Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Yes the studio's derive an economic benefit but again, what of the fact that being inclusive is a gateway for new cultures to be a part of the story. You need to broaden your consideration. If a Chinese boy watches a film with no one like him its an alienating experience. Let's make it more welcoming.

Three cheers to that. The world is a big place. Nothing wrong with popular films reflecting, in a small way, some of that cultural complexity, rather than some small corner.

Well you can Donnie Yen he lacks originality.

@Bryancd Because I dont believe in diversity for the sake of diversity. If I were a chinese actor, I wouldnt want to play the stereotypical chinese character. I would want to play something else that isnt relegated to a stereotype, which all it does is perpetuate it. The thing that is annoying, is that you know damn well why they include chinese actors, and chinese locations, and added chinese paraphenalia(michael bay, transformers comes to mind). The studios are looking for that money. That doesnt bother you?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this. But Im also not a creative person working on a franchise with a team of other people to come up with something slightly new than "blind chinese guy fights well". That trope runs from games, to movies, to TV, just thought they could come up with something better is all Im saying.

@Bryancd Because I dont believe in diversity for the sake of diversity. If I were a chinese actor, I wouldnt want to play the stereotypical chinese character. I would want to play something else that isnt relegated to a stereotype, which all it does is perpetuate it. The thing that is annoying, is that you know damn well why they include chinese actors, and chinese locations, and added chinese paraphenalia(michael bay, transformers comes to mind). The studios are looking for that money. That doesnt bother you?

I'm Asian.
If money from asia means we get more Marvel and Star Wars movies I'm fine with that.

And why would it bother anyone?

We can throw any American action star into multiple film projects and not once mention pandering. See how that works?

Are they in American action movies? In Jet Li's last chinese movie, I didnt see any pandering to the United States at all. Maybe Im not understanding what youre saying.
@DINVADER Ok, Ill say that. The chinese guy they brought in lacks originality/creativity.
@MrSouthpaw It bothers me because they are compromising integrity by pandering to China. Everyone knows the state of China and their economy, hell, China is buying up all kinds of entertainment, they own Legendary, and now AMC Theaters. All that money you mean from "Asia" means that it works, and things are just going to be more targeted to that audience. What happens when you feed a stray animal? They keep coming back, and what do they want each time? More. Its the same thing, and I personally dont like it. I dont think anyone should pander to anyone. You make your movie the way you want to, if everyone likes it, great, if they dont, **** off. Dont have these "subtle" things to try and be like a "hey you should see this cause Im drinking a chinese soda and using a chinese bank", or "we are adding extra scenes featuring chinese actors, hey come look". I think its lame.

Yes the studio's derive an economic benefit but again, what of the fact that being inclusive is a gateway for new cultures to be a part of the story. You need to broaden your consideration. If a Chinese boy watches a film with no one like him its an alienating experience. Let's make it more welcoming.

I really doubt that kids think that anyway. Im not a parent, but I didnt think that when I was a kid. What if there is nothing but aliens in a movie, how is the kid supposed to relate to that? When I watched Godzilla movies as a kid, I didnt think for a second "oh man I dont like this cause nobody looks like me". All I wanted to do was be Godzilla and pretend to smash things.

But back on topic, I hope this movie is good. :lol

@MrSouthpaw It bothers me because they are compromising integrity by pandering to China. Everyone knows the state of China and their economy, hell, China is buying up all kinds of entertainment, they own Legendary, and now AMC Theaters. All that money you mean from "Asia" means that it works, and things are just going to be more targeted to that audience. What happens when you feed a stray animal? They keep coming back, and what do they want each time? More. Its the same thing, and I personally dont like it. I dont think anyone should pander to anyone. You make your movie the way you want to, if everyone likes it, great, if they dont, **** off. Dont have these "subtle" things to try and be like a "hey you should see this cause Im drinking a chinese soda and using a chinese bank", or "we are adding extra scenes featuring chinese actors, hey come look". I think its lame.

I don't really see any pandering. I see companies appealing to Asia. Is there something wrong with Asian money that US companies shouldn't want to earn some of it?

Equating or comparing Asians to animals is discriminatory....period. Actually, I would use a stronger word than that but I don't really know how the mods would react to it.

I really doubt that kids think that anyway. Im not a parent, but I didnt think that when I was a kid. What if there is nothing but aliens in a movie, how is the kid supposed to relate to that? When I watched Godzilla movies as a kid, I didnt think for a second "oh man I dont like this cause nobody looks like me". All I wanted to do was be Godzilla and pretend to smash things.

But back on topic, I hope this movie is good. :lol

I think that way now, and I am in no way a kid. Check out Big Game.As an adult, its not a great film, but watching it, I knew the 10year old me would have worshipped that film.

If you can identify with a character on any base level your investment in that story increases.

Lets be right, a teenage white, western looking Luke on a do nothing planet is suddenly drawn in to a galactic battle, who in the west can't identify with that, who can't dream of being that guy?

When you have a world where ethnicity isn't an issue why not chuck in a few different skin tones. I'm not even talking about hitting different markets, if you can get a few kids, from wherever, to invest in the story and mythology and encourage them to dream, you've done a god job.

15107429_697722993723290_5160805217022865911_n.jpg

Last question but how are they compromising integrity if the characters ethnicity isn't in and of itself important?
Because some people don't want to see past their noses that the world isn't all lily white. 'Merica.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really??? When you think about it all this arguing about diversity in a Star Wars movie is pretty pointless. After all there are literally dozens of different species of aliens in the SW universe and Rogue One seems to have really pushed the boat out by including some new ones to an already bulging selection. And yet it appears people have a slight problem with two Asian actors being added into the cast?
Variety and character.That's why sci fi series like Star Wars (and Star Trek) are so popular with many people across the world , we generally enjoy a broad church of humanity.

Maybe the initial decision to include these Chinese actors was motivated by trying to appeal to the Chinese market; I really don't know or care, all that matters to me is the end result. I haven't seen any indication this has compromised the creative process of giving us a great Star Wars film.
They had a blank canvas to create an ensemble cast, so I would expect and hope that it has diversity, to cover a wider range of characters for variety. So far this movie is shaping up very well to me, and I have no complaints about the choice of characters based on what I've seen.

It's unfortunate that the inclusion of non white male main characters is something that people have reason to question, and that goes for TFA as well. Regardless of what influenced these decisions, I'll judge it for the end result, and I'm happy to see the diversity regardless.

This discussion is kind of ridiculous... they've said that they want to show the diversity of the rebellion. Yeah, it probably has a little to do with marketing but, either way, it's a complete nonissue, I don't even know why it's come up. They're people. They're characters.

while i do agree that movies suffer due to hollywood bending over backwards to get them into china, i don't see that happening here.
ID42, hell yes.
Michael Bay's transformers/Turtles movies? You bet.

Here? not so much. this is just the first(?) time we happen to see asians in a star wars movie.
Although the asian guy doing martial arts moves in a star wars movie with what looks like a bo staff is kind of weird .

I'd be more annoyed about other policies that kathleen kennedy mentioned recently, is trying to force into action....but that's best not brought up either cause it gets people in a snit.

Yes people get peeved reading narrow minded comments arguing against studios making an effort to be inclusive of women and minorities behind and in front of the camera.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back