Y-Wing - Unanswered or Unasked Questions

Flintlock

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
How much is cut off of the L'Eggs eggs for the front domes?

How much is cut off of the L'Eggs eggs for the rear vectors?

How long are the t-rods cut to?

How much is cut off of the Saturn V stage 1 tubes? (The measurement I got is that they're cut to 6.5")

How much are the Saturn V stage 1 tubes offset downward from center on the wings?

How much is cut off the thrust nozzles?

What is the diameter of the tube inside the engines, in front of the thrust nozzles?

How much is cut off of the cone-shaped piece inside the engine recesses?

What is the diameter of the cross-tube at the rear of the wings?

What is the thickness of the wings?

What is the piece that covers the side mounting points in the engine tubes?

What are the various sizes and thicknesses of tubes, tees, channels, and chips all over, including the tubes that make up the mouth cannons?

What are some methods that have been used to determine these?

I put calipers all over the Red Y, so I can dig up some of those measurements for you in a couple of days.

The piping thicknesses were mapped out, I remember sketching that distinctly.

On Gold Leader:
346mm for the four T-rods, from where it butts against the front "clamp" assemblies that ring the egg to the end against the back egg "steering vane" assemblies.
Wing thickness 5.7mm
Wing length 79.5mm (not exactly sure which greeblie it was measured from, to the Sat cans.

Oh yeah: what are those wedges around the very rear of the Saturn V tubes, just behind the corrugated section?

I don't know if they have been IDed but if they have, I assume some one will chime in that they are "known". Until then, they've been scratched to the closest approximation.

"Wow you're asking a lot !"

"some one will chime in that they are 'known'."

LOL, the good ol' days. I should probably chill my brashness and build some cred before asking such things.

Welcome back to the board, Ron! :)

Some folks here will tell you that a given part is "most definitely 8Rad" when in fact it is anything but 8Rad. Pretty sure if any of these self-declared experts tried to build a Y-Wing from scratch, it would resemble nothing so much as the Tamiya 8Rad. Some folks here have agendas, while others simply lack the first clue.

In other words, have fun, but be skeptical.

Welcome back to the board, Ron! :)

Some folks here will tell you that a given part is "most definitely 8Rad" when in fact it is anything but 8Rad. Pretty sure if any of these self-declared experts tried to build a Y-Wing from scratch, it would resemble nothing so much as the Tamiya 8Rad. Some folks here have agendas, while others simply lack the first clue.

In other words, have fun, but be skeptical.

Could not agree more, I've been burned by false IDs before which is why I don't buy into an ID 100% unless I can confirm it myself.

The Y-Wing and the 8-Rad are burned into my brain.

And wasting money on dead end "near certainties" has taught me to be very skeptical.

I'm not going to attempt to start over. My kits are gone now and there's no way I can get back what I had. I had all three 1/15 Bandai tanks, and some other rare stuff. I paid $350 for my Sealab in 2004. What are they going for now? $1000? I'm going to see what I can do with castings offered here.

I'm also working on another non-studio scale Y project.

But I ask these questions here for everyone, trying to keep it about what it was always supposed to be about from the beginning. 1997.

The Y-Wing and the 8-Rad are burned into my brain.

And wasting money on dead end "near certainties" has taught me to be very skeptical.

I'm not going to attempt to start over. My kits are gone now and there's no way I can get back what I had. I had all three 1/15 Bandai tanks, and some other rare stuff. I paid $350 for my Sealab in 2004. What are they going for now? $1000? I'm going to see what I can do with castings offered here.

I'm also working on another non-studio scale Y project.

But I ask these questions here for everyone, trying to keep it about what it was always supposed to be about from the beginning. 1997.

I wasn't here in 1997, but I appreciate what you're saying. We all started somewhere, a picture speaks a thousand words and your offering of the nude Y is what got me going. My first attempt fell way short, but DaveG really helped me to get going again and infact injected some new life into this forum. The parts map that Bigdog has put out is a testament to what a community can do.

Yes, I have the kit to confirm. Though I'm not sure my having it "confirms" anything. Just that it has a piece that "sure looks good to me" and not much more.

That's good confirmation - having the kit and just looking. Sometimes people say "it's from such and such kit" without ever looking at the parts themselves. Back in the day I picked up a few kits on other's high confidence, only to find the kit had no parts whatsoever.

I put calipers all over the Red Y, so I can dig up some of those measurements for you in a couple of days.

Have you found these yet, Moff?

What part (s) come from the Bandai 1:24 Panther G? Are they on Red Jammer only? Is it worth trying/hoping to scare one up?

When I had my kits I had most of the Y covered, and a few remaining conspicuous parts were from kits I knew, not the Panther G. It seemed as though whatever part is in that kit must be insignificant enough, like being tiny, mostly hidden, or on only one variant, to not bother.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back