Book Review: Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy

tuskentrooper

Sr Member
10474727_10153234082714552_5258914575489190452_n.jpg

I’m convinced that one of the things that gives Star Wars such long-lasting appeal is the rich tapestry of costumes and props that go into the production of each film. Honestly, how many times have you watched Star Wars (and we’ve all watched it a lot) and discovered something new?

“Hey, look! That Stormtrooper has no stripes on his cheeks!” or “Wow, Luke has Wilrow Hood’s ice-cream maker with him on Dagobah!” Oh, you’re a hardcore fan and you knew these little factoids already? Well, get ready to learn a whole lot MORE thanks to the amazing new publication from Chronicle Books, Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy.

As a 501st Legion member (and Dark Side fan), I was cautiously optimistic about how much “new” content we’d be getting in Brandon Alinger’s first foray into publishing, especially after seeing nothing but the understated Princess Leia cover on Amazon since the book’s announcement earlier this year. I’m happy to say that this is one book you cannot judge by its cover.

IMG_1226.JPG

Alinger, founder of The Replica Prop Forum and current COO of The Prop Store in Los Angeles, is no novice when it comes to Star Wars artifacts. With the heart of a true aficionado, the author focuses on the little things and avoids wasting precious pages on more commonly-known information that is only of interest to “average” fans. Alinger confidently sheds light on misconceptions like the inaccuracy of mix-and-match costumes that have been touring on display in recent years and provides details right down to the names of contractors who manufactured the costumes we still love some 37 years later.

IMG_1228.JPG

But let’s be honest: What you really want to see is the new photography from Joseph McDonald...and LOTS of it. McDonald’s expertise in working with collectors and museums is evident through clear imagery of items rarely pulled from the Lucasfilm Archives. From close-ups of original trilogy greeblies to the hero costumes of Return of the Jedi’s deleted sandstorm scene, the photos will have you staring intently for previously undiscovered details. In combination with other never-before-seen vintage photographs, I believe it’s safe to say that this book will change what we thought we knew about the original trilogy, even to the point of some updated costuming standards for groups like the 501st and Rebel Legion.

IMG_1229.JPG

This 226-page large-format hardcover will undoubtedly serve as significant reference material for costume and prop builders for years to come. Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy is a truly satiating read abundant with enough new photography and clearly written historical accounts of film production to make us wonder just how much more magic lies undisturbed in the Lucasfilm Archives. Let’s hope Brandon Alinger makes another visit soon because this book is pure Star Wars costuming gold.

P.S. There’s also a Slave Leia centerfold. Seriously.

Enter to win a FREE copy from the RPF through October 9, 2014 here: http://bit.ly/1xLDqO1

Buy the book on sale at Amazon here: http://amzn.to/1uEcoH6

10474727_10153234082714552_5258914575489190452_n.jpg

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Please tell me they have some hood details on the lukee rotj costume! I cannot wait to get my copy.

Please tell me they have some hood details on the lukee rotj costume! I cannot wait to get my copy.

Six pages for Jedi Luke, with one large new full-length frontal photo of the robe over the black outfit.

- - - Updated - - -

I've noticed there are 2 versions of this book.

Hardcover 232 pages
http://www.bookdepository.com/Star-Wars-Costumes-Brandon-Alinger/9781452138053

Mixed Media 226 pages
http://www.bookdepository.com/Star-Wars-Costumes-Brandon-Alinger/9781783293667

Anyone know the differances are?

Interesting. The forwards are included in my 226-page hardcover edition with jacket so I have no idea what that could mean. Maybe it's a typo?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back