Finished: Custom Mara Jade Lightsaber from scratch

Luke the Belter

15.01.2015: Finished saber in post #23 http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=229370&p=3537034&viewfull=1#post3537034

Hi guys,
I want to share just another project I started two weeks ago.
I was working on my Luke ROTJ costume when my girlfriend came and wanted to know what I would make of a Mara Jade costume for her.
First: I couldn’t believe what I she was asking. My girlfriend wants another Star Wars costume (She has a custom R2D2 dress with hat and self painted shoes, will search a picture and add it here ;) )

20141003_130011.jpg 20141003_102908.jpg

Second: Ok, yeah great.
Third: She will do the sewing and I have to do the lightsaber, belt, harness, goggles etc.

So I started with a custom Mara Jade saber from scratch.
I’m very satisfied with what I have achieved. Especially regarding the very simple tools I have.
But see for yourself…
My reference is this one, the purple-pink lightsaber.
MST10114.jpg

I started with some plumbing tube…yeah I know ^^
And first cut the rectangular metal stripes out of a metal plate I found.

Mara Jade 01.jpg Mara Jade 03.jpeg Mara Jade 04.jpg

I glued the stripes on the tube and had to think about the metal bands going around the middle of the saber and the grooves between.
I used two plumbing tube coupler. They have a bigger diameter than the other tube.

Mara Jade 07.jpg Mara Jade 08.jpg

I cut them into six bands, painted the tube black and glued the bands in position.

Mara Jade 12.jpg Mara Jade 11.jpg

So I got this nice middle section with black grooves between these six metal bands.

Mara Jade 14.jpg

Next I build the little activator box from scrap metal.

Mara Jade 16.jpg Mara Jade 17.jpg

Now I used some metal rings, normally used to put up curtains, to make the tube thicker on the end where the T-tracks will be attached.

Mara Jade 20.jpg Mara Jade 23.jpg Mara Jade 26.jpg

I could have glued the Graflex button in place, BUT I want to build a crystal chamber with electronics so it will be necessary to dismantle some parts from time to time.
The Graflex button will be hold by two metal plates which fit into the thread of the button and I can unscrew the plates and to put a switch underneath the button or maybe replace the switch.

Same with the emitter I build from a vacuum flange and a scrap metal ring. One of the screws holding the Graflex button screws through the tube into the emitter part and holds it in place.

Mara Jade 28.jpg Mara Jade 30.jpg Mara Jade 29.jpg

To see what I got so far I attached three T-tracks with some tape.

Mara Jade 39.jpg Mara Jade 40.jpg Mara Jade 41.jpg Mara Jade 42.jpg

Will glue them the next days.

What do you think.
Your opinion is really appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: Custom Mara Jade Lightsaber from scratch WIP

Seems you're well on your way to produce another magnificent lightsaber piece ... as for Mara Jade ... I only have an action figure with a turqoise blade ... which was what made me purchase her, though I'm not certain if that's the color blade used in the comics.

Chaim

Couples outfit awesome.
Also, that is a great looking saber.

Thank you sirs.

This is one of our costume references with purple blade.
Even if this saber looks like an Obi Wan Episode 1 type lightsaber ;)

uploadfromtaptalk1416834951845.jpg

And so I don't realy like the covertec solution I'm planning something like a sheath for the hilt.
Kind of what you can see here

uploadfromtaptalk1416835141327.jpg

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100G mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

FYI: that saber is the purple bladed lightsaber. It was used by Mara while she served as the Emperor's Hand. She no longer had that lightsaber when she appeared in Heir to the Empire. Shortly after, Luke gave her his The Empire Strikes Back style lightsaber (blue blade). She used that till she constructed her own as part of her Jedi training but as far as I know, no images of any kind exist that represent the design. There is also interpretation of her Hand's lightsaber in the CD-ROM game Dark Forces: Mysteries of the Sith.

Who says machined sabers are better? Looks awesome. The only this that gave me pause is the single word "glue". If this is for use with a costume, try to use mechanical fasteners where possible. Glued parts have a tendency to break off at the most in opportune moments. Other than that, great job.

FYI: that saber is the purple bladed lightsaber. It was used by Mara while she served as the Emperor's Hand. She no longer had that lightsaber when she appeared in Heir to the Empire. Shortly after, Luke gave her his The Empire Strikes Back style lightsaber (blue blade). She used that till she constructed her own as part of her Jedi training but as far as I know, no images of any kind exist that represent the design. There is also interpretation of her Hand's lightsaber in the CD-ROM game Dark Forces: Mysteries of the Sith.

Thanks. Thought I'd read it that way. Somewhere here on the forum. I think it was a post of yours, too ;)

Who says machined sabers are better? Looks awesome.

Thank you. I like the way it doesn't look too perfect, because of my skills ;)

The only this that gave me pause is the single word "glue".

I know what you mean. The plumbing tube just gave me a hard time drilling hole through it. It's just chromed copper I believe but it's very tough stuff and got some dents instead of holes. On the glued parts I used "JB Weld" glue. I think with metal parts it is very strong. We'll see or maybe not :unsure.

Finished it over the weekend.

Here it is next to the goggles we plan to use on the costume.

Mara Jade 43.jpg Mara Jade 44.jpg

Mara Jade 45.jpg Mara Jade 46.jpg

I'm very satisfied how the black T-tracks add to the look of the saber.

Next will be the creation of a crystal chamber with some light ;)

Came out really well. I am curious why you did not make the button black...

Thank you.

One reason I like the red Graflex button on this saber is that it is a special eye catcher and add some more color to all the metal.

...or add the brass thumbscrew.

I have a brass thumbscrew which would work. But I'm not sure if I like it on the saber. Especially considering that it won't has any use as covertec knob on the saber.
I'm not sure about it. :rolleyes

Give me a good reason and I will consider the matter :confused

You don't need a good reason - waves hand - use it or use it not . . . there's nothing like a nice vintage piece of weathered brass on any lightsaber ;)

Chaim

Thank you.

One reason I like the red Graflex button on this saber is that it is a special eye catcher and add some more color to all the metal.

In case anyone is wondering, the black button on the MJ saber is a Bumpon (black, flat, with angled edge)

I have a brass thumbscrew which would work. But I'm not sure if I like it on the saber. Especially considering that it won't has any use as covertec knob on the saber.
I'm not sure about it. :rolleyes

Give me a good reason and I will consider the matter :confused

Well there a few reasons.

First off. It is a detail on the Lightsaber. It's almost like saying you would leave a the Tri-ring off Luke's lightsaber. You can not really wear that lightsaber, the ring and the control box line up and therefore the box digs into the leg. Also, the ring and the type of hook Luke has on his belt are incompatible and does not settle in correctly. Even if you had no plans to wear a lightsaber hilt, would you leave that detail off? Of course not.... you're not some kind of psychopath. ;)

Second. Are we sure it for securing the saber to a belt? What if it is a control knob? It's probably not but what if your wrong. That's the mistake that goes on your permanent record. :p

Third. Lets talk about how it can be used to secure it to the belt but not as a covertec. If you simply uses a tight fitting leather loop with a safety snap, the knob would keep it in place.

Or

You can use it for a saber holster design such as this: http://www.steampunkedout.com/graphics/pics/guns/gun_maresleg2.jpg The emitter could rest in a pocket and instead of a hook, you could use a CB mic holder for the knob to slide into.

Turned out awesome! Great work on that hilt
surprised.png

Really nice build! Your girlfriend should be proud of you.

Thank you both.
I think she is ;)

. . . there's nothing like a nice vintage piece of weathered brass on any lightsaber ;)

:lol Very good.

In case anyone is wondering, the black button on the MJ saber is a Bumpon (black, flat, with angled edge)

Well there a few reasons.

First off. It is a detail on the Lightsaber. It's almost like saying you would leave a the Tri-ring off Luke's lightsaber. You can not really wear that lightsaber, the ring and the control box line up and therefore the box digs into the leg. Also, the ring and the type of hook Luke has on his belt are incompatible and does not settle in correctly. Even if you had no plans to wear a lightsaber hilt, would you leave that detail off? Of course not.... you're not some kind of psychopath. ;)

Second. Are we sure it for securing the saber to a belt? What if it is a control knob? It's probably not but what if your wrong. That's the mistake that goes on your permanent record. :p

Ok. You convinced me.:D
I'll have to attache a brass thumbscrew now.

I have three pieces I could use. Which on would you guys prefer?

On the left a metal disc, only brass colored and very shiny, scratches on the surface would become silver.
In the middle my favourite. A real brass thumbscrew, smaller than the other two.
On the right a brass disc, threaded in the inner hole, so it is a kind of a thumbscrew.

20141201_214856.jpg 20141201_215023.jpg

I agree with Mara Jade's Father ... the middle one ... is quite subtle indeed :)

Chaim

Ok. Thanks.
I'll use the one in the middle.

On the web you can find a lot of pictures of this saber.
On the one I used as reference the brass thumbscrew is on the same side as the button (graflex button in this case)
The other pictures often show the thumbscrew on the opposite side, but I think it is just because these sabers use the thumbscrew as covertec fastening.
Which one is the correct one? :confused

This is one I own. It is one of only five that Jeff Parks made identical to the one he made for the CCG in which this saber was first seen.

mjsaber.jpg
mjcert.jpg

The functional purpose of the thumbscrew is to gain access to the battery compartment. You take the screw out and the pommel slides out.

Attachments

• parksmjsaber.jpg
    parksmjsaber.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 500
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back