The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

I'll eventually be starting a separate thread detailing all my Guardians projects but I figured that I've been sitting on these images and talking about them for far too long without showing them off, while I was working on stuff for a facebook page about my work. So below (finally) are some photos of my first-version Star Lord short jacket and pants.

Both of these were made before the bluray came out and done 100% from scratch, on a Husqvarna sewing machine from the 1950s. Nothing was bought, beyond the base materials- not even the patterns. The fabric was printed and dyed by me as well. They're not perfect but they are made to be functional garments, not just for show. This was my first try at making a jacket and pants of this type (as well as the first time I've sewn anything in years) so concessions had to be made and I had to do a lot of adjusting to get the fit right, but I know where the inaccuracies are. Most of them are minor things, but there are a couple details I'm really not happy with. (There are also a few details that I'm proud to have gotten right, like the properly cut shoulders.) I have Version 2s planned, but not until after I do the trenchcoat, finish all the prop equipment and a 1:1 Rocket & Groot.

I've tried to color-correct the photos to be true-to-life but variations in light and/or flash usage make it hard to be 100% consistent. (I should get a better mannequin though, so that I can hang garments properly for photographing.)

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• StarLord_05_JFX..jpg
    StarLord_05_JFX..jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,520
  • StarLord_04_JFX..jpg
    StarLord_04_JFX..jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,525
  • StarLord_03_JFX..jpg
    StarLord_03_JFX..jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,528
  • StarLord_02_JFX..jpg
    StarLord_02_JFX..jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,550
  • StarLord_01_JFX.jpg
    StarLord_01_JFX.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,556
Last edited:
I'll eventually be starting a separate thread detailing all my Guardians projects but I figured that I've been sitting on these images and talking about them for far too long without showing them off, while I was working on stuff for a facebook page about my work. So below (finally) are some photos of my first-version Star Lord short jacket and pants.

Both of these were made before the bluray came out and done 100% from scratch, on a Husqvarna sewing machine from the 1950s. Nothing was bought, beyond the base materials- not even the patterns. The fabric was printed and dyed by me as well. They're not perfect but they are made to be functional garments, not just for show. This was my first try at making a jacket and pants of this type (as well as the first time I've sewn anything in years) so concessions had to be made and I had to do a lot of adjusting to get the fit right, but I know where the inaccuracies are. Most of them are minor things, but there are a couple details I'm really not happy with. (There are also a few details that I'm proud to have gotten right, like the properly cut shoulders.) I have Version 2s planned, but not until after I do the trenchcoat, finish all the prop equipment and a 1:1 Rocket & Groot.

I've tried to color-correct the photos to be true-to-life but variations in light and/or flash usage make it hard to be 100% consistent. (I should get a better mannequin though, so that I can hang garments properly for photographing.)

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=487813&d=1433947463

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=487812&d=1433947463

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=487811&d=1433947463

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=487810&d=1433947463

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=487809&d=1433947463

Amazing stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Holy smokes! Incredible work JT!!

You should be VERY proud of the jacket and pants, they are the best I've seen apart from the movie ones, any Star Lord fan seeing these photos will agree I'm sure :)

Now, I'm about to go get a brush and scoop up my brain that just exploded all over the floor..

Last edited:
Been lurking on this thread for a long time.. Saw Kevin's Star Lord in person a couple weeks ago at Dallas comic con, he killed it, amazing costume.fqnVQwq.jpg I wasn't ready for a con but went casual anyways with a members only jacket haha felt like something Star Lord would think was rad. but slowly with all of yalls great references Its coming together.

But I finally upgraded and got my real TPS-L2 in the mail

how have you guys attached yours to your belt? without the blue leather case there isn't a good way to holster it.

Last edited:
I got a simple metal belt clip (courtesy of @starlordquill ) and used a Command strip to attach it to the back. No damage done and holds great

Awesome thanks! yeah that sounds perfect. after shelling out for the real thing I really didn't want to do anything permanant to the back. Watching the movie it seems there is nothing on the back of his so nothing to be screen accurate about, as far as i could see.

Just a 10-4 using a real TPS-L2, I thought I was being clever using E6000 to glue on a clip on the back of mine. Worked great at one con, and the second day into another con I bent over and had a mini heart attack as I watched the real deal hit the carpeted floor. AA's go flying and while there is no cosmetic damage, it certainly was a wake up call. Whatever clip you guys use, make sure it's looped to the belt. I thought my $450 investment had busted.

@ JOATRASH FX
Really absolutely amazing! :love How did you figure out the color of the pants!? I'm astonished ! Can't wait to read the thread you will make about the details of the Guardians project you have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shut the front door! Wow Joe... Those pants are unbelievable! I see the corduroy,but what other fabrics did you use? What material is the main one used for the Pants?

Shut the front door! Wow Joe... Those pants are unbelievable! I see the corduroy,but what other fabrics did you use? What material is the main one used for the Pants?

Thanks everyone. : )

The other correct fabrics are denim and cotton canvas. Some have reported that the lower-legs (hidden in the boots) displayed at the FIDM a few months ago used stretch-denim or some other elastic but I haven't yet gone to the trouble of adding that. When I looked at them from a few inches away I kinda thought it looked like denim, but I was there to study the coat and not the pants. (Also, in some copies of the pants the corduroy was swapped with moleskin.)

I actually dyed and bleached all three fabrics back and forth until I was happy with the "faded black" look. When the shades didn't match up, they looked ridiculous. (The shape of the zipper flap is such that you REALLY don't want it to stand out...)

There are so many Star Lord threads I can't remember where I saw it, but somebody had posted a good profile shot of the screen used gun, right? Can anybody repost that here?

Those are great shots, but is there anything that's situated a little more perfectly in profile? I'm trying to get an accurate scale for the guns based on a known measurement.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back