Doctor Who opinions

I've decided that so long as Moffat is involved, I am no longer watching Doctor Who at all I can't stand what he's done to it and I'm far from being alone.

I suspect I'll give it a go, but I find it harder and harder to muster any excitement about the show with him at the helm. He just...has no ****ing clue how to do long-range planning and is a terrible long-term storyteller.

What do you mean? He brought along River before the show was even his and foreshadowed Matt Smith's entire era in his first episode. I think he's been doing a great job with long term story telling, some could have been done better like series 6, but I think he's doing fine, that said I think he's nearing the end of his era. That being said I can't think of a single person who could have done as well as he did when he started and I can't think of a single person to replace him that would satisfy everyone.

The only thing I would love from the moffat era is a bit more crossover with the past. Simply because it would create a better world. Simple acknowledgement of people like jack harkness would be enough

What do you mean? He brought along River before the show was even his and foreshadowed Matt Smith's entire era in his first episode. I think he's been doing a great job with long term story telling, some could have been done better like series 6, but I think he's doing fine, that said I think he's nearing the end of his era. That being said I can't think of a single person who could have done as well as he did when he started and I can't think of a single person to replace him that would satisfy everyone.

And River was fine in the 2-part library story. Since then? Awful. The weeping angels were fantastic in Blink. Since then? Terrible. He can be a good writer. He's a horrible show runner.

I never thought the weeping angels were all that great to start with and I'm not a big fan of river but I thought he did pretty good with the cracks in the wall, from "The Eleventh Hour" which I think is one of if not the best post regeneration episode to "The Time Of The Doctor" I never expected it to have anything to do with the time lords, and though not entirely different, while I do see a big difference from the RTD era to the Moffat era the one constant thing in the last decade is The Doctor. While each are different from the other as should be expected I don't feel as if the core concept of the show, a time traveler in a blue box who's a bit insane, has ever been done unceremoniously. Why I may not like most of the companions of the Moffat era, with my favorite 11th Doctor episodes being the ones where they are mostly absent I have always thought that they did the main character justice, while the current era as a whole is a bit of a mess I have absolute faith that Steven Moffat knows what he's doing.

My favorite is Peter Davison, but I do like all them with certain episodes. I have a list I made on a document. The Sonic Screwdrivers I like the most comes from the fourth, fifth, eighth from Doctor Who the movie (1996), eleventh, and twelfth. The only costume that the Doctor had that I did not like was from "Planet of the Daleks" (3rd Doctor).

My favorite is Peter Davison, but I do like all them with certain episodes. I have a list I made on a document. The Sonic Screwdrivers I like the most comes from the fourth, fifth, eighth from Doctor Who the movie (1996), eleventh, and twelfth. The only costume that the Doctor had that I did not like was from "Planet of the Daleks" (3rd Doctor).

Really? Sixth Doctor's multicolored monstrosity gets a pass? ;)

It was the eighties, besides even he hated it, he got a blue coat in the audio adventures with big finish.

- - - Updated - - -

Very excited about series 9.

Soooo, that's the Daily Mail, which, I gather, should be taken with not merely a grain of salt but more like a gram. That said, if true, ABOUT BLOODY TIME. She should've left at the end of LAST season when it fit NATURALLY with the story. Her walking away after their hug was perfect, poignant, and made most of the focus on her (instead of the Doctor) during the season worthwhile and meaningful. Bringing her back for more happy-go-lucky adventures...no. Just...no. Now, if she comes back but is mostly going through the motions, faking it, feeling worn down and all of that comes through in the writing and her performance, MAYBE it'll be ok. But I don't trust Moffat to handle it that way.

He's much better on Sherlock where he's telling a far more limited tale, the real-world boundaries of which force him to rein in his "cleverness."

I'm pretty sure that this Clara's last series, yes, and as far as I'm concerned they ruined her story by continuing it after "Death In Heaven" but hopefully the goodbye will at the same quality, though personally I doubt I'll be sad to see her go.

Girl in the Fireplace was by far and away my favorite episode. It was just such a heart wrenching episode that seemed to cut to the core of how hard it must actually be to live as the doctor. Just keep having to suck it up and move on.

I'm pretty sure that this Clara's last series, yes, and as far as I'm concerned they ruined her story by continuing it after "Death In Heaven" but hopefully the goodbye will at the same quality, though personally I doubt I'll be sad to see her go.

Like I said, they could potentially make this last series less upbeat and more of Clara being obviously just...not into it anymore, genuinely damaged from her previous experiences, etc., and I'd be ok with it. But yeah, she should've left at the end of last season. I wish she had.

It's not that I hate Clara, per se. I like her as a character. I like Jenna Coleman's performance. I even liked last season with its overall arc. But it's true that she's pulled focus from the Doctor, and I think just doing the same old thing with her now would really lay bare the fact that Moffat is a terrible show runner for a show of this scope.

He's great with Sherlock, but he's managing about 5 hours of television, as opposed to almost double that length in a typical Who season. Moreover, the Sherlock stories are self-contained and often don't have a huge overarching story running through them. I just don't think he's been particularly good at season arcs, really.

Even though it was just the first part of the story, I think that this series is already a massive improvement and quite possibly has the best first episode as far as I'm concerned.

Well, I thought it was a game of two halves.
I just HATED the first twenty five odd minutes of this.I mean I really loathed it with the kind of deep feeling found only in the most twisted of the Doctors enemies, which I am sorry to say seem to be the writers of this show.
As a reintroduction to the series the opening was simply ridiculous. Somebody must have been snorting a snowdrifts worth of something similarly whitely mindless to try and link all those over the top set pieces together, because they made no sense what so ever and had seemingly little relevance to the actual beginning of the story that COULD have been told,with menace and foreboding. Instead this was just a continious stream of crazy showmanship "Snakes on a Plane" moments the like of which the series should NEVER in a billion years have indulged in, just to reintroduce us to too many things too quickly. And I hated it. It was just pure pantomime Dude. Oh and just because the ACTOR might have been good at football or have played in a band at some point doesn't mean the Doctor should bloody well have too, Dude !!!
However,that said.The last twenty minutes were actually VERY good. I mean time slippingly enjoyable in the traditionally old ways Dr Who used to be. With actually one or two good surprises. But it really felt as if somebody had suddenly just sobered up and actually decided to write a decent Dr Who story. And thats my biggest irritation with all the new series since the first one. Its just so inconsisently written, directed, and acted that its almost impossible to want to watch it and thats becoming increasingly worse with time.

Last edited:
I loved last night's episode. Series 9 seems to be starting out a whole lot stronger than the last series (which was my first full series of new-Who. I still haven't watched all of the series prior to 8)... they really seemed to come out swinging. We get Missy and the Daleks right from the get-go... I didn't expect that (nor did I expect a 'to be continued').

One of the things I miss about the "old-Who" is the multi-part storylines - even if an episode was shorter back then. I liked the Missy set-up last year, but I would love to see a story arc be a little more reaching throughout a season... although, I guess with Missy and Danny Pink we did have some storylines that did do throughout last season.

If The Magician's Apprentice is any indication about series 9, this is going to be a great season.

...and this is quite a weekend for British television. The Doctor last night and Downton Abbey today.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back