Star Wars VII Soccer Ball Droid

This was linked to on the astromech builders page. All these guys work on Sphero.

Patent application title: [SIZE=+1]MAGNETICALLY COUPLED ACCESSORY FOR A SELF-PROPELLED DEVICE[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

20140345957_05.png

20140345957_05.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, magnets it is then! After watching again the way the droid moves in that video, I take back the idea that there's anything in the head -- the head does seem to lead where the droid moves. You can sort of picture the point of contact being exactly where that spring/"biasing mechanism" would come up at a perpendicular from the drive carriage.

Perhaps the carriage is able to tilt just a bit before the ball starts to move, creating that head movement while the ball is at rest. I wonder if there is still a way for the head to spin independent of the drive carriage. That would allow the head to look side to side while BB-8 is driving in a straight line, as it seems to at a couple points in the video. A central magnet to hold it in place, and then a second magnet that mates with another inside the ball that is on a spinning ring that is concentric around that central magnet?

Awesome! I picked up a Sphero 2.0 last week and then a version 1 this weekend after seeing the original one had the inner stalk (to make the head mod much easier). I like the ring magnet idea too.

I know this thread has been mostly talking about the mechanics behind BB8 but anyone have ideas for where to get a big ball to use for the body?

This was linked to on the astromech builders page. All these guys work on Sphero.

Patent application title: [SIZE=+1]MAGNETICALLY COUPLED ACCESSORY FOR A SELF-PROPELLED DEVICE[/SIZE]

View attachment 466009

Mattonymy appears to have it correct. I'm about 99% sure this is the actual patent for BB-8, based on the description of how everything works.
If you haven't read the description, I suggest going to the patent page and doing so; it's super informative.

What do you guys estimate the diameter of BB-8 to be, 18"?

I did some rudimentary math and comparison measurements from when BB-8 was on stage with R2-D2.
I came up with an 18" diameter body, and a 10" diameter head.

I know this thread has been mostly talking about the mechanics behind BB8 but anyone have ideas for where to get a big ball to use for the body?

There are acrylic light-fixture globes available on eBay for about $30-$60 that might work. You'd need two 18" ones (cut both in half, then affix them together to form a complete sphere), and one 10" one for the head.
Of course, the panel details would all have to be carved in, and I'm not sure how thick the globes are, but it could be done.

I'd also like to propose that we merge the other thread with this one so we can keep all BB-8 concepts, speculation, and plans centralized in one place.
Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are acrylic light-fixture globes available on eBay for about $30-$60 that might work. You'd need two 18" ones (cut both in half, then affix them together to form a complete sphere), and one 10" one for the head.
Of course, the panel details would all have to be carved in, and I'm not sure how thick the globes are, but it could be done.

I'd also like to propose that we merge the other thread with this one so we can keep all BB-8 concepts, speculation, and plans centralized in one place.
Thoughts?

Thanks for the tips. To get the details On there what about just forming pieces of styrene or something around the ball? The prop looks like it was a bunch of curved section put together to make a ball.

Last edited:
bb8.jpg

Here's an idea i've got. where the centre chassis holds the main drive motor, and the rest of the pendulum gives it turning ability by swinging side to side.
with option to rotate the "pendulum" or a weight attached to a motor/servoto achieve sphere/body rotation.

On top of the centre chassis is a "neck" ball jointed preferably carbon or aluminium rod/tubing with neodymium magnets at the end. head rotation by either a wheel drive on the head which will require its own power supply and RF. or via flexible shaft that rotates the magnet at the end of the "neck" rod. 4 styrene ball bearings help reduce friction between where the head meets the body. air sandwiched between the two parts might also be a solution if there's a pump efficient enough.

I try to keep all the major components at the bottom hemisphere of the sphere.. to help it counter balance the head and neck mechanism.

So I'm recanting my measurements from before. I redid the comparison measurements and rudimentary math using this photo I found that has both BB-8 and R2-D2 side by side:
Star-Wars-Celebration-R2D2-BB8.jpg

I now think that BB-8 has a body diameter of 20" with a head diameter of 12".
Seems large, but he is definitely a little wider than the accepted body diameter of R2 (18").

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back