Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

The Ops station on Voyager made more sense than on the Enterprise, though I still think it's odd that it's on the bridge at all. It would have made more sense if they had simply called Ops the science station which it really functions as more often than not. Of course, on Voyage, it seemed to overlap with Tuvok's security duties a bit and in at least one episode I've seen Paris do sensor scans from his station. The writers never seemed to really get it straight as to what station does what, I'm just surprised that they never had anybody at security or ops try and actually helm the ship at any point, or have they?

Except it doesn't really do much science. It manages the ship's sensors, but for the most part isn't telling those sensors what to do. Have you read the write-up in the old TNG Technical Manual? But yeah, the various science departments can request sensor time. Tactical and Flight Control can task higher-priority sensor scans. All of that still goes through the Ops programming, and the Ops Manager can manually override the automatics at any point, resolve conflicts, etc. There's more, but I won't transcribe the whole entry unless/until I know whether you're familiar with it.

As for your general assessment of Voyager, I agree. The premise wasn't so much flawed as compromised by not taking it far enough and taking enough risks, instead of making it more like TNG with the backdrop of being far from home. They really should have made it more serial and showing the Voyager looking more damaged as time goes on, systems not running optimally, and taking on a more hodge podge look as they adapt alien systems to the Voyager in order to keep it running. They also should have had more difficulty with communication since I'd imagine that not everybody in the Delta Quadrant utilized the same frequencies as the Alpha as their hailing frequencies. Then there's the matter of the universal translator always working perfectly even though you'd think that its algorithms would be based on Alpha Quadrant languages and would thus have to adapt, theoretically, Delta Quadrant languages that would, presumably, have evolved differently from the Alpha Quadrant.

All of that. All of that and more.

--Jonah

Here's a question I would like answered. Why was Voyager the only ship where the Captain didn't have a center seat on the bridge? Every bridge design leaves little to no doubt as to where the person in charge sits. On Voyager, you have to ask 'which side?'.

I agree. I always thought they should have gone for a revision of the Enterprise-D bridge -- center seat for the Captain, flanking chairs for other senior officers on the bridge. Maybe even, germane to the Ops discussion above, on the starboard side of the bridge, opposite where the Operations Manager (and Second Officer) would have been sitting. Both in the Captain's eyeline, both able to see the viewscreen while being out of the way, and both with ready access to consoles and displays to facilitate their respective roles in maintaining ship and crew at peak efficiency. Plus, change the color palette. For all that people complain the TNG sets looked too much like a hotel, if I'm going to be in space for years, I prefer that to drab, gray bare metal and paneling.

And yes I know that's not really an answer. Just one of the things I referenced above regarding Voyager -- inadequate thought given to the pre-production end of things before rolling it out.

--Jonah

Yeah, sounds hokey but I can buy it, but it still doesn't explain holodeck created food and drinks. Unless they're purely holographic wouldn't that be the same as using replicators, or was the issue with replicators power and not bio-matter because if it's matter then using the holodeck would seem like a great way around using replicator rations since they seem to regularly eat and drink on the holodeck, at least in Tom's pool hall program they do.

I always assumed they used there replicator rations In the holodeck as well

Why does Picard (or anyone) need heart surgery? Can't they just put him in the transporter and have that fix him up when it's reassembling his molecules?

And if you die on an away mission with say a phaser hit, or some sort of foreign contaminate or poison - can't they put your body in the transporter and have the pattern revert to the last time you were alive?

I mean these things dis-assemble and re-assemble human bodies at the molecular level - surely they're programmable...

Why doesn't Captain Picard have a hair transplant? Hehehe...

Because by the 24th century, we've grown past being insecure and vain, supposedly? Or Picard's been through a lot and is now comfortable in his own skin (unlike Patrick Stewart, who was apparently going through a midlife crisis later in the series and into the films, and wanted to be an action hero and get the girl...).

Why does Picard (or anyone) need heart surgery? Can't they just put him in the transporter and have that fix him up when it's reassembling his molecules?

And if you die on an away mission with say a phaser hit, or some sort of foreign contaminate or poison - can't they put your body in the transporter and have the pattern revert to the last time you were alive?

I mean these things dis-assemble and re-assemble human bodies at the molecular level - surely they're programmable...

Well... Mostly it's a matter of dramatic tension. They'd used the transporter for magic fixes in TOS ("The Enemy Within, for example), and by TNG they didn't want it being a magical deus ex machina. A couple still snuck through, like when they used it to "fix" Pulaski's DNA to reverse her accelerated aging, or to beam Keiko's baby out of her and into Kira (seriously? That's the best way you can think of to explain Nana being pregnant?). But we also didn't understand death even as well as we do now, imperfect as that is. I think the trickiest part would be keeping the brain intact. It won't matter if you replace dead heart muscle with live, or oxygen-starved cells with healthy, if the neural network has started to break down. Even though, supposedly, by the 24th century they've completely charted the brain and how it works, and the resuscitation device they tried on Tasha was a "neural stimulator", so we can presume the rest of her was in operable condition by the time they got her to sickbay...

...They also keep forgetting they have biostasis technology.

Here's my persistently unanswered question: Why wasn't Picard court-martialed (or at least an inquest held) following the events of "Q Who?"? *ticks off on fingers* He pissed off a nigh-omnipotent entity, who flung them out to a distant part of the galaxy, years at sustained maximum warp from the nearest Federation facility. He asked Guinan, his only resident expert on that part of the galaxy, what to do, and was told by her "start back now". Momets later, his next log entry starts with the very phrase "despite Guinan's warning", and he decides they're going to stick around for a while and have a look-see. When a Borg ship appears, he again asks her advice, she says "They're called the Borg. Defend yourself, Captain, or they'll destroy you." Again he ignores her, keeps running scans and trying to contact them. Eventually, after they demonstrate being uninterested in talking to them by taking a core sample of the ship and losing eighteen crew in the process, Picard finally decides to fight, and does significant damage to their ship. Does he finish it off? They've already demonstrated they can analyze and adapt to their weapons technology... No. He sends over an away team that discovers -- *gasp!* I think I'm gonna have a heart attack and die from not-surprise -- the ship is regenerating. All Picard's subsequent attacks have no effect and he has to call on Q to save their butts.

So yeah, I think Picard is complicit there at least four times over. :facepalm I have always hated stories that depend on the main characters being idiots. Now, granted one of the things they discover in that episode is that the Neutral Zone outposts they find destroyed half a season earlier were apparently destroyed by the Borg, so there's at least a scout ship already out their way, but they hadn't turned their resources toward this end of the galaxy yet -- until Picard caught their interest.

An unanswerable follow-up to this question is why they devolved the Borg in every subsequent appearance. They started out scary and relentless, and became lamer and lamer and more contradictions showed up. "When they come, they'll come in force. They don't do anything piecemeal." Next incident? One ship. "No individuals" became "It has been decided a human voice will speak for us." "You're nothing to them. They're only interested in your ship, in it's technology" became "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us." and so on.

--Jonah

Speaking of the Borg, why does the Borg seem to always attack in ones or twos instead of en masse? If the Federation, by throwing every last ship available in Starfleet, is only barely able to defeat a single cube or two, then you'd think it would be impossible for the Federation to successfully take on an entire Borg fleet.

Exactly. Why I absolutely adored this bit in Voyager's "Scorpion" (time index 0:35 to 1:08):

That's what "Best of Both Worlds" should have looked like. But they needed to have sorted out how the Borg would be defeated before they started writing, rather than pulling a JJ/Lost "cool idea! ... crap, we have no idea where to go with this".

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they ever explain why in the TNG era Ronulans all of a sudden developed ridged foreheads when in the TOS they were supposed to be completely indistinguishable from Vulcans? Granted that Klingons changed from TOS TV to TMP but at least they were never said specifically to look like swarthy humans and in DS9 they at least acknowledged that they looked different now from how they looked then, and actually explained in Enterprise, but never the Romulans.

The Proto-Vulcans in "Who Watches The Watchers?" also had the forehead ridges, suggesting that all Vulcans had them in the past. The Vulcans who remained on Vulcan lost the ridges over time, but the ones who left to become Romulans kept them. It was really just a means of making Romulans look different without getting too carried away with it.

Here's a question I would like answered. Why was Voyager the only ship where the Captain didn't have a center seat on the bridge? Every bridge design leaves little to no doubt as to where the person in charge sits. On Voyager, you have to ask 'which side?'.
The simplest answer would be that the VOY isn't as big as the Enterprise E and therefore, the psychological care falls under the doc.
Why doesn't Captain Picard have a hair transplant? Hehehe...
He doesn't want his authority undermined by a toupee :lol
Theoretically yes, but where's the drama? *shock*

Yeah, but the conservation of matter and energy still applies - you need your own extra extracted culturevated reprogrammed stemcells to add to your injury to heal. Besides, using transporter is very energy consuming and the quantum sensors have to be constantly adjusted to the cell growth, do you want to do this tedious job to get the transplant right?
Speaking of the Borg, why does the Borg seem to always attack in ones or twos instead of en masse? If the Federation, by throwing every last ship available in Starfleet, is only barely able to defeat a single cube or two, then you'd think it would be impossible for the Federation to successfully take on an entire Borg fleet.
The Borg have a superiocity complex, thinking that they could overrrun every species with one cube (worked, until they met Picard).

The Proto-Vulcans in "Who Watches The Watchers?" also had the forehead ridges, suggesting that all Vulcans had them in the past. The Vulcans who remained on Vulcan lost the ridges over time, but the ones who left to become Romulans kept them. It was really just a means of making Romulans look different without getting too carried away with it.

The problem with that is that in TOS it was stated, or so I thought, that Vulcans and Romulans were completely indistinguishable from each other. Plus, didn't they show a Romulan or Romulans in ST VI(?) and they didn't have a ridged forehead, and there was that Asian looking female Romulan in STV who had neither the forehead ridges, nor the stereotypical Romulan bowl cut hair do.

Yeah, but the conservation of matter and energy still applies - you need your own extra extracted culturevated reprogrammed stemcells to add to your injury to heal. Besides, using transporter is very energy consuming and the quantum sensors have to be constantly adjusted to the cell growth, do you want to do this tedious job to get the transplant right?

But it's not that difficult to do considering that they did something almost like that on Voayger where they created holographics lungs for Neelix after their first encounter with the phage people. If you can create holographics lungs, would it be that much more of a step to create permanent organs via the transporter based on the data form their last transporter usage?

The problem with that is that in TOS it was stated, or so I thought, that Vulcans and Romulans were completely indistinguishable from each other. Plus, didn't they show a Romulan or Romulans in ST VI(?) and they didn't have a ridged forehead, and there was that Asian looking female Romulan in STV who had neither the forehead ridges, nor the stereotypical Romulan bowl cut hair do.

Are you saying that there are inconsistencies in Star Trek? Cause I never noticed :lol

The Borg did use a lot of cubes and spheres when they were facing Species 8472 (did I get it right?).

- - - Updated - - -

But it's not that difficult to do considering that they did something almost like that on Voayger where they created holographics lungs for Neelix after their first encounter with the phage people. If you can create holographics lungs, would it be that much more of a step to create permanent organs via the transporter based on the data form their last transporter usage?

My take on this is they purge the pattern buffers right after transport because of too much data. So, by the time they needed new organs, the pattern buffer was already purged so they had to rely on holographic lungs.

You forgot that they had to stick the awful Talaxian in a restriction tube, where he basically had zero movement to make the holo lungs work… I guess, they would have to do these procedure with the patient… but as I asked before: "Where is the drama, when the patient doesn't have any medical complications?" Besides, I think, they still have surgical procedures, since not on all planet you have access to a transporter system…

My big question is who thought rebooting the movie franchise was a good idea and even more so with JJ Abrams at the helm for 2 movies.

Here's something, if Q'onos is as close to Earth as has been established in both Enterprise and the new movies, how is that we (Earth) were never conquered by the Klingons? Enterprise makes this question really hard to answer when they showed that the Klingon homeworld is only a few days travel at low warp speeds, that they're technologically superior to us, and they're the same aggressive and expansionistic race that we've come to know and love from the previous Trek shows and movies. Given that, you'd think that we'd run across the Klingons a lot sooner and Earth would be just a Kilingon colony.

On the subject of Klingon tech, what happened to their tech anyway? They were more advanced than Earth during Enterprise yet looking back at TNG & DS9, their tech doesn't seem to have advanced a whole lot since then. They seem to be using the same style Okudagram controls during Enterprise as they do in the TNG era and their weapons don't seem to be that much more powerful, unless Federation shield tech got a massive boost from the Vulcans and/or Andorians.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back