3D printed Obi-wan Lightsaber

I have printed two of these guys and I would love to take a stab at the 14 piece one..... but I think I am going to save those files for a day when the coworkers won't need the printer.

I've printed out a few of these for people. They are really fun. Looking forward to printing the multi piece one. Thanks again!

if anyone needs help getting one of these let me know.

Neil

I too have joined the 3-D nation... Sort of. I acquired three windvanes (thanks Muttley), one of which I've applied to my mostly machined Obi ANH.

Am i missing something or is the bubble strip not included in the complex version?

It is included, youmagine's a bit buggy sometimes and doesn't show all your files in the thumbnail view.

If you click on documents (beside comments) you'll get all the files there proper. Bubblestrip is called lightbulbs

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very very cool. I know nothing about 3d printing, but is it possible to print the end cap of an authentic correct Armitage Shanks handwheel and have the writing on it?

Painting tutorial was fantastic. I've got one of these printed by mutley and I'm looking forward to painting it when I get my shop set up in my new house.

I noticed in the video your windvane is on upside-down.

Painting tutorial was fantastic. I've got one of these printed by mutley and I'm looking forward to painting it when I get my shop set up in my new house.

I noticed in the video your windvane is on upside-down.

Thanks, funny that you caught that. ;P I made a few mistakes while doing the video including spraying the grenade silver when it should have been black :p The windvane thing was super difficult to fit on, I didn't test the fitting before painting which was a big no-no.

That's very very cool. I know nothing about 3d printing, but is it possible to print the end cap of an authentic correct Armitage Shanks handwheel and have the writing on it?

With the current orientation of the cap, you won't get much detail on the writing. If you want details that fine, you'd probably have to send it into a professional printer, or make the cap 2 parts just to optimize for the writing.

That is a well done video. Great editing skills. And that is the first time I've seen the loading and cleaning of an air brush. Appreciated.

Hi Valcrow, awesome work on this saber, thanks for putting in all the time and sharing with the rest of us. Love your Atlas Mech too if you're the same Valcrow that did that.

I've got almsot all my parts printed and painted for this saber, I'm having one hell of a time with the pin though, I'm tried so many different ways of printing it and can't get it to come even close to usable. Any advice on print settings for the pin?

The pin and lever were to toughest parts for me as well. My printer just isn't quite dialed in enough yet to effectively print them. I uploaded those to files to Shapeways and had them printed for a couple bucks. I also had the bubble strip printed in Ultra Frosted Detail (clear)

Hi Valcrow, awesome work on this saber, thanks for putting in all the time and sharing with the rest of us. Love your Atlas Mech too if you're the same Valcrow that did that.

I've got almsot all my parts printed and painted for this saber, I'm having one hell of a time with the pin though, I'm tried so many different ways of printing it and can't get it to come even close to usable. Any advice on print settings for the pin?

I looked at the pin part again to see if I could make it a bit more user friendly. It looks like the tolerance on the clampy part was too tight, my UM1 was under extruding just a tad so all of my 'good' tolerances ends up being too tight printed on my UM2 which I assume is more accurate.

I'll post up a fix tomorrow. You'll likely still have to file a little bit, but at least it won't be impossible and it should print better. It is unfortunately very close to the limit of these printers.

And yes, I made the Atlas and Jenner too :p

Hey folks,

I have a fix up for the switch now. Give it a shot, it still requires a little bit of cleaning depending on how calibrated your printer is, but far less than the previous file. Plus it has extra supports so it has a higher chance of printing correctly. The pin is also about 2mm longer so it's a tad more forgiving. (but still holds the whole thing tight)

medium_IMG_20140810_183004.jpg

*edit* oops. it's backwards, make sure you install it correctly. :p

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/light-saber-pin-and-switch-revision

Let me know if that works for you guys.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back