Watching Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow for 1st time

I liked it but wantd to shove my fist down Paltrows throat.
I thought the way they tried to get the point across about those metal things she had by having her ham handedly look down at them every 2 seconds of every scene she and Sky captain werew in the plane was retarded and as a "strong woman" type she blew and needed to be killed off early. She was nothing but a predicatable trouble making moron and if Cap had any sence he would have done a barrel roll in the plane and opened the canopy when he was upside down and dumped her in the ocean.
Other than that I dug it enough to by it on DVD

Franky1.jpg

Franky rocks. A statue, HT figure would be great!

They did have a Christmas tree ornament made of the gun. I have it, but it's packed away.

I thought it was a great looking film with a story that was amateurish and bland. I agree that the robots are cool. Loved the ray guns. It's a live action tribute to those awesome Max Fleischer Superman cartoons from the 40's.

I liked the movie as well.

Trying to figure out what to call the style of the film... it is 30's-40's futuristic... but I dont know what that is really called.

I saw it at the movies and really enjoyed. Someone complained about G. Paltrow and then I wished someone else was in the part but "oh, well".
Will Murray wrote a pulp style story of the Sky Captain for Starlog when the movie came out. Did anyone read it? How was it?
I would like to see a copy of that.

Wolf

I just starting watching this and had to turn it off. The lighting is horrible in it. I love the 30's and 40's serials and cartoons but could not stand this train-wreck. The volume seemed to bounce all over too (from low to high). I was really hoping this was good. I actually got a headache watching it. Is it really this bad or am I just not giving it a chance?

Honestly I had to split up watching this film on 4 different occasions. It was dreadful. I can watch a whole film fine all the way through, but this one was one of the most dreadful watches ever. I don't normally just turn off movies part way through. I have to see the whole thing. I think I may have ever shut off 2 movies in my life that were too too painful. this one should have been one of them, but the trailers looked like it could be interesting so I gave it the chance. I will never watch that film again.

I just watched this last night for the first time and I thought it was a fun movie. The lighting reminded me of the old 30's-40's Film Noir style, which I love. Sure the CGI pales with what we see today but I didn't mind that too much. The whole movie reminded me of the old film serials as well and that was the reason why I liked it so much.

I found the lighting absolutely unwatchable. It gave me a headache too.

Good lord, they should have at least given the DVD menu an option to tone it down a bit.

But then I have the same complaints about the audio in lots of movies these days. They get so busy clubbing the viewer over the head with the intensity of everything that they forget to make the dialogue understandable and the whole experience tolerable.

It's a film I can watch over and over again. I love the style and everything about it. How about you have another go at it with a more open mind?

I liked the movie as well.

Trying to figure out what to call the style of the film... it is 30's-40's futuristic... but I dont know what that is really called.

I guess you could call it pulp, I think. It's definitely done in sort of the style of the old serials from the 30s & 40s and reminiscent of the cheap dime novels of the time as well.

I was so damn excited about that movie, and when I watched it, I felt very, very cheated on, because what I expected was a gourmet dinner and I was served a bland tv menu.

But that was before I had seen a lot of the old serials. And they felt exciting and dramatic, sometimes awkward, because I did not expect "depth" in the stories. And since Sky Captain was a "new" movie I expected depth and character development. I think that is where I am at fault.

That being said, if we watch Sky Captain again, and accept the fact that it is an hommage to the serials with all their limitations and focussing on action and not on characters, then I have to say that it is PERFECT in recapturing and actually emulates them to the T, with all their highs and lows.

I think I´ll have to dig it out again ...

I loved the previews for it.

saw it in the theatre...felt too long, drawn out but I love the look.

Just got a used blu-ray of it for $ 3.99

I think a big part of the problem was letting that guy
direct it. He should have been an advisor or associate producer,
not a director.

His brother was the lead art department and did a great job though.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back