Truly epic animated series... Recommendations?

If there's a sequel then I'm hopeful. I enjoyed the first half very much and was missing that setting very much and its fleshed out MMORPG elements.
The second half faerie-world setting was a little flat footed IMO.
A "gun" setting does sound interesting, though.

If you liked SAO then you might want to check out Log Horizon, it's similar to SAO in that it deals with people trapped inside an MMO but the focus is different. Log Horizon focuses on several characters and their relationships to each other, & other players, as well as the world they're trapped in, they also show more of the game world explaining the characters' classes and what they do, they even give some info on some of the monsters in the game, and even have some NPCs as characters.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
The spring season of new anime is a few weeks in and the major titles I've been watching are Black Bullet, Akuma no Riddle, Blade and Soul and Gokukoku no Brynhildr. And of course, after a year long hiatus, Fairy Tail is back with new episodes! And for some reason, I decided to rewatch Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) again.

The summer season is what I'm waiting for with Sword Art Online II, P4G and Sailor Moon Crystal set to start then.

No one has mentioned one of the greatest long running anime series no one seems to have ever heard of, Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

The story is staged in the distant future within our own Milky Way Galaxy, approximately in the late 36th century. A portion of the galaxy is filled with terraformed worlds inhabited by interstellar traveling human beings. For 150 years two mighty space powers have intermittently warred with each other: the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance.

Within the Galactic Empire, based on mid 19th century Prussia, an ambitious military genius, Reinhard von Müsel, is rising to power. He is driven by the desire to free his sister Annerose, who was taken by the Kaiser as a concubine. Later, he wants not only to end the corrupt Goldenbaum dynasty but also to defeat the Free Planets Alliance and to unify the whole galaxy under his rule.
In the Free Planets Alliance Star Fleet is another genius, Yang Wen Li. He originally aspired to become a historian through a military academy, and joined the tactical division only out of need for tuition money. He was rapidly promoted to an admiral because he demonstrated excellence in military strategy in a number of decisive battles and conflicts. He becomes the archrival of Reinhard, though they highly respect one another. Unlike Reinhard he is better known for his underdog victories and accomplishments in overcoming seemingly impossible odds and mitigating casualties and damages due to military operations.
As a historian, Yang often predicts the motives behind his enemies and narrates the rich history of his world and comments on it. One of his famous quotes is: "There are few wars between good and evil; most are between one good and another good."
Besides the two main heroes, the story is full of vivid characters and intricate politics. All types of characters, from high nobility, admirals and politicians, to common soldiers and farmers, are interwoven into the story. The story frequently switches away from the main heroes to the Unknown Soldier fighting for his life on the battlefield.
There is a third neutral power nominally attached to the Galactic Empire called the Phezzan Dominion, a planet-state (city-state on a galactic scale) which trades with both warring powers. There is also a Terraism cult, which claims that humans should go back to Earth, gaining popularity throughout the galaxy. Throughout the story executive political figures of Phezzan in concert with the upper-hierarchy of the Terraism cult orchestrate a number of conspiracies to shift the tide of the galactic war so that it may favor their objectives.

I've watched this massive series through twice already, absolutely enthralling.

Also add in Last Exile and Claymore as two more great series.

Last edited:
Revisiting this thread as the summer anime season has now begun.

Shows that I have on my must watch list: Tokyo Ghoul (first episode was WOW), Sailor Moon Crystal, Akame ga Kill, Sword Art Online II and Persona 4: The Golden Animation.

The original STAR WARS: CLONE WARS. I sent a copy to a friend of mine in Austria, and her friends were not only stunned, but somewhat jealous that she got a copy and they didn't. :)

And revisiting this thread yet again. Fall anime season has started with a bang. Some of the more notable titles are the second seasons of Psycho-Pass, Chaika and Log Horizon. Others that I have started or waiting for are Terra Formars, Trinity 7, Cross Ange and Rage of Bahamut. There's also the reboot of my all time favorite series, Fate/stay night.

I know there are some anime lovers on this forum, so I'm wondering, if anything, that you're looking forward to watching?

Aeon Flux, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell series, Appleseed, Trigun, Blue Gender, and Kiddy Grade (don't be fooled by the title) would be my favorite animations/anime.

And reviving this thread again since most of the fall/winter shows are winding down, the new stuff coming in January is pretty big:

Absolute Duo
Durarara Season 2
Tokyo Ghoul Season 2
Kantai Collection
Juuou Mujin no Fafnir
Sengoku Musou (Samurai Warriors)
Kuroko no Basket Season 3
Aldnoah Zero Season 2

And has anybody watched Akame ga Kill? Game of Thrones has nothing on this show when it comes to the deaths of beloved characters.

And reviving this thread again since most of the fall/winter shows are winding down, the new stuff coming in January is pretty big:

Absolute Duo
Durarara Season 2
Tokyo Ghoul Season 2
Kantai Collection
Juuou Mujin no Fafnir
Sengoku Musou (Samurai Warriors)
Kuroko no Basket Season 3
Aldnoah Zero Season 2

And has anybody watched Akame ga Kill? Game of Thrones has nothing on this show when it comes to the deaths of beloved characters.

Akame ga Kill was actually recommended to me today by a friend. I went looking for the DVD set but apparently it's only been broadcast on TV so far. I will definitely pick it up when it comes out on DVD.

Akame ga Kill was actually recommended to me today by a friend. I went looking for the DVD set but apparently it's only been broadcast on TV so far. I will definitely pick it up when it comes out on DVD.

The season (no word on a second season and none expected) just ended yesterday. It's going to be an 8 volume DVD/BR set. Volumes 1 and 2 are out. Volume 3 is coming out next week. Unfortunately, they're only available as an import on this side of the world. In other words, very expensive especially the Blu-Rays.

I haven't seen the OP chime in any time recently. Curious to see if he's watched any of the recommendations and what he thought.

For epic, my short list is still:

-The Superdimension triptych: Superdimension Fortress Macross, Superdimension Century Orguss, and Superdimension Cavalry Southern Cross. Sammy the bridge bunny actually crosses over between Macross and Orguss, but otherwise they're unrelated. Following on from Macross, I do also recommend Macross: Do You Remember Love, Macross II, Macross Plus, and bits of Macross 7, and the video game Macross Zero.

-Despite the radically altered storyline and the contortions to try to make everything fit together, I do also love Robotech, including its new content Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles.

-Space Battleship Yamato cannot get enough mention. The original three series, in Japanese, the condensed-story live-action film from 2010, and the new Space Battleship Yamato: 2199, which basically is just a reanimation of the original, but holy crap it looks good with modern production values.

-Leiji Matsumoto's other space operas -- all the Captain Harlock/Queen Emeraldas stuff and Galaxy Express 999.

-Armored Troopers VOTOMS and Dougram occupy the same neuron for me, even though the stories are very different. These are the too-often-unsung mecha epics that get missed by a lot of people behind all the attention Gundam, Macross, and Voltron get.

-Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki. That's the Tenchi OVA series. I like the TV serieses, too, but the OVAs tend to feel more serious in tone, despite their occasional swerves into zaniness, and I love them muchly.

-ReBoot and Beast Wars have gotten mention here and while I love the stories, the writing and animation haven't stood the test of time. Both of these I'd love to see re-done a bit more seriously. I don't mean make them more sombre -- just maybe eliminate the pratfalls and music stings and update the animation.

-The one, the only, the original Generation One... Transformers. Yeah, a lot of its writing hasn't stood up, and I will still skip several episodes outright, but the overall story arc is good, the characterization is great, and when you incorporate the Japanese serieses that pick up where the US series left off (Headmasters, Victory, and Zone), there's some pretty damn nice content to pick from.

-I'll add my voice to those praising the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. It was a lot smarter than many of its contemporaries, and I'd love to see it updated/resumed, too.

-These two are seriously obscure. If you didn't happen to catch them when they were originally around, you've almost missed 'em. Robotix and Starriors. Like the Rifts movie, many came to doubt they ever actually saw them in the first place. Robotix is finally out on DVD. Starriors... is messy. There were six mini-comics included with the toys, and a couple follow-on audio books to those. Marvel did a nice four-issue limited series that stuck fairly closely to the actual story, with only a little bit of "Marvelizing". There were animated commercials, and Tomy said there was an animated series in development that would air in the fall and winter of 1985... I and others recall seeing at least an episode, but even if we're still waiting the mini-comics are worth a read.

-Related to the above, Zoids. For simple semi-model-kit wind-up toys, there's a lot of narrative going on with them. I need to sit down with all the anime series so I can decide which are more worth watching, but check out the Wiki article to get an idea where to start.

-Gundam Wing. Yes, I know Gundam in general has a lot of fans, and I've watched a lot of the series over the years. Of all the different takes on the same premise, I find Gundam Wing the most epic and compelling -- even if I think the main character's a bigger idiot than Rick Hunter/Hikaru Ichijoe.

-Crying Freeman. Anime and manga both can be a little hard to get through if you're triggered by violence, but it's a pretty moving story. Ceramic artist gets brainwashed/conditioned Manchurian Candidate style into an assassin for the Chinese mafia. Gets his sobriquet from the fact that he is crying when he kills, because he's still there inside watching what he's doing.

That's a good start. I have more, depending on whether you want more humor in there, or don't mind if the series was left hanging, or are okay with self-contained movies instead of long-form stories told as OVA series...

--Jonah

-The Superdimension triptych: Superdimension Fortress Macross, Superdimension Century Orguss, and Superdimension Cavalry Southern Cross. Sammy the bridge bunny actually crosses over between Macross and Orguss, but otherwise they're unrelated. Following on from Macross, I do also recommend Macross: Do You Remember Love, Macross II, Macross Plus, and bits of Macross 7, and the video game Macross Zero.

I've not seen Orguss or the Japanese version of Southern Cross, but I've seen a bunch of the Macross offshoots, and I'm kinda surprised you included Macross II. Macross 7 is also...difficult...to get through, but there's an ok story hiding behind a lot of annoying stuff and recycled animation. I still haven't seen Frontier, Zero, or DYRL, though.

Armored Troopers VOTOMS and Dougram occupy the same neuron for me, even though the stories are very different. These are the too-often-unsung mecha epics that get missed by a lot of people behind all the attention Gundam, Macross, and Voltron get.

VOTOMS is...odd. On its face, and at the start of the show, it's a fairly straightforward "real robot" mecha show. But it gets progressively weirder over time. The one thing I'd say is orient your mind to accepting the notion that there may be higher powers at work. Dougram I haven't finished yet, but it's enjoyable up to about the halfway point where I am. It's a lot more political, so the translations are pretty important. Don't just get some weak "HK sub" and figure you can get by on "close enough" translations.

Gundam Wing. Yes, I know Gundam in general has a lot of fans, and I've watched a lot of the series over the years. Of all the different takes on the same premise, I find Gundam Wing the most epic and compelling -- even if I think the main character's a bigger idiot than Rick Hunter/Hikaru Ichijoe.

As an introduction to the Gundam universe, yes, I agree. However, I find Gundam Wing to be pretty middling when you get more into the whole Gundam oeuvre. Story-wise, I think the bulk of the Universal Century stuff is really good. In chronological order, that's:

- Gundam 0079 (a.k.a. "First Gundam") -- this is the template on which nearly every Gundam show is modeled in some form or other.
- Gundam: The 08th MS Team -- a nice side-story that plays a bit fast and loose with the continuity, but is still enjoyable.
- Gundam 0083 -- A bit overwrought, but hey, it was the early 90s when this was done. And it gives you a coda that shows how you get to...
- Gundam Z (a.k.a. Zeta Gundam) -- Arguably the best of the whole run.
- Gundam ZZ (a.k.a. Double Zeta Gundam) -- this one is actually the weakest of the bunch, but still includes some interesting stuff. It's a bit too comic, especially coming on the heels of Gundam Z and taking place almost immediately after it, but it gets better towards the end.
- Char's Counter Attack -- enjoyable, but all too brief.
- Gundam F91 -- this one is also WAY too brief, and almost incomprehensible, story-wise. But that's because they took an entire 52-episode run and squished it into a 2 hr movie. Gorgeous visuals, though.
- Gundam-V (a.k.a Victory Gundam) -- one of the better entries, albeit plagued by relatively weak early-90s animation.

There's also Gundam 0080 and Gundam Unicorn, but I haven't seen those.

And none of that gets into the alternate universes, which also have some terrific stories. So, like I said, Gundam Wing is good, but it's not what I'd consider the best. But what do I know. I love Gundam X. :)

As a side note, I've been enjoying Attack on Titan, although I gather it's only one season so far, and the season doesn't wrap up with a concluded story and all mysteries explained. There's apparently a 2nd season in the works.

I've not seen Orguss or the Japanese version of Southern Cross, but I've seen a bunch of the Macross offshoots, and I'm kinda surprised you included Macross II. Macross 7 is also...difficult...to get through, but there's an ok story hiding behind a lot of annoying stuff and recycled animation. I still haven't seen Frontier, Zero, or DYRL, though.

Here are the Wiki entries for Orguss and Southern Cross. Dunno how familiar you might be with the stories of either. I am seriously hoping things don't fall through again for the Orguss DVD release next year. My video tapes are about dead.

I personally love Macross II -- OVA version, not movie version. What is it about II that you hesitate on? The fact it doesn't involve Studio Nue? The fact that it's set so far after the SDFM/DYRL/Plus/7 events? And I got mentally garbled. I love Zero as an OVA. The game I was thinking of was either VF-X or VO (Valkyrie Overdrive). That was a period of much mental fog for me...

VOTOMS is...odd. On its face, and at the start of the show, it's a fairly straightforward "real robot" mecha show. But it gets progressively weirder over time. The one thing I'd say is orient your mind to accepting the notion that there may be higher powers at work.

I love VOTOMS. One of my old, defunct online handles was LastRedShoulder. *heh* I love the dips into the surreal. I'm a longtime fan of things that leave me vaguely unsettled and make me think, like The Wall or A Clockwork Orange or Twin Peaks.

Dougram I haven't finished yet, but it's enjoyable up to about the halfway point where I am. It's a lot more political, so the translations are pretty important. Don't just get some weak "HK sub" and figure you can get by on "close enough" translations.

Arg! Yeah. God save us from crappy translations/voice-work. I'm looking at whoever translated the primary propulsive and offensive systems from Space Battleship Yamato as "ripple engine" and "ripple cannon". I adore Dougram. The story's decent, but the mecha are first-rate.

As an introduction to the Gundam universe, yes, I agree. However, I find Gundam Wing to be pretty middling when you get more into the whole Gundam oeuvre.

Enh. To each their own? ;) I like your overview/primer, and agree that's a good viewing order... But it also serves to remind me how much I would love to see someone do to Gundam what was done with Space Battleship Yamato: 2199. New, good, consistent animation. Updated character and mecha animation models. And hammer out the inconsistencies to make it a truly epic and consistent story arc. I've always hated the reboot-after-reboot model of Japanese animation. I like ongoing, even generational stories.

--Jonah

Here are the Wiki entries for Orguss and Southern Cross. Dunno how familiar you might be with the stories of either. I am seriously hoping things don't fall through again for the Orguss DVD release next year. My video tapes are about dead.

Southern Cross I only really know from its adaptation as the Masters cycle in Robotech, which I gather does the usual Carl Macek chop-job on the source material. That was always my least favorite part of Robotech, if only because it seemed to bear so little resemblance to the Macross material (whereas the Invid/Mospeada cycle generally has the same/right "vibe" to it).

Orguss I know very, very little about, other than some vague familiarity with the mecha due to Takatoku's toy line, and having read some wiki stuff before. I'm curious about it, though.

I personally love Macross II -- OVA version, not movie version. What is it about II that you hesitate on? The fact it doesn't involve Studio Nue? The fact that it's set so far after the SDFM/DYRL/Plus/7 events? And I got mentally garbled. I love Zero as an OVA. The game I was thinking of was either VF-X or VO (Valkyrie Overdrive). That was a period of much mental fog for me...

I only saw it once, and I think I saw the film version? It was on VHS back in the late 90s. I forget which US company handled it. I just remember the story not really jiving with hardly anything that came before or after. I gather fans have taken to treating it, much like DYRL, as a "film" that was actually from the "real" continuity of Zero/SDFM/Plus/7/Frontier. I only have dim memories of it, though.

I love VOTOMS. One of my old, defunct online handles was LastRedShoulder. *heh* I love the dips into the surreal. I'm a longtime fan of things that leave me vaguely unsettled and make me think, like The Wall or A Clockwork Orange or Twin Peaks.

Yeah, VOTOMS is great. My point is just that it's not a straight-up mecha show, with robotic armors beating the lubricant out of each other. I actually picked up a trade paperback a year or two ago, on deep, deep discount at some "We're clearing out our stock" sale at a local comic shop, called "Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Sole Survivor." It tells a very, very little bit of backstory on Chirico, prior to the mission where he first encounters Fianna, and then includes basically the first episode of the anime. It wasn't bad. I think it's better to read after seeing the whole thing, because there are some sequences that will make ZERO sense to someone unfamiliar with the material. Like, how a guy can be literally 1' away from Chirico, with a gun pointed at his head, pull the trigger, and still somehow miss.

Oh, and if you're a Twin Peaks fan and from the Salish region, I'm gonna assume you've been to the various shooting locations like the Salish Lodge, Snoqualmie Falls, the Mar-T Diner, etc. Sadly, the "cherry pie" is more like cherry pie material in a bowl, rather than an actual slice of pie. And the interior is nothing like the set they used. But it's still fun. :)

Arg! Yeah. God save us from crappy translations/voice-work. I'm looking at whoever translated the primary propulsive and offensive systems from Space Battleship Yamato as "ripple engine" and "ripple cannon". I adore Dougram. The story's decent, but the mecha are first-rate.

Oh, I've seen other translations from Yamato that are equally garbled. The worst I've ever seen, though, was an HK sub version of Gundam 0079 that I picked up on ebay in the early 2000s. It referred to Amuro as "Yabao." The rest of the subs were total gibberish. Worse than the "Backstroke of the West" translation of Revenge of the Sith, which is at least funny. Bad subs are pretty hard to deal with.

And I LOVE the Dougram mecha, along with the old Macross mecha, and the other "unseen" mechs from the original Battletech game. Great designs.

Enh. To each their own? ;) I like your overview/primer, and agree that's a good viewing order... But it also serves to remind me how much I would love to see someone do to Gundam what was done with Space Battleship Yamato: 2199. New, good, consistent animation. Updated character and mecha animation models. And hammer out the inconsistencies to make it a truly epic and consistent story arc. I've always hated the reboot-after-reboot model of Japanese animation. I like ongoing, even generational stories.

Yeah, the original animation from 0079 is...not amazing, by comparison with modern anime. But then, neither is the original Yamato. The thing I appreciate, though, is how anime evolved over time. Yamato is kind of a good starting point, and by comparison, Gundam 0079 is actually an improvement. And then Macross is an improvement on that, and Gundam Z is an improvement on that, and so on and so forth. It isn't really until the mid-90s (when you get into the G and V eras) that I find the animation getting kinda dodgy. But then it picks up again with Gundam Wing and Gundam X.

Personally, though, I think folks should get started with Gundam stuff with the original material, if only because future entries will look that much better, but you'll still be able to appreciate the stories. Kinda like going through all the old Doctor Who stuff. If you can get past the wobbly sets and the storytelling techniques that they had to do for the serial nature of the show, the underlying stories are (usually) pretty good. Some are weak, but taken in context, they're pretty strong, much like the original Star Trek episodes. Solid concepts, "cheesy" execution (but at least "fair to middling" FX/props-wise for their time).

All that aside, I'd love to see a really new, full series take on the early Gundam series. Apparently they re-released Gundam Z (with a different ending, too) as 3 films. I haven't seen 'em but I'd bet the animation is pretty good.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back