Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

Thx guys no matter how much I googled or searched I could just not get an answer. Now I believe what led alot to my confusion was the "Balance of Terror" episode where when the order for phasers to be fired actually looks like the photon torpedoes. Am I correct on this? I really do need to catch up again on the original series:)

Thx guys no matter how much I googled or searched I could just not get an answer. Now I believe what led alot to my confusion was the "Balance of Terror" episode where when the order for phasers to be fired actually looks like the photon torpedoes. Am I correct on this? I really do need to catch up again on the original series:)

Yes, the phaser effect was shown on screen with flashing white blobs. I recall reading in These are the Voyages Vol. 1 the optical effects house they were using ran out of time.

As much as I love the TOS Remastered stuff, I wish they'd 1) done more research and 2) taken a page from the work Foundation Imaging did on the Director's Cut of TMP and worked to match the color saturation and film grain of the original so the drop-ins were less glaringly obvious. There were references in TOS to "'midships phasers" and Kirk ordering the loading of "torpedo tubes one through six", and it'd be awesome if the visual effects could be updated to show things being fired from points other than the same point on the rim of the lower sensor platform.

I also wouldn't mind a "remastering" of TNG and DS9. A little more dynamism wouldn't be amiss, and some of those battle scenes need serious cleanup. Ships crowded way too closely together, lines of ships facing off against each other in complete obliviousness to the three-dimensionality of space... And given the TNG Technical Manual refers to the Enterprise-D being able to track and fire on multiple targets simultaneously, it'd be nice to see some revisions that reflect that

--Jonah

I have another question it may be a bit silly but on the original series what part of the ship was the caption and his crew seated was is the bubble part or the almond shaped portion? All the blue prints ive seen just point to the the top and say "bridge" Thx guys

how was Khan white in Into Darkness if the timeline divergence occurred when the USS Kelvin came across the Romulans, long after Khan and his people were in cryosleep on the Botany Bay. No matter what changes the divergence caused there should be no way they affected events in the past, so Ricardo Montalban Khan would still be the one on the ship, not Cumberbatch. It's just such a weird change to me when the 2009 reboot worked so well and made the alternate timeline Spock plot work.

Not to defend their casting choice - or, more accurately, their choice of villain - but some Sikhs have fairly light skin. Plus, he may have had the 23rd century version of plastic surgery.

Not to defend their casting choice - or, more accurately, their choice of villain - but some Sikhs have fairly light skin. Plus, he may have had the 23rd century version of plastic surgery.

Yeah it's just such a drastic change to me, and I'm not arguing a "whitewashing" point or anything, more of a continuity issue. I still have head canon about it that Cumberbatch is just a Khan acolyte speaking in a "Legion" sense when he reveals his identity, and the real Khan is still out there. I know it's not supported, but it helps me.

how was Khan white in Into Darkness if the timeline divergence occurred when the USS Kelvin came across the Romulans, long after Khan and his people were in cryosleep on the Botany Bay. No matter what changes the divergence caused there should be no way they affected events in the past, so Ricardo Montalban Khan would still be the one on the ship, not Cumberbatch. It's just such a weird change to me when the 2009 reboot worked so well and made the alternate timeline Spock plot work.

That's the same problem that I had with the casting of Cumberbatch as Khan, going by their own canon Kkan should have been more ethnic looking since Khan's trip into space took place before the split in the timeline. If we are to accept their timeline at face value then Khan, and the rest of his people, should still be asleep and drifting in space aboard the Botany Bay. That is one of the reasons that I felt that JJ & co. should have just bit the bullet and did a hard reboot, then you don't run into continuity issues like that.

That's the same problem that I had with the casting of Cumberbatch as Khan, going by their own canon Kkan should have been more ethnic looking since Khan's trip into space took place before the split in the timeline. If we are to accept their timeline at face value then Khan, and the rest of his people, should still be asleep and drifting in space aboard the Botany Bay. That is one of the reasons that I felt that JJ & co. should have just bit the bullet and did a hard reboot, then you don't run into continuity issues like that.

Yeah exactly, it seems like they needed to choose more definitively what they were doing

Either A) alternate timeline with a hard point of divergence, honoring all established canon put in place before said divergence

Or B) fully scrap all old canon and rewrite your own universe.

It's such a sticking point with me because they were seemingly careful in Trek 2009 to make Spock's presence logical and not break established continuity, while also giving them basically a clean slate. They stumbled by reaching back before the divergence while also throwing casting continuity out the window, which I feel you can only do one or the other. Cast who you want in new roles, or cast correct looking actors in old roles. It's the same to me if the had cast someone of a drastically different ethnicity for Kirk or Spock, because their geneology should be uneffected by the split timelines.

The divergence is well before Trek09. Possibly earlier than First Contact, but that's the easiest schism point. Cochrane met these folks from a ship called Enterprise and as Starfleet got started in the altered timeline, he told Henry Archer about it, and they ultimately decided the lead ship of the "NX" class would be named Enterprise. Where in the unaltered timeline NX-01 was named Dauntless. Plus Cochrane's a smart guy. He apparently absorbed a lot of the techniques, technology, and accidental dropped comments from the Enterprise crew while they were repairing the Phoenix and tech evolved much faster in the altered timeline than in the Prime timeline. The Enterprise of Enterprise was about the size and tech level of the Prime timeline's NCC-1701 (especially after the post-series refit), three-quarters of a century "early".

Meanwhile, the same holds for Trek09's NCC-1701. Everything about it is drastically different from the Prime NCC-1701 -- built entirely on the ground in Riverside, Iowa, instead of the saucer built on the ground in San Francisco and boosted to orbit to be assembled to the drive section built in the orbital yards, only one of its class in existence, rather than one of many, etc. She's roughly the size and tech level of the Prime NCC-1701-D, again three-quarters of a century "early". Even the Kelvin, from before Nero comes through from the future, is larger and more advanced than the Prime NCC-1701, a decade before the latter was launched in her own timeline.

And since Enterprise's NX-01 shows up on Admiral Robocop's credenza, we know it exists in that universe. Whereas, the only thing in the Prime timeline to tie Enterprise to it is the awful finale of the series. And far more working against it. We get a ship larger and more advanced than the Daedalus class that would succeed it a decade later, and then decades of technological stagnation until the Constitution class was launched, then steady progress for another century through TNG and beyond? Easier, and more logical, to dismiss the outlier.

As for Khan, I, too, hold to the notion that Benedict isn't the real Khan, but was the first one woken, and claimed to be his leader to protect him until he was in a better position. Me, I kept hoping up until his character's name was announced that he'd be Gary Mitchell. Benedict would have done spectacularly at going from Kirk's affable friend to over-the-top, scenery-chewing, power-mad godling.

--Jonah

that kind of just blew my face off, that's a depth that I definitely haven't swam in regards to Star Trek. I need to go read up because 80% of that went over my head :lol

I like your idea of Cumberbatch being so loyal to Khan that he claims his name in an act of protection, that's kind of what I was thinking, like a cult-like follower.

My three primary fandoms are Star Wars, Star Trek, and Transformers. I've been swimming in them for most of my life. I've absorbed just about everything that's come out in those universes over the years (except for some of the very old Star Trek fan-fiction, and the newest Transformers animated series), if only so I can critique them from a position of knowledge. For all the older stuff, I can probably make a good run at the claim of knowing more -- in-universe and real-world/behind-the-scenes -- than any living person. Leland Chee could probably give me a run for my money where Star Wars is concerned, but I could run rings around Mike Okuda (bear in mind I like and respect him, but I found his research for his reference books -- which, after their publication, later series and movies used as sources -- painfully lacking). I've spent a lot of time on the history and structure of Starfleet, and tried to clean up the preventable mess of too many time-travel stories that use contradictory temporal mechanics. So this is the sort of stuff I have readily at hand in my brain. It's... an interesting place. :rolleyes

--Jonah

My three primary fandoms are Star Wars, Star Trek, and Transformers. I've been swimming in them for most of my life. I've absorbed just about everything that's come out in those universes over the years (except for some of the very old Star Trek fan-fiction, and the newest Transformers animated series), if only so I can critique them from a position of knowledge. For all the older stuff, I can probably make a good run at the claim of knowing more -- in-universe and real-world/behind-the-scenes -- than any living person. Leland Chee could probably give me a run for my money where Star Wars is concerned, but I could run rings around Mike Okuda (bear in mind I like and respect him, but I found his research for his reference books -- which, after their publication, later series and movies used as sources -- painfully lacking). I've spent a lot of time on the history and structure of Starfleet, and tried to clean up the preventable mess of too many time-travel stories that use contradictory temporal mechanics. So this is the sort of stuff I have readily at hand in my brain. It's... an interesting place. :rolleyes

--Jonah

You need to write that all down as a compendium/addendum to the Star Trek Encyclopedia, I'd love to see where your version of Trek lore differs from the official version and how far off Mike Okuda might have been in writing the Encyclopedia. But I suppose that not too much blame can be placed on him for any errors in the Encyclopedia considering how often the writers would contradict both established canon and internal rules established in the show's bible.

I have. Some years ago. The Cliff's Notes version is, more or less...

Sadly, as with Star Wars, the problem lies with Trek's creator, his ego, and the slavish adoration of those working for him in latter years. I adore Gene Roddenberry, but I also acknowledge his faults. Do you know about Franz Joseph's Technical Manual and Constitution Class booklet of plans from the 1970s? If not, do a quick Google search. He was an aerospace engineer, much like Matt Jeffries, whose daughter (and her friends) was a Trekkie. He never really watched the show, but caught enough of it in the background when his daughter was watching that the engineer in him began pondering how the Enterprise might actually work. He read "The Making of Star Trek" and ordered photos from Lincoln Enterprises (the Roddenberrys' merchandising company). A few years later, he was selling the blueprints from a table at one of the early Star Trek conventions and Gene saw the finished result. He offered to have them published, with his signature granting them official weight. FJ chatted a bit about the notions he'd had percolating since the blueprint project about the sort of organization that would have to exist to support such ships, and the result was the Technical Manual. They became friends, and many bridge inserts in TMP, TWOK, and TSFS were taken from both works.

Meanwhile, Gene offered FJ a job helping him do conceptual art for a new project he was working on. Problem is, FJ was from the world of engineering, where he was used to contractors giving precise parameters and deadlines. Gene was used to the world of television, and was used to people understanding that when he said he wanted something he expected them to have it to him by last week. A minor communications breakdown escalated due to their individual egos and stubbornness to the point that Gene not only fired FJ, not only never talked to him again for the rest of their lives, he declared the blueprints and Technical Manual non-canon, unofficial, and any other tem you want for utter blacklisting. So when FASA was developing their Star Trek role-playing game in the latter half of the '80s, and preproduction started on TNG in 1986, the dictate from above was "ignore FJ for starship designs, names, or registry numbers". Gene even came up with "Roddenberry's Rules of Starship Design" which, between them, invalidated each of the unique (non-Constitution) designs FJ had created.

So FASA and Mike (who was tasked with coming up with ship names and registries for TNG, TVH, TFF, TUC, DS9, and VOY) had to resort to other sources. Both ended up using an article Greg Jein had written for the fan magazine "T-Negative" back in the '70s wherein he laid out how he had used -- in his own words -- a barely-logical method to match up the known Constitution-class ships as of TOS' first sesason (from the memos reproduced in "The Making of Star Trek") with the chart of registry numbers in the episode "Court Martial". This, unfortunately, while placing the Constitution herself at NCC-1700, assigned several Constitution-class ships sub-1700 registries. This in contradiction to what Matt Jeffries had intended when he created that chart, but no one interviewed him until later on, so they didn't know at the time that he had reasoned out the meaning of the Enterprise's registry...

In the early '60s, America's Civil Aviation prefix was NC. He tacked another 'C' onto it to give it a bit of a remove (he found out some years later that the Soviet Union's Civil Aviation prefix was CC, and he like the notion of a symbolic joining of the two big 20th century adversaries in the future setting of Star Trek). Later, as he continued working on the show, he decided that it echoed the wet navy hull codes -- CC for cruisers, and, by extension, DD for destroyers, FF for frigates, etc. The 'N' would be an interstellar-agreed-upon prefix indicating a Federation-registered craft. For the number, he had to exclude anything that would be unclear on the TV screens of the time, and, as he put it, "out of what was left, '1701' was as good as anything". Same after-the-fact rumination. He decided the '17' indicated the Federation's 17th cruiser design, and the '01' the first production hull after the prototype (1700). So when he made that wall chart, the 16xx registries were intended to be cruisers of the class immediately preceding the Constitutions.

So, because Gene got his feathers ruffled over a misunderstanding, everything got borked. And yes, this really is the short version.

--Jonah

...Do you know about Franz Joseph's Technical Manual and Constitution Class booklet of plans from the 1970s?...
Regardless of what Roddenberry or anyone else says, with no disrespect intended, I still consider Franz Joseph's Technical Manual to be more canonical than much of what came after simply because it was so well thought out and well executed.

Exactly. My only quibbles are relatively minor, and as much the fault of the show as FJ. For instance, Main Engineering, the set, was supposed to be the starboard half of the Main Engineering ship location, with Scotty's office straddling the centerline, and the reactor farm extending substantially aft, taking the forced-perspective set into account. And all where Drexler's "master systems display" puts it -- in the secondary hull, forward of the landing bay, right below where the nacelle pylons attach. FJ made the forced-perspective reactors non-forced-perspective, the engineering set the full facility, and placed it in the saucer back at the impulse engines. I have no doubt there is an impulse engineering control room, but Gene mandated that "the engine room" be "down below" in the secondary hull, and Matt Jeffries complied despite thinking the notion primitive. However, both were off the show when the third-season "Day of the Dove" made many mistakes...

The entity took the ship onto the new course of "902 mark 5", which is utter crap. Emergency bulkheads closed at the "lower decks" trapping "almost four hundred crewmen" down there (refined to 392, when the entire crew is 430) -- I have problems with that on many levels. But Scotty, originally in engineering when it happened, was still "abovedecks" with those fighting the Klingons. Then the Klingons took engineering. Spock's sensors tracked the entity to the "engineering section, near reactor number three", which we then saw drifting down the hall while Chekov assaulted Mara, who was sent to take out the main life-support coupling on "number six deck". Ultimately, when the entity leaves the ship -- from engineering, it is shown (originally) leaving the ship kinda at the top of the interconnecting dorsal, right below the saucer (this was revised in the remastered version to leaving the ship right below one of the nacelle pylons). This one episode is the only one that repeatedly delivers the connotation of Main Engineering being at the rear of the saucer, but it's the one FJ went with for some reason.

I also wish he'd known about Jeffries' intentions regarding starship registries before he drew up his lists. He gives the Federation more credit for its shipbuilding capacity than the TOS canon supports (over a hundred Constitution type ships, when Kirk comments that there are "only a dozen like her" and is all too often the only Starship in range to respond to a crisis?). But the general gist of what he did has my full support. I like to think that his Starfleet Headquarters space station was part of the space-based portion of Starbase 11, as that seemed a pretty important command base. And I am the proud owner of one of these posters from the 1970s:

581e9eccfc2e2657585c6ccc96a863db.jpg

And the fact that the Saladin, Ptolemy, and (sort of) Federation classes, map of the Federation, phaser diagram, etc., all appear on bridge displays in TWOK and TSFS, and four ships from his lists in the Technical Manual (Scouts USS Columbia NCC-621 and USS Revere NCC-595, Dreadnought USS Entente NCC-2120, and Heavy Cruiser USS Merrimac NCC-1715) are in the Epsilon IX com chatter in TMP...

--Jonah

latest

I always wanted to know… what are the chase lights under the viewscreen? and makes ping noise?
Are these sensor sweep indicators? And the pings subspace burst ping?
Pleeease anyone?????

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back