wars that can ultimately be traced back to squabbling politicians with opposing viewpoints. I keep pointing to his best motivation for going Dark Side being what he was talking about with Padmé in the meadow on Naboo:

ANAKIN: I don't think the system works.
PADME: How would you have it work?
ANAKIN: We need a system where the politicians sit down and discuss the problems, agree what's in the best interests of all the people, and then do it.
PADME: That is exactly what we do. The trouble is that people don't always agree. In fact, they hardly ever do.
ANAKIN: Then they should be made to.
PADME: By whom? Who's going to make them?
ANAKIN: I don't know. Someone.
PADME: You?
ANAKIN: Of course not me.
PADME: But someone.
ANAKIN: Someone wise.
PADME: That sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me.
ANAKIN: Well, if it works...

Then he plays it off like he was kidding, but that's a really good look into his thinking. In my rewrites of the Prequels, which spread them back out over six films, Episodes V and VI have Anakin supporting Palpatine's move toward Empire for this reason, creating some tense moments between him and his wife, and him and his friend Obi-Wan, eventually cementing his certitude that he's in the right and they must be made to see.

Part of the reason I don't have him getting so bent out of shape over his mother dying is because I fix the timeline. He's in his late teens/early twenties when he leaves Tatooine with Obi-Wan, around 30 when he marries Padmé, and in his early 40s when he goes Dark Side and the twins are born. And all along the way he was much more stable. So yeah it hurts, and a simmering hatred of slavery will be in the back of his mind, and the fact that no one's done anything about it, going back to that conversation, above. He wants to be more powerful -- in the Force, in influence, and in action -- to be able to Get Stuff Done™. We don't know at this time, but Palpatine's offered him that option. But no going off the rails as in the actual films. That's what I mean by badly written. 1) We're not supposed to know, at the end of the Prequels, that Anakin is Vader. Therefore, 2) we don't need to be shown reasons for him Turning Evil. Letting it happen subtly in the background eliminates the call for his peers to be blatant jerks to his face, alienating him and otherwise causing him to angst his way to the Sith Lord's creepy white van.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
That new episode was great, but really dark. It's too bad about Sabine though, I thought she would have put up a better fight. I really like her character design and was making the helmet and everything.

15523166713_bd277ec2bf_b.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know. Maybe it was that scene where Anakin talks about the potential death of someone who is obviously very close to him. Keep in mind, Anakin doesn't say who this person is or how this person dies. This person could be murdered or die in a horrible accident. It's obvious that it's not from old age since Anakin brings up the words PAIN AND SUFFERING. Yoda's diagnosis?

Yoda: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not.

Yoda is obviously just short of an axe murderer! C'mon he was obviously talking about dealing with loss and not letting go after someone has died.

Yoda: Received a coded signal we have.
Organa: It requests all Jedi to return to the temple. Says the war is over.
Obi-Wan: Well than we must go back. If there are any stragglers they will fall into the trap and be killed.
Yoda: Suggest dismantling the coded signal, do you?

Yoda knew about this signal and didn't think to do anything about it? Why does Yoda need to be told that a trap laid by the Empire with the intent to murder more Jedi is something that's bad? What did Yoda think the Empire was going to do when Jedi showed up at the temple? Why is Yoda so passive about a galactic wide hunt of his own people?

No Yoda was asking "Hey you sure you want to risk that?" He is obviously pretty sure of what happened and that not many Jedi survived. You're creating scenarios in your head that the writers didn't intend.

Although his eventual turn does seem abrupt, a thorough watching of the PT, especially 2 and 3, there are a lot of moments where Anakin reaches out to the world around him and many people in his life fail him, even his wife.

How does Padme fail Anakin? He brings up that she'll die of child birth, and she does her best to assure him that it won't happen. I hope you're not implying that she should have gotten an abortion just so he could feel better. And it's not like she hasn't been there for him when he did reach out. When he openly admits to her that he slaughtered women and children, she was there for him, saying that to be angry was to be human. Should she have told him that killing was wrong and wasn't in his nature? Well, it didn't work out when she did it in Episode III. I think she did her part.

How does Padme fail Anakin? He brings up that she'll die of child birth, and she does her best to assure him that it won't happen. I hope you're not implying that she should have gotten an abortion just so he could feel better. And it's not like she hasn't been there for him when he did reach out. When he openly admits to her that he slaughtered women and children, she was there for him, saying that to be angry was to be human. Should she have told him that killing was wrong and wasn't in his nature? Well, it didn't work out when she did it in Episode III. I think she did her part.

No, she loves him but loves her job just as much if not more. She spends most of the films and certainly the Clone Wars animated series ignoring what is troubling him and ultimately is maneuvered by Palpatine to help facilitate his fall.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back