Worst Movies of the year

Dude. TFA was in no way shape or form terrible. Yes, it was a tad derivitive from the other movies, but that was the only place it could go. Do I agree with all the choices (kylo ren cating, leia hugging rey instead of chewie, chewie having human hands) no, but overall, it was a great, fun movie. Rogue one on the other hand, didnt have any of those things for me. Im not saying every movie has to be "fun" but it should be enjoyable. I spent 36 bucks(took a date) and it was not worth the 17 seconds of Darth Vader kicking ass at the end.

All this energy on stuff you hate. Life's too short for this buddy! Focus on the stuff you love and you'll be a much happier person.

I love when people say that films with really high production value are "terrible". Bad story? Maybe. Bad acting? Maybe. But terrible? Nah.

I grew up in the 80's watching some pretty genuinely terrible stuff from the 60's and 70's. Cardboard sets with crappy scripts and worse acting. Were there films this year that were a let down? Sure. Nothing I saw was terrible though, far from it.

In fairness I didn't see Ghostbusters. Even then though, I'm sure it's not "terrible", just a huge let down compared to what it could be.

This thread totally reminds me of....

The-critic-it-stinks.gif

All this energy on stuff you hate. Life's too short for this buddy! Focus on the stuff you love and you'll be a much happier person.

I love when people say that films with really high production value are "terrible". Bad story? Maybe. Bad acting? Maybe. But terrible? Nah.

I grew up in the 80's watching some pretty genuinely terrible stuff from the 60's and 70's. Cardboard sets with crappy scripts and worse acting. Were there films this year that were a let down? Sure. Nothing I saw was terrible though, far from it.

In fairness I didn't see Ghostbusters. Even then though, I'm sure it's not "terrible", just a huge let down compared to what it could be.

As a fan of MST3K, I can truly say, some of these people don't have a clue as to what a bad movie really looks like. To quote Ghostbusters: "I've seen stuff that would turn you white!"

then i must say you can't compare the two. moon zero two and manos and santa claus didn't know they where going to be bad.....or didn't care that they where going to be bad.

IMHO, R1 and TFA where, and while they might be better than your average MST3K movie, that isn't saying a whole hell of a lot. as a huge star wars fan, i have no desire to see these movies more than twice.

there's no real reason too. At least MSt3K has the jokes to set you up.

where
(h)wer/
adverb

• in or to what place or position.
    "where do you live?"
adverb

• at, in, or to which (used after reference to a place or situation).
    "I first saw him in Paris, where I lived in the early sixties"
    the place or situation in which.
    "this is where I live"

conjunction

that.
    "do you see where the men in your life are emotionally unavailable to you?"
    whereas.
    "where some caregivers burn out, others become too involved"

were
wər/

• second person singular past, plural past, and past subjunctive of be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really could care less regarding with Batman vs Superman or the Ghostbusters movie. I enjoyed both for what they were, but of course I had no high expectations of them. They had their own charm in ways, but special, as expected, so it was hard to be let down by them in the first place

On the other hand a movie like Hail Ceasar was a let down because the track record for the Cohen brothers stuff is set to a pretty high bar. Hail Ceasar had the potential, but when the movie ended I was left felling like "that's it". It felt like a long set up with no punchline.

So worst is pretty subjective.

While Hail Ceasar may have been a better movie than Ghostbusters, it was worse in many ways because I expected so much more from it

We watched Star Trek Beyond, Batman v Superman (Extended cut), and Suicide Squad over the holiday and man..

While ST Beyond was better than Into Darkness, that's not a very high bar to clear. It was still dreadfully dull and derivative. Not only did they lift material from the old Starblazers cartoon (the Minmei effect), but they also lifted a plot point from the brilliant Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy novels. To say I was not pleased, particularly after Simon Pegg's tendency to lash out against any criticism, is a severe understatement. Also, Idris Elba was entirely wasted. Sofia Boutella's character was cool, though.

Batman V Superman. Jeez, where to even begin on this one... They might as well have given it the tagline of "otherwise smart people doing incredibly stupid things". Almost none of the actions taken by Batman or Superman in this movie made one lick of sense in the context of their characters. Any time Jesse Eisenberg was on screen, I wanted to punch him in the face repeatedly. Literally the ONLY bright spot in this movie for me was Gal Gadot's Diana/Wonder Woman, and given that she only has a cumulative 10 minutes or so of screen time in a 3 hour+ run time, this is not a good thing.

On the other hand, I was rather pleasantly surprised by Suicide Squad. It was in no way a good movie, but it was far more entertaining than Batman V Superman, in my opinion. Margot Robbie was fantastic with what she was given as Harley, and if they don't completely **** the bed with casting Catwoman and Poison Ivy, Harley's next outing has the potential to be a ton of fun. Again, it was categorically NOT a good movie, but at least I didn't come away from it wanting those hours of my life back, so I put that as a backhanded win in the DC column.

I didn't see many movies last year. I stood away from most movies that were poorly reviewed by people, like people here on rpf. Maybe those movies were the best contenders for worst of the year(?)

From what I did see, I dunno. I seem to have forgotten most of them. I'll mention Magnificent 7 as worst movie of the year (for me)

Some of the dialogue did not seem period accurate so I suppose the script is to blame.
Perpetuating old west stereotypes in such exaggerated ways that it perpetuates in the worst way possible. It felt as if Michael Bay did a "western".

Since I saw firesprite mention Suicide Squad, I had forgotten about it. And I did see it. What I didn't forget was how hopeful I was for the film. I remember a post I made on the SS thread here, how I had confidence in Jared Leto's performance. I'm not sure I liked his performance and the movie was really Will Smith playing Will Smith with Harley Quinn as they are joined by forgettable expendables to take on some weird thing. Damn that movie sucked.

From what I did see, I dunno. I seem to have forgotten most of them.

and that's the problem.

I liked Captain America, for the most part. But I remembered it from start to finish. I wanted to see more of Black Panther and anxiously await his movie. I can't wait for Ant Man 2 to see where they go with it. I'll even give the Spiderman thing a chance next year.

ID4 2? can't remember a thing about it. and i was waiting for that one hoping it'd be good. Bay Turtles two? forgotten after I left the theater. Star Trek Beyond? yawn...I can't even remember if there WAS a main villain in that one.

just something about modern movies is lacking fun and memorability.

Do Netflix original movies count?

Cuz "Ridiculous Six" was AMAZINGLY inept. Wow.

I was watching baked, and at one point I thought "I can't do this anymore... I'll check the time and if there's only 30 minutes left, I'll finish it... any more and I'm out"

Turns out I was only 25 minutes in.

It had NO idea if it was a comedy, or a drama, or a movie, or a turd, or just a paycheque for a guy who doesn't see the irony in making this after starring in"Funny People" a few years back... or... or...

We watched Star Trek Beyond, Batman v Superman (Extended cut), and Suicide Squad over the holiday and man..

While ST Beyond was better than Into Darkness, that's not a very high bar to clear. It was still dreadfully dull and derivative. Not only did they lift material from the old Starblazers cartoon (the Minmei effect), but they also lifted a plot point from the brilliant Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy novels. To say I was not pleased, particularly after Simon Pegg's tendency to lash out against any criticism, is a severe understatement. Also, Idris Elba was entirely wasted. Sofia Boutella's character was cool, though.

Batman V Superman. Jeez, where to even begin on this one... They might as well have given it the tagline of "otherwise smart people doing incredibly stupid things". Almost none of the actions taken by Batman or Superman in this movie made one lick of sense in the context of their characters. Any time Jesse Eisenberg was on screen, I wanted to punch him in the face repeatedly. Literally the ONLY bright spot in this movie for me was Gal Gadot's Diana/Wonder Woman, and given that she only has a cumulative 10 minutes or so of screen time in a 3 hour+ run time, this is not a good thing.

On the other hand, I was rather pleasantly surprised by Suicide Squad. It was in no way a good movie, but it was far more entertaining than Batman V Superman, in my opinion. Margot Robbie was fantastic with what she was given as Harley, and if they don't completely **** the bed with casting Catwoman and Poison Ivy, Harley's next outing has the potential to be a ton of fun. Again, it was categorically NOT a good movie, but at least I didn't come away from it wanting those hours of my life back, so I put that as a backhanded win in the DC column.
I knew you were a smart lady firesprite, but now that I know you like and read the Zhan novels makes me have more respect for you. :D I didnt see ST Beyond, what did they lift?

I knew you were a smart lady firesprite, but now that I know you like and read the Zhan novels makes me have more respect for you. :D I didnt see ST Beyond, what did they lift?

Why, thank you! Tim Zahn and Mike Stackpole are my absolute favorite EU authors, as well as being lovely, kind gentlemen in real life.

As for what Beyond lifted, they stole the idea of the mining units being stolen and used to assault the fleet, which is how the Enterprise gets boarded/destroyed. I literally stared at the screen for a good 30 seconds before blurting out "Are you ****ing kidding me?!"

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back