Best Rattle Can Dull, Flat, Matte Spray.

Boxcar Bret

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I don't have an airbrush and I'm wondering what brands of dull/matte/flat clear coat rattle can spray can you recommend. On my last model build I used Krylon dull spray and it was more like a flat satin.

In anticipation of my Bandai TIE Fighter build I'm looking for something that gives a light sucking, super flat look.

Thanks!

Testors repackaged to a universal can label, caused me some trouble when I went looking... so you have to look at the cap where the barcode sticker is, should say 1260 dullcote.

Testers Dull-Coat. light blue label / white letters or white label / black letters. Both are the same thing.

called spray lacquer. has a clear frosted cap that says 1260 DULLCOTE.

NOTE: if you spray 2-3 cans worth on what ever your covering it has a slight tendency to become semigloss.

I recommend airbrushing Alclad II flat and satin top coats if you are spraying delicate work - supernaturally flat and much less sputtery than rattle cans.

- - - Updated - - -

Buy a Badger low-end single action airbrush (the blue plastic one that comes with the propellant can - they are cheap) and a bottle of AlcladII flat. It kills reflections like a black hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwrDHc5tWgg

Also note, I believe Testers dull coat is not actually a protectant, it literally just mattes a finish

If you need a protectant/sealer many will spray a gloss varnish first, then dull coat it

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back