Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes it worse. You should know better. There's a difference between trolling and flat out racism.

No, I am not supporting it, I'm explaining it to you how this works. And yes, I've been called, accused and everything under the sun for being a "white boy," when I am in fact Hispanic.

What's that? I'm also in the military? Ever been called a "baby killer" at an airport while trying to eat a muffin between your flights?

Yea, don't assume things about anyone

Clearly didn't read. It's alright, you can't always be correct

Actually I did, which is why I amended it five seconds later. I know how trolling works. What I was trying to say is that it's naive to try and dismiss the attacks on Leslie Jones as mere trolling. The toxic cloud surrounding this movie has brought every kind of stone dwelling knuckle-dragger out of the woodwork and given them the opportunity to spread their hateful rhetoric wider than ever. Saying that someone should simply ignore horrible, spiteful racist bile directed at them is just victim-shaming. Why should they have to face it in the first place?

Would you say that someone who commits suicide due to online bullying should have just ignored it? Should they have had 'thicker skin'?

The point was the dude sits quietly for 5 years and his only contribution to any board discussion is to troll a member in support of a guy who lead a racist campaign that got him a life ban on Twitter. Why would we put up with that?

Actually I did, which is why I amended it five seconds later. I know how trolling works. What I was trying to say is that it's naive to try and dismiss the attacks on Leslie Jones as mere trolling. The toxic cloud surrounding this movie has brought every kind of stone dwelling knuckle-dragger out of the woodwork and given them the opportunity to spread their hateful rhetoric wider than ever. Saying that someone should simply ignore horrible, spiteful racist bile directed at them is just victim-shaming. Why should they have to face it in the first place?

Would you say that someone who commits suicide due to online bullying should have just ignored it? Should they have had 'thicker skin'?

Yes, because trolling is exactly what happened. She kept responding to it, and it got worse, hence "trolling." Sure, the stuff that was directed toward her was extremely racist, but you're gonna tell me that racists individuals can't be trolls either and they are/can be two-separate things?

And no, they don't have to "face" it either. Leslie fell into their trap because she didn't know how to handle it. It's not deserved of her, but those closer to her should have tried to tell her to stop retweeting and responding to these folks. They WANT to be seen, so of course those trolls are going to say the meanest, nastiest crap they can to get more visibility.

I'm going to tell you something, about myself, aside from my aforementioned experiences of race and or occupational directed hate. I've been bullied growing up, as early as I can remember being in grade-school. Why? Cause I was fat and was still taller than all of my elementary school teachers. I never once contemplated suicide, even after getting severely beaten up by about 13 or so kids at one point.

Do you know who I was told "to blame" for all this? I was. I was flat out told that me, myself, my mere existence was to blame for getting bullied. My size was a "threat" and that I "needed to be controlled" despite doing absolutely nothing to instigate. These punks that assaulted me were seen as "victims" in their twisted logic. How do you think I got through all those years of that kind of Bull****?

I learned to not give a flying **** anymore

Looking back on how everything played out, my biggest regret was not beating the ever living **** out of those people. It took one time, years later for me to teach someone with a Napoleon complex to NEVER mess with me, and everyone else decided to follow suit.

So yes, people need to learn to grow thick skin and learn how to deal with it, because the rest of the world simply does not give a crap about your sensibilities. The rest of the world will tear you apart piece by piece if you let it. The world will beat you down and you will either stand up and keep going or lay down and die

We all started a group FB chat yesterday and busted our butts on it. Got all that footage collected in less than 8 hours. So proud of everyone and very thankful for the Yes Have Some Podcast for leading the charge on it.

Great job Jeff, I'm glad to know that a fellow RPF member was part of this. Truly a fantastic initiative and sweet contributions from all the fans. I was surprised how they managed to pull this off so quickly. This just goes to show that in any endeavor the number of good-hearted individuals will always outnumber the bad ones, if enough people get to hear and see them.

Right trolling stops when you stop responding to it? Obviously you have not been around the last few years on the internet. The base should be NO tweets of that type of garbage allowed at all.

Jomamma - Sad that you don't understand free speech bud. It does not mean freedom of consequence. :/

Almost guaranteed I was rolling in the berg before you so you're "funny" quips about safe spaces and young college kids is quite off base.

We all started a group FB chat yesterday and busted our butts on it. Got all that footage collected in less than 8 hours. So proud of everyone and very thankful for the Yes Have Some Podcast for leading the charge on it.

Way over the top cool.

Good for you. I'm glad that you came through the experience of being bullied as a kid as a stronger person. I'm sorry that you were forced into dealing with life with such a cynical outlook though, despite completely understanding where you are coming from. I very often feel the same way. The world is going to ****.

My anger does get 'triggered' at the slack jawed yokels defending scumbags like Yianoppolous, and you caught the brunt because you reponded to my post, for which I apologise.

Yes, because trolling is exactly what happened. She kept responding to it, and it got worse, hence "trolling." Sure, the stuff that was directed toward her was extremely racist, but you're gonna tell me that racists individuals can't be trolls either and they are/can be two-separate things?

And no, they don't have to "face" it either. Leslie fell into their trap because she didn't know how to handle it. It's not deserved of her, but those closer to her should have tried to tell her to stop retweeting and responding to these folks. They WANT to be seen, so of course those trolls are going to say the meanest, nastiest crap they can to get more visibility.

I'm going to tell you something, about myself, aside from my aforementioned experiences of race and or occupational directed hate. I've been bullied growing up, as early as I can remember being in grade-school. Why? Cause I was fat and was still taller than all of my elementary school teachers. I never once contemplated suicide, even after getting severely beaten up by about 13 or so kids at one point.

Do you know who I was told "to blame" for all this? I was. I was flat out told that me, myself, my mere existence was to blame for getting bullied. My size was a "threat" and that I "needed to be controlled" despite doing absolutely nothing to instigate. These punks that assaulted me were seen as "victims" in their twisted logic. How do you think I got through all those years of that kind of Bull****?

I learned to not give a flying **** anymore

Looking back on how everything played out, my biggest regret was not beating the ever living **** out of those people. It took one time, years later for me to teach someone with a Napoleon complex to NEVER mess with me, and everyone else decided to follow suit.

So yes, people need to learn to grow thick skin and learn how to deal with it, because the rest of the world simply does not give a crap about your sensibilities. The rest of the world will tear you apart piece by piece if you let it. The world will beat you down and you will either stand up and keep going or lay down and die

Jomamma - Sad that you don't understand free speech bud. It does not mean freedom of consequence. :/

Almost guaranteed I was rolling in the berg before you so you're "funny" quips about safe spaces and young college kids is quite off base.

You're a veteran so I'm kind of shocked at how easily you buy into the SJW garbage.. And for the record, I'll be 36 in 2 months m8.

- - - Updated - - -

13738282_713227505481814_3861032831140797236_o.jpg

I wanted to like it... I had friends who gave it positive reviews but my expectations were already very low. I considered myself to be the ultimate litmus test of this film as I must be one of the few individuals left in he world that hasn't seen any of the actors or directors material whatsoever.

I only laughed once, at the Jaws line. Theater about 1/4 full, only a few laughs here and only from individual parties, never all at once.

Heard a lot of 'the Egon-chick stole the show.' I couldn't even understand what she was saying because she seemed to always be doing a voice. I don't get it, not a lot of chemistry among the cast. It all felt flat to me, and again an entire movie was already spoiled by its own trailers so there weren't a lot of surprises. If anything Leslie Jones delivered the most convincing performance.

One positive from me, I liked the introduction of the lay lines as a paranormal/scientific concept... even if an on-hand paper map of NYC without creases is less believeable than the colorful ghosts.

Two 3D tickets cost me almost $40. I should have spent it on my proton pack. Well, at least we got Ecto Cooler back.

Maybe I'm too old, and possibly out of touch with modern comedy. But for those who were laughing, could you even cite what exactly was so damn funny?

I didn't see it but I probably will once it's on Netflix. I'm not holding out any hope for liking it either. I like Paul Feig, and the cast, but the previews just didn't make me laugh at all. It really should have been a sequel too, rather than a reboot. Like these are the next generation of Ghostbusters as opposed to having to retell the same story.

I finally saw it and... It seems to me that a lot of people hate this film because they want to hate it. No, it's no Citizen Kane. Heck, it's not even a Ghostbusters 2. But it was okay. Yes, the whole "Kevin is an idiot" subplot was truly cringe worthy, a few of the moments in the film just fell flat, and at times the techno-babble just seemed excessive, but overall the film was entertaining. Kate McKinnon was probably the highlight of the movie for me, even if the performance was occasionally a little too over the top. The cameos and throwbacks were amusing, and never seemed forced or out of place. I don't know if that "dance number" was ever meant to be in the body of the film, but it definitely was a good move to push it back into the credits as it would have brought the story to a dead stop. All said, it was more good than it was bad and if my friend decides to go see it, I might see it again with him.

There's a difference between trolling and flat out racism.
Given some of the online comments I've seen, there's not that much difference. The sexist hate was sadly predictable, but the racism? Clearly the brain-dead trolls behind that line of thinking (and I use the term 'thinking' quite incorrectly) don't remember Ernie Hudson?
New rule: you wanna be racist about the new Ghostbustes? Then you aren't allowed to enjoy the first two, or the cartoons. Hell, if you're racist then I'm banning you from enjoying any Samuel L Jackson films, Star Wars, most other sci-fi genres, and pretty much all of modern culture.

Before seeing GB 16 I wanted to rewatch the first 2... since they are compared against it so heavily. It's been a while since I saw the first, couldn't even remember how it started...

But I've watched it again now and yeah, holds up... and the new one existing didn't change it at all... weird, heh.

Things of note! (Could play heavily into my thoughts on GB 16)

- Forgot the opening scene was the library with a tease of the ghost. Reminds me of Spielberg and his first scene teases (like Jaws right up to Jurrasic Park)

- GREAT Venkman intro - In one scene you get his name, that he should burn in hell, he's a paranormal psychologist or something, he's kind of a jerk (sloooowly reaching for switch to shock the dude), he's charming, he's going to be the stand out...

- Ghost librarian shushing and Venkman's response is great. Shush is still kinda creepy.

- these guys really are shlubs... and the dialogue sounds very improvised... more so than I remember... So a very improved GB16 shouldn't be THAT odd... should fit right in.

- Funny that the librarian ghost is the first they've ever seen (the rest of their investigations were from "crack pots") but immediately after the sighting, they are talking about containing ghosts and franchising ghost capturing. I feel like that would be like winning the lottery, and then assuming I need to build a giant safe for all of the other lottery's I'm going to win from then on.

- Forgot how good Dan Akroyd is in this. Perfectly plays the man child. Love when he's excited for the fire house find.

- Louis is such a weird character... if he was introduced in GB 16 he would probably be viewed as "idiot man by man hating director"... actually most of the men would get this.

- As a kid I never understood why Venkman would go for Dana... I can see past the perm now... HOT.

- Never noticed the bag of stay puft marshmallows behind eggs on Dana's counter...

- As a kid I never noticed the insinuated oral sex joke when Egon comes up from between Janine's lap under the desk.

- Wow Obvious Crunchy product placement... Diet Coke...

- Venkman is pretty creeper in Dana's apartment... declaring love... harassing her in her own home... Dana calls him odd and is absolutely right. she obviously regrets letting him in and shoves him out.

- Gotta love proton packs. Want one bad. I dunno about GB 16's versions, but these scream cool.

- more oral sex? Ray Stantz cross eye'd was a weird choice. Super cartoony in a ghost BJ scene.

- Next Dana meets Venkman she is COMPLETELY into him just because of his social proof as a celebrity. Funny. He's still super weird and she leaves the scene probably regretting that she said she would meet him on a Thursday.

- I've heard there are inconsistent rules with the ghosts in GB 16... but I never really understood the dogs in the first. People claim someone brought a cougar... but the people in the restaurant couldn't see it attack Louis. Can people see the dogs or not? Did the dogs possess them? And then they turned into the dogs? What?

- Louis closed the door to his apartment trying to lock the dog in his apartment with his guests... nice host and neighbor!

- Possessed Dana is even hotter.

- Loved Winston and his revelations talk. Bring in an outsider perspective to their group of scientists. Winston is cooler than I remember.

- Officer Ray Romano?

- Egon makes a "Your mother!" joke? Ha!

- What Christmas song is Venkman supposed to be singing? ha.

- Man that street earthquake looks like a Univeral Studios tour earthquake... it will reset after they walk in for the next group coming along.

- SHOCKING TO ME: it was WINSTON who said "If someone asks if you're a god, you say YES"... I remember it being Venkman. Winston is MUCH cooler than I remember.

- People are mad that they are using the packs to kill ghosts in the new one, cuz they are meant to hold the ghost for the trap... but they DID use it to hurt Stay Puft... burned the crap out of him.

I'm glad I rewatched... now even without seeing Ghostbusters 2 I'm ready to see the new one and check out just how warranted the hate is or isn't - though it's cool to see a lot of people DID enjoy it. I probably will try and watch Ghostbusters 2 before my viewing though as I'm not likely getting to a theater til Sunday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back