STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Regarding A-WIngs and B-WIngs. While the EU got tossed, the Games did not, they are Canon (since they were done by Lucas Arts Duh), and The A-WIng was part of one of the games Pre ANH missions. It makes sense to crank out a ship like that. Compare X-WIng and A-wing technology to US and Russian planes. We had the F-14, Russia had the lower tech MiGs which they cranked out en-masse. As for the B-Wing, I'm betting that is a Prototype. Maybe they are going to "Borrow it for a test drive."

And that IS James Earl Jones voicing Vader...SQUEEEEEEE!

no, the games are not. It does not matter that Lucas Arts made them or not. Anything that was not the six movies or the clone wars series at that point (about a year ago) is not canon. If I remember correctly the first new EU item was the novel Rebel Dawn so basically anything new after that (and not labeled with the "Legends" label) is canon.

Last edited:
Regarding A-WIngs and B-WIngs. While the EU got tossed, the Games did not, they are Canon (since they were done by Lucas Arts Duh), and The A-WIng was part of one of the games Pre ANH missions. It makes sense to crank out a ship like that. Compare X-WIng and A-wing technology to US and Russian planes. We had the F-14, Russia had the lower tech MiGs which they cranked out en-masse. As for the B-Wing, I'm betting that is a Prototype. Maybe they are going to "Borrow it for a test drive."

And that IS James Earl Jones voicing Vader...SQUEEEEEEE!

Yeah, games are NOT canon. And yes that is JEJ!

Says who?!

Yeah as soon as I posted that I started thinking that that must have been EU stuff, nothing official.

I'm actually glad we're seeing Rex. They kind of alluded to him thinking about his position in that episode where he met the clone deserter. I'd also like to see them cleaning the floor with crappy Stormtroopers. I'm surprised it took them this long to do anything with clones who didn't follow Order 66 or deserted.

I also wonder what was going on with the scene with Ahsoka and Kanan (? forgot who she was talking to) where he said he's never felt that much anger and hate or something since... and Ahsoka says "The Clone Wars..." I wonder if she sensed Anakin or if she was just speaking in general?

The look on her face? I have a feeling she knows what happened to Anakin.

Also, regarding A- and B-Wings. As with a lot of other things they either got wrong or made up wholesale, the post-ANH origins of those fighters was created whole-cloth by West End Games. They had Dodonna spearheading the development of the A-Wing post-Yavin after seeing how the latest TIE Fighters (incidentally, unintentionally giving support to uprating of the TIE Fighter over the years before the battle -- maybe from a version with smaller radiator panels that prevented as much engine output ;) ) were giving the Alliance's X- and Y-Wings so much trouble. He decided they needed a fast dedicated dogfighter and the A-Wing was the result. Meanwhile, the B-Wing was developed by the Mon Calamari and came into the Alliance when they did. One of the scenario modules had the player characters infiltrate the Imperial-held facility and steal the prototypes.

But also as with much of WEG's stuff, you should take it with several solar masses of salt. They did come up with some good stuff, stuff I hope makes it back into the canon. But other things were jus lazy, sloppy, or otherwise poorly-thought-out. You can discard their origins for these fighters along with the five-mile Super Star Destroyer. Now if we can just get rid of their lightsaber explanation... *sigh*

--Jonah

Last edited:
I think there's better story potential in her not knowing about Anakin, but MJF makes a good point. So we'll see.

Last edited:
Frankly, When I watch the OT, I assume that every vehicle the rebels have was built 15 years ago and bought used.

(Which is why I was hoping to the the republic use x-wings in the prequels)

Frankly, When I watch the OT, I assume that every vehicle the rebels have was built 15 years ago and bought used.

(Which is why I was hoping to the the republic use x-wings in the prequels)

With no real canon established yet, that is a possibility. You could also argue that some rebel craft used even predates the clone wars. Just because we don't see them and the republic does not utilize them, does not mean they did not exist. They could have been utilized by planetary system defense forces like Naboo's N-1. It's not like 20-30 years make ships obsolete. The US Military uses aircraft older than that. The Falcon is very old and no one seems to have issue with that.

However, some or all the rebel craft could be new to heavily used but recent technology. The ship's could be donated by various planetary systems, such as the Mon Cal provided the capital ships. I always felt that different military groups from other systems donated weapons, uniforms, flight gears, etc.. which is why uniformity varies. I would imagine that rebels might have a hard time otherwise getting a ship manufacture to provide them ships directly for fear of the wrath of the empire. Of course there might be manufactures in the outer rim in Hutt controlled space. But that could mean higher costs as well. I would image that the rebels might have some funding from secret supports such as struggling systems under empire control. Maybe even the Hutts if they believe it is worth the cost to keep the Empire to busy to worry about coming into their space.

Basically what I am trying to say is that fans need to keep an open mind. If the story unfolds in a way different that what you think it should be... that doesn't make it wrong.

With no real canon established yet, that is a possibility. You could also argue that some rebel craft used even predates the clone wars. Just because we don't see them and the republic does not utilize them, does not mean they did not exist. They could have been utilized by planetary system defense forces like Naboo's N-1. It's not like 20-30 years make ships obsolete. The US Military uses aircraft older than that. The Falcon is very old and no one seems to have issue with that.

However, some or all the rebel craft could be new to heavily used but recent technology. The ship's could be donated by various planetary systems, such as the Mon Cal provided the capital ships. I always felt that different military groups from other systems donated weapons, uniforms, flight gears, etc.. which is why uniformity varies. I would imagine that rebels might have a hard time otherwise getting a ship manufacture to provide them ships directly for fear of the wrath of the empire. Of course there might be manufactures in the outer rim in Hutt controlled space. But that could mean higher costs as well. I would image that the rebels might have some funding from secret supports such as struggling systems under empire control. Maybe even the Hutts if they believe it is worth the cost to keep the Empire to busy to worry about coming into their space.

Basically what I am trying to say is that fans need to keep an open mind. If the story unfolds in a way different that what you think it should be... that doesn't make it wrong.

I totally agree.

I'm one of the few people here who is happy to get rid of the expanded universe. Very little of it was ever canon, yet people treated it as gospel.Lucas didn't even moderate it that closely.

But now tha it's under the disney umbrella, it will probably be moderated quite well

Last edited:

You also have to consider that until the events of Jedi the Rebels still worked largely on the cell concept with each cell operating independently of each other. So going with that idea, Leia's cell didn't have access to A & B wings and it wasn't until we saw the fleet action in Jedi that the cells united form a fleet to actually engage an Imperial fleet head to head.

There's also the matter of the intended roles of the various fighter craft we see; the X-Wing seems to be a general purpose space superiority fighter used for largely hit an run ops, the Y-Wing is more of a strike craft like the F-15E or F-105 that's also used for hit and run ops nut with more heavy firepower than the X-Wings. The A-Wing seems to be an interceptor used to intercept incoming enemies and protect bases and capital ships. The B-Wing seems to be a heavy hitter designed to attack things that are too large and/or strong for X & Y-Wings but small enough to not need a capital ship to deal with. Going with that idea it could be said that we didn't see A & B-Wings until Jedi because Leia's cell didn't need them because nothing they were doing required that kind of specialized craft.

You also have to consider that until the events of Jedi the Rebels still worked largely on the cell concept with each cell operating independently of each other. So going with that idea, Leia's cell didn't have access to A & B wings and it wasn't until we saw the fleet action in Jedi that the cells united form a fleet to actually engage an Imperial fleet head to head.

There's also the matter of the intended roles of the various fighter craft we see; the X-Wing seems to be a general purpose space superiority fighter used for largely hit an run ops, the Y-Wing is more of a strike craft like the F-15E or F-105 that's also used for hit and run ops nut with more heavy firepower than the X-Wings. The A-Wing seems to be an interceptor used to intercept incoming enemies and protect bases and capital ships. The B-Wing seems to be a heavy hitter designed to attack things that are too large and/or strong for X & Y-Wings but small enough to not need a capital ship to deal with. Going with that idea it could be said that we didn't see A & B-Wings until Jedi because Leia's cell didn't need them because nothing they were doing required that kind of specialized craft.

Exactly. Great points.

I also think that Yavin had not completely amassed all their forces at the time. Remember during the ceremony, all those pilots in the crowd? Where did they come from? I have to believe that they arrived after the battle and were there to help with the base evacuation. I think it shows how rushed that ceremony was... Those guys didn't even have time to take off their helmets. :p

star-wars-medals.jpg

BTW: I just notice that particular group of pilots don't like to tuck their pant legs into their boots.

I also have to believe that the rebel forces may represent a sizable amount the rebel forces but not all of them. I got to believe they still had forces operating for other reason or not able to join the fleet in other areas of the galaxy.

I also have to believe that the rebel forces may represent a sizable amount the rebel forces but not all of them. I got to believe they still had forces operating for other reason or not able to join the fleet in other areas of the galaxy.

Exactly, just like the Imperial fleet we saw at the Battle of Endor can't possibly have represented the entirety of the Imperial Fleet. Although a lot of fans like to point to the defeat of the Imperial Fleet over Endor as the destruction of the entire Imperial Fleet it just doesn't track for a number of reasons. For one thing, we know that the Empire is huge and and an empire as large as the Empire would certainly have many more ships than what we saw over Endor.

Secondly, it's even mentioned in dialogue that the Executor isn't the only SSD out there and that the Empire has lots of them and presumably each one is in command of a fleet along the same lines as we at Endor. This strongly suggests that the Emperor did not commit the entirety of the Imperial Fleet to battle the Rebels over Endor.

Lastly, militaries simply don't commit their entire force to a battle or even a war. A good example of this is the US Civil War, what most people don't realize that the Army of the Potomac was not another name for the US Army at the time, it was merely one of several armies in the Union military/army whose area of responsibility was the eastern part of the US around PA & MD, which happened to be the area where the primary Confederate army, The Army of Northern Virginia, was operating. In Star Wars terms, the Imperial fleet we saw was probably just the fleet for that particular sector of space, maybe with some reinforcements but almost certainly not every last ship in the Imperial Fleet. These other fleets would need to be where they are in order to secure/guard the sectors of space they're assigned to and they'd need to be kept in place on the chance that attack on the Death Star 2 was just a feint and their real objective was elsewhere or it was part of a multi-pronged attack and if they moved the entire Fleet, or even a bulk of it to Endor it would have left other parts of the Empire vulnerable to attack by the Rebels.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back