Hellboy Prop: Broom's Box. Need info.

Thanks, Rob!

Aging solution testing is beginning.

Here is a test of potassium permanganate on oak. Vinegar/steel wool to follow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394316294.002613.jpg

The base wood looks a little dark as it is still damp. This brown color was obtained almost instantaneously when a saturated solution came in contact with the oak and then was rinsed off immediately. If you look closely you can see that it darkens the different parts of the grain differentially.

This looks to be perfect for down in the logo, lettering, corners and crevices. Maybe a more dilute solution for overall toning?

Holy crap I love this thread. I'm sorry for the delay. I had to make that photo collection private, some had found me even via my misnamed flickr account and I wanted all pix of my family offline. But I've tried to answer questions:
How is the front panel hinged: indeed via two pins. One on either side of the box.
The madonna panel is hinged as well, the hinges are buried in slots in the right hand side of the door so that they're not visible with the door either open or closed. It is indeed a hook clasp, I've included a pic here.
Included also is a closeup of the handle and the closing hasp for the box. As well as the inside. The black duct tape was there when I bought it. Only one of the rosaries was there, I added the rest.

Evernote Camera Roll 20140308 150052.jpgEvernote Camera Roll 20140308 150131.jpgEvernote Camera Roll 20140308 150116.jpgEvernote Camera Roll 20140308 150037.jpgEvernote Camera Roll 20140308 150044.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Adam! Always good to confirm those guesses and "gotta be this way" extrapolations.

The books look to be kind of orangish=red. Any detailed pics would be appreciated

Thanks again.

David

I'm loving this thread and this prop! HB is on my costume list for 2015, I had no idea Lance did pcs for that costume. I got my Big Daddy lid from him last year so I guess I'll be getting in touch with him again! :D
I spent 15 yrs working as a carpenter and this is finally a prop made from material I'm familiar working with, so I can see tackling it when we get moved and settled into our new home. asavage Great restoration bringing this prop back to "film state". Thanks for starting the thread and sharing so much info. ahoudini Incredible build, I love seeing this level of dedication to accuracy.
The whole thread gets :cool:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Big Daddy! I am eager to see how a real wood worker handles some of the trickier parts, particularly rounding the bottom edge of the front panel so that it doesn't bind as it opens! I used a round over router bit on the inside of the bottom edge of the panel but I still had to cut away some of the bottom edge of the opening after the box was assembled (no fun!). It has, I think, to do with locating the pivot pins accurately at the center of radius of curvature of the rounded bottom edge. I did not do a good job, but I don't think it will be too noticeable after weathering.

Adam,
Is there any evidence for any retaining straps, etc. to hold the items in the lid cubbies when the lid closes? Maybe this was just "Hollywood magic?"

In a PM, Adam replied that there are no restraints evident for keeping the items in the lid when it closes.

Here is the promised vinegar and steel wool aging formula results:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394675848.042250.jpg

I made the solution by steeping pieces if 0000 steel wool in apple cider vinegar for several days (the reaction generates oxygen gas, so don't cap the container tightly!). In the photo, the right side had two quick coats applied and wiped off and the left side had a few smears quickly wiped off. That piece of oak is actually two boards edge-glued together (one above the other in the photo) and you can see how the two boards reacted quite differently.

In this photo of the end grain, you can see that that wood turns quite black:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394676545.221560.jpg

I will be using both the vinegar and steel wool and the potassium permanganate solutions, but in much more dilute concentrations so as to build up color gradually.

Last edited:
Woof...go slow, easy and in moderation with that mix!

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

I made the solution by steeping pieces if 0000 steel wool in apple cider vinegar for several days (the reaction generates oxygen gas, so don't cap the container tightly!).

You say 'several days' - how long did it take? I have some sitting right now... It's gotten a little cloudy, but that's it so far. How can I know when it's ready?

Thanks,

-MJ

Busy building a bunch of animal costumes for a local children's choir and so have not yet begun to weather mine yet. Soon, soon…

Here is a photo to answer a PM:

Close up of the pin on the box's right side:

eheryquv.jpg

There is a matching one on the left. I will cut them off flush once the weathering is complete.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397097726.799274.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397097726.799274.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 143
A testament to hobbies that sit sad and neglected due to life's busy pace ;)

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back