Doctor Who opinions

I could've done without the Doctor using his regenerative "power" and I didn't care much for Sonic sunglasses... but, overall I still thought it was an exceptional episode. This two-parter really reminded me a lot of some old Tom Baker episodes.

If this is a hint of what's to come this season, I think we're in for a heck of a fun ride.

The bit with the tea annoyed me, its seemed like basically a big FU to all the people complaining about Moffats plot holes.

The only things I liked was how it looked,....nice filming & colouring,.....the return of the original Daleks

Thats it

J

The Tom Baker cameo thing was pretty cool, I thought. The sunglasses don't bother me, I suspect they are purely temporary. The BBC can't make merchandising money off sunglasses someone else owns. There will be another sonic. They had to give him a new/redesigned one in some way. I predict by seasons end he will have one with a red light in it.

I'm enjoying the show. Putting Clara in the Dalek was intentional. Nobody forgot anything. It was her introduction to the show.

But I am loving what they are doing with Missy. She made both episodes for me. So much fun. Michelle Gomez is just chewing up the scenery.

I am ready for a fresh face though, so I hope the new companion is cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should just bring Baker back since he said in that one episode the Dr will be revisiting some old faces. My folks have been watching since the 9th doctor and they have said the stories are really hit and miss anymore. They used to watch them while they were on but now they just DVR them and watch a few at a time.

Last edited:
That's what I'm doing. I haven't seen either episode yet, but my enthusiasm for the show in Moffat's tenure has been much diminished.

It's weird. I find it almost impossible to even remember the overarching stories for Moffat's tenure, or, for that matter, the individual episodes. I remember some here and there, but fewer and fewer stand out. And yet, I liked the general thrust of the last season...right up until Clara decided to stay on another season and Moffat said "No problem! Who gives a **** about story integrity anyway?"

By contrast, Moffat's approach to Sherlock is much, much better. I think a lot of that is because (A) he's managing fewer hours/episodes in a season, and (B) he's forced to work within the constraints of the real world. He can't just sonic his way out of a story or say "Wibbly wobly timey wimey, the rules I've built in this universe don't matter to me!"

I'm gonna give this season a chance, but I don't know how long I'll hang on for. It's a shame, because I LOVE Capaldi as the Doctor, and I think he's got such amazing potential...but Moffat's getting in the way.

I'm pretty sure the dressed down appearance was because he spent 3 weeks partying. When Tennant showed up on the Marie Antoinette after being at a party (his wedding I think to the Virgin Queen) he was all ruffled up and wearing his tie on his forehead. It looks like he's back to the normal cleaned up look next week.

I did love everything about the episode, but I REALLY hope they aren't doing "Sonic Glasses"

He thought he was there only for a day, he was completely oblivious to the time that he actually spent there. And I think you're referring to "The Girl In The Fireplace" and if that's the case, he wore his tie on his forehead to make it seem like he was drunk to lure the clockwork droids into a false sense of security, he dressed his proper way right afterwards.

I'm gonna give this season a chance, but I don't know how long I'll hang on for. It's a shame, because I LOVE Capaldi as the Doctor, and I think he's got such amazing potential...but Moffat's getting in the way.
Bingo. It's almost as if Moffat doesn't want the fans to like Capaldi, so he's deliberately not giving him much to do. Fortunately, Capaldi is finding little moments here and there to show what he can do, and subvert Moffat's sabotage in the process.

I'm confused, the last time the Darleks were in an episode weren't they all killed as well as Davros ? Was there any form of an explanation on how they all survived again ?

Bingo. It's almost as if Moffat doesn't want the fans to like Capaldi, so he's deliberately not giving him much to do. Fortunately, Capaldi is finding little moments here and there to show what he can do, and subvert Moffat's sabotage in the process.

Moffat has faced pushback from actors in the past. This piece from NPR about Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock nicely illustrates it. The most relevant quote is this:

"Immediately as an actor I wanted to understand who [Sherlock] was, what his parents were," he adds. "These were questions I asked ... I wanted to understand. [Moffat] was just talking about, 'Can't this guy just be good at what he does and he's your age and he looks like you and he's doing his thing?' And I went, 'No, no Steven, there's a process I've got to go through. I've got to understand how I became this person.' "

He didn't necessarily expect those answers to be revealed to viewers, Cumberbatch points out now. "I can't just sort of float onto set with a whole bunch of mannerisms and hope it sort of comes off," he says. "You have to ground it in some sort of reality, otherwise you get found out as things sort of evolve."

One other thing Cumberbatch insisted on was creating a weakness for Sherlock — his inability to connect with people — another idea Moffatt resisted.

"And [Moffat] said, 'But can't he just be really good? Can't he just be good at it? Why does he have to have flaw or an Achilles heel?'" the actor says. "Because I said, you know, 'Where's his weakness?' Because no human being doesn't [have one]. And however much [Sherlock] tries to convince himself he's not human, he is."

THE ACTORS UNDERSTAND HOW TO WRITE THE STORY BETTER THAN THE SHOWRUNNER.

I think of it like this. Moffat is the ultimate fanboy, and he's a fanboy with talent. But that's a double-edged blade there. On the one hand, he's deeply knowledgable about the history and lore of the universe in which he's operating (at least in Doctor Who). But on the other, he has these...impulses to create characters that are just total wish fulfillment. Moffat's good at coming up with interesting concepts, and he can hit emotional beats really well, but he doesn't seem that interested in doing the work necessary to ground any of this stuff, so you end up with season after season of unearned payoffs. That's where he's a fanboy: because he just wants the Doctor or his other characters (e.g. Clara) to "win" so badly that he doesn't understand the SHOW loses whenever he indulges his impulse to cheat an ending.

To me, the quintessential example of this was the Christmas episode of last season. As a standalone story, it's actually pretty entertaining and good. I loved Faye Marsay's character, too. She felt real. She felt honest. I wanted to see more of her because she didn't feel like Moffat just made a list of "Things I'd have liked in a girlfriend at age 15." Great episode, great characters.

HOWEVER, the episode also totally undermined Clara's entire season arc in the 13 episodes that led up to it. Trying to decide whether she wanted to be with the Doctor, loving Danny, losing Danny, and its ultimate impact on her, all of that was actually really nice. I didn't mind that the show focused on her last season if it did so because it was getting rid of her, and that was the direction of the entire season.

And then in literally the last scene of the Christmas episode, Moffat just hand-waives it away because he just wants the Doctor to win. It goes back to that impulse, that "Can't he just be really good at it?" impulse. No, you twit. He can't be because that's rubbish storytelling.

I'm confused, the last time the Darleks were in an episode weren't they all killed as well as Davros ? Was there any form of an explanation on how they all survived again ?

Nothing ever dies in Doctor Who, just like nothing ever dies in comics. It's really stupid.

I think of it like this. Moffat is the ultimate fanboy, and he's a fanboy with talent. But that's a double-edged blade there. On the one hand, he's deeply knowledgable about the history and lore of the universe in which he's operating (at least in Doctor Who). But on the other, he has these...impulses to create characters that are just total wish fulfillment. Moffat's good at coming up with interesting concepts, and he can hit emotional beats really well, but he doesn't seem that interested in doing the work necessary to ground any of this stuff, so you end up with season after season of unearned payoffs. That's where he's a fanboy: because he just wants the Doctor or his other characters (e.g. Clara) to "win" so badly that he doesn't understand the SHOW loses whenever he indulges his impulse to cheat an ending...
Well stated, as was the rest of your post. And I agree--Moffat comes off as being the most talented fanboy for the job. He doesn't seem to think his storylines through beyond the current season/series, and he loves creating character moments that might be memorable but are ultimately meaningless.

So, speaking of the Daleks...

I thought it was cool to see the old style daleks scooting around the classic Skaro environment. But this has me wondering, is there some sort of caste system in the Dalek culture? What role do they fulfill?

For that matter, I noticed that there were none of the new-paradigm technicolor daleks in these episodes. Have we even seen them since Asylum of the Daleks? In that episode, they were presiding over a "Dalek Parliament." On Skaro, we have the old red Dalek Supreme bossing around a mix of old and new daleks, while keeping Davros comfy but out of sight. Is this evidence that there are 2 factions of daleks again?

I liked that we got an explanation for Missy's survival - even though we all know the Master always returns. It would've also been nice for a slight explanation on the Davros/Dalek Supreme's escape from the Medusa Cascade.

As shoddy as this storytelling seems sometimes, it does feel consistent with the show's history.

So, nn order to get in Davros' special chair that protects the owner from Dalek weapons, the Doctor threatens Davros, with a Dalek weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, speaking of the Daleks...

I thought it was cool to see the old style daleks scooting around the classic Skaro environment. But this has me wondering, is there some sort of caste system in the Dalek culture? What role do they fulfill?

It would've also been nice for a slight explanation on the Davros/Dalek Supreme's escape from the Medusa Cascade.

As shoddy as this storytelling seems sometimes, it does feel consistent with the show's history.

Dalek Kahn (sp?) tried over and over until he broke through the time lock to rescue Davros. See: the David Tennant years.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back